• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Worst Pun Contest

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:41 am Reply with quote
^No offense, but in this particular context, I find your comment quite out of place. This is a new column that many agree needs some fixes and most "haters" here are commenting on how they think the column could improve or what the problems are. I think blankslate calling everyone who's offered their opinions on it "haters" is very problematic, especially coming from a mod, because it feels like you're saying we're ridiculous or wasting our time

I've certainly noticed some improvements in the flow of the conversation, it feels less forced than before, and there's some bits of content that are interesting, although most of it still feels a little inconsequential
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
^No offense, but in this particular context, I find your comment quite out of place. This is a new column that many agree needs some fixes and most "haters" here are commenting on how they think the column could improve or what the problems are. I think blankslate calling everyone who's offered their opinions on it "haters" is very problematic, especially coming from a mod, because it feels like you're saying we're ridiculous or wasting our time

No offense taken. Let me clarify. I never used a blanket judgment or blank slate label. I said I personally found it funny how SOME people simply complain about things but yet constantly keep coming back to those things seemingly to just complain. Which is true, some people do just that. We all see it every day here. That's hardly calling everyone who has constructive (key) criticisms a "hater". In fact I never said hater at all so you're reading in between the lines and inserting things I never said. I was also making that personal assessment in a more generalized view by agreeing TarsTarkas's opinion, and not just related to this thread. Call me an old curmudgeon is you wish. I hope that clears that up.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
That's why I said in the specific context of this thread, since I'm not really seeing these serial complainers aside from people giving suggestions on how to improve this very new column that has so far gotten a rather mixed response. The overall "haters gonna hate" tone of the comments prior to yours seems rather uncalled for, is all I'm saying
lukaandco

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:22 am Reply with quote
My two pennies on why some people maybe aren't so hot on this style of column.

I think the idea of a weekly analysis column itself is good - but I think the execution means it tends toward the kind of 'Tumblr speak' that people are taking issue with. I think this style of writing - highly social and colloquial, can feel a touch cliquey and potentially alienating to people, especially if they don't speak/type like that themselves. You're not in with the 'cool' crowd.

I imagine for quite a lot of anime fans - as is the case with perhaps many other internet fandoms, you're essentially operating in a melting pot where lots of different 'kinds' of fans circulate - and when you're essentially rubbing this in people's faces (look at all these people having way more fun and being way more social with their fandom than you!), it can set off a kind of a kneejerk trigger reaction of distaste.

I imagine a lot of anime fans take refuge in the internet in providing the kind of social bonds they don't necessarily easily have in real life - so when you see those same kinds of social 'cliques' (or that kind of parlance) in your online sphere too, I imagine it feels like an unwelcome reminder.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2