• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: The Return of Digimon

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Wait a second. Why are they using the old English dub names? This isn't ever going to air on kids TV, is it?

I guess I can understand using them in the dub, for nostalgic continuity, but I hope they don't turn up in the subtitles for the Japanese track.

All that said, it's beyond amazing to finally see a Digimon release with dual audio. Props to Shout! Factory for that!
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
Wait a second. Why are they using the old English dub names? This isn't ever going to air on kids TV, is it?

I guess I can understand using them in the dub, for nostalgic continuity, but I hope they don't turn up in the subtitles for the Japanese track.

They also use dub terminology like DigiDestined and Digivolve. Because everything has to have 'digi' in it, apparently.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Even if the dub terms are still in it, that doesn't deter the dub, besides the same old names we're used to back in the day. The film is still faithful to the original JP version, with everything intact. (Although the Opening isn't [though changing the audio, with Butter-Fly remix for JP and the Digimon Remix theme in EN], the Ending is [kept the same].)
CCTakato

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
We've known they were using the dub names for the movie dub for months now so why are you acting all shocked now? The Shout Factory subs are exactly the same as the Crunchyroll subs so I don't know why some people are getting upset now after this movie has been streaming for the past two years...?
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:34 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
The Shout Factory subs are exactly the same as the Crunchyroll subs...

Thanks Toei...

Regardless of their quality, I'm just glad that Shout didn't pull what they did with their dubtitled-only Long Way North & Miraculous Ladybug releases and actually released all 3 sub tracks here (as confirmed in this early review, subs for the JP and both closed caption & sign tracks for the dub) and I'll be buying later today.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:47 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
We've known they were using the dub names for the movie dub for months now so why are you acting all shocked now? The Shout Factory subs are exactly the same as the Crunchyroll subs so I don't know why some people are getting upset now after this movie has been streaming for the past two years...?

I haven't been paying attention to movies. I'm interested in seeing them, eventually, but they aren't high on my list.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:47 am Reply with quote
It must be very rare that an English dub is made using a faithful script but also uses the old English dub names, of which the latter adds a sense of nostalgia.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
It must be very rare that an English dub is made using a faithful script but also uses the old English dub names, of which the latter adds a sense of nostalgia.
I know, the podcast "Lost in Translationmon" tears the original series adaptions in half. It makes you feel incredibly guilty for watching the original series dubbed. It's thorough and relentless, give it a listen if you can.

On topic, Tri's dub is VERY faithful to the original. Scarily so. If anything, I say our standards have grown and the dubbers kept this in mind. Great job on their part. I don't regret buying my blu-ray.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:

The same reason why Funimation still uses old English dub names for Dragon Ball because people are so used to them. I think most people think of Digimon, they remember the old dub names and not the Japanese names.

Kadmos1 wrote:

The last two DBZ movies still uses old DBZ dub names like Tien, Krillin, King Kai, Yamcha and Kibito Kai not the correct names like Tenshinhan, Kuririn, North Kaio, Kibitoshin and Yamucha. So it's nothing new.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
The last two DBZ movies still uses old DBZ dub names like Tien, Krillin, King Kai, Yamcha and Kibito Kai not the correct names like Tenshinhan, Kuririn, North Kaio, Kibitoshin and Yamucha. So it's nothing new.

"Krillin" and "Yamcha" are simply transliterations of the former, so technically their correct? Confused
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
The same reason why Funimation still uses old English dub names for Dragon Ball because people are so used to them. I think most people think of Digimon, they remember the old dub names and not the Japanese names.
It's pretty arbitrary, considering one could say the same for Sailor Moon yet the redub by Viz uses the original Japanese names, and that show was far bigger than Digimon ever was in terms of 90s American nostalgia.

Digimon is one of those weird cases where the fanbase misremembers or mislabels things. People who watched the Tamers dub still call it Tamers despite the fact it was never called that in the dub or America. It's official name is 'Digimon Season 3'. It's like saying you love Pocket Monsters but are referring to the Americanized version Pokemon leading to confusion

Both Digimon and Dragonball are currently putting out new shows and games, so there is also probably legal obligation to use the official dub names. Sailor Moon recently had Crystal, which helped the push for a re-dub, but otherwise has been a dormant franchise since it ended

Mr.Oshawott wrote:
"Krillin" and "Yamcha" are simply transliterations of the former, so technically their correct? Confused

Yamcha/Yamucha is pretty irrelevant since his name is based on yum cha, but Krillin loses out on his family's pun for chestnuts (kuri).

-Stuart Smith
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
People who watched the Tamers dub still call it Tamers despite the fact it was never called that in the dub or America. It's official name is 'Digimon Season 3'.

Depends on where you were actually. The show aired up in Canada, where the show on TV was referred to as Season 3, which is technically accurate as they aired back-to-back.

The Cinedigm release also refers to it as Tamers, as does some of the older releases back when the original DVD and VHS releases were coming out although that was way more inconsistent.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
Good news is that movie 2 is scheduled for release here on DVD/BD in August.
XOtaku90

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:23 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Spawn29 wrote:

I watch Dragon Ball ever since 1990 when I became a otaku (Remember the old days of tape tradings? We had to wait forever for Freeza to end). Tenshinhan and Kuririn are always correct since day one. Funimation fudge up the dubs of DBZ back in the day and made it even worst with other characters spelling like "Frieza".

I don't care much for Digimon, but I hear Digimon has always been stuck in some licence issue where they must be dub down only for kiddies.
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:16 am Reply with quote
Can't wait to get this. Dual-audio Digimon DVDs is definitely something I want to support! Plus, I'm looking forward to rewatching this dubbed. This will be the first time I've seen Digimon in English, strangely enough.

I really have to commend Shout for the approach they took with the dub. While a fully uncut dub would have been ideal, this "best of both worlds" approach is the next best thing. I only wish more sequels of nostalgic anime franchises could have taken this approach with their dubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1