• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya Manga Gets Live-Action Hollywood Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I never understand why whenever news like this comes up, the first thing people say is "it's not popular enough to succeed." Hollywood producers, in general, don't care about a pre-existing fanbase. All they know is this property has done well in certain regions, meaning there may be something there for them to pluck at. People speak as if the U.S. has a hard, firm "no Saint Seiya success" policy written down somewhere.

Also,

article wrote:
Toei Animation and Chinese distribution company A Really Good Film Company (ARGF) are co-producing the film.

This sounds made up as hell, lol.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
^ I assure you, this won't succeed in the US market. It might do well in other markets, but there's no way it'll do well here. I would have to assume that the producers are counting on foreign markets to carry the movie, otherwise I have no idea why they'd invest any time or money into making it.

If it does succeed in the US market, I'll be happy to eat crow, but I'm really not worried about that happening.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
^ I assure you, this won't succeed in the US market.

OK, but it won't be because people are allergic to anime adaptations.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

For the US your statement might be true, but I can guarantee that in Latin America, Saint Seiya is only second to Dragon Ball (and maybe Naruto among the younger generation) in terms of mainstream popularity. Neither GiTS nor Speed Racer come anywhere close to that. I don't have a lot of hope for this, but it has a lot of potential of being huge, or at least, attracting a lot of attention.

Oh I completely agree it will be bigger outside America. Especially in Latin countries. No argument there. However, I still doubt it will make enough globally to make any sort of profit. Think about it, to do it justice it'll need a nice big budget. I mean if we want a GOOD version. GITS was around 110 million. I'd say make it an even 100 million needed for a good Saint Seiya movie in terms of visuals and getting good actors. That's just a low ball estimate for a good, not even GREAT, movie with the visuals alone that would be needed. Let alone quality actors (forget ethnicity for a second). I just doubt it has the brand power in the name to do this. For it to make money I would wager the budget would have to be much smaller which would probably equate to an inferior product. Even with a 100 or even 200 mil budget that doesn't automatically mean a good movie obviously. Just tossing out general ideas here.

I do hope we finally get a GOOD live action hollywood adaptation one of these days that makes money and gives them reason to do more properly. I just doubt this will be the movie to set that precedent. I doubt Battle Angel Alita will do it either which is a shame as well.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, I really like Saint Seiya so we'll see what happens.
Niello

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:37 pm Reply with quote
This is a case where I hope they keep the theme and maybe the characters (at least the gold saints and Athena), and just run with an entirely new and more flesh out modern story. The original story is too long for a movie format. It also honestly doesn't stand the test of time. It's full of plot holes and not really that interesting in the first place anyway. They have just rehashed the same formula and setting so many times over the years, it would be nice if we could get something new out of the plot (hopefully deeper) while keeping the cloths, constelletion, cosmo, Sanctuary etc. This sounds negative, but it's really because I feel like some of the concepts has a lot of potential. They just never get realised because despite the various manga and anime adaptations it has, they never really do something that push those elements in meaningful way. The closest to doing this is The Lost Canvas manga, and I'd like to see more of that. On the other hand Ep.G Assassin tried...and become the mess that it is.
perroloco

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:26 pm Reply with quote
@Psycho101:

I am on the same boat as you, but wasn't Deadpool for example made with like $60 millón USD?? I really doubt they would spend $100m on this..

I also think Saint Seiya would nota recover a $100m budget (The last movie, Legend of Sanctuary made $18m...)

but who know I'm no Hollywood expert.
Xeogran

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Wait a moment, somebody from my country (Poland) is involved in this? Now I'm mildly interested, if this movie ever gets to happen.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
eh recently tried watching the original 80s series and couldn't get through the first arc.

its just so damn generic and repetitive.

i mean if this is like any other hollywood anime adaption it might be watchable for me, since it will barely resemble the original.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:07 am Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
eh recently tried watching the original 80s series and couldn't get through the first arc.

its just so damn generic and repetitive.

i mean if this is like any other hollywood anime adaption it might be watchable for me, since it will barely resemble the original.

I'd definitely recommend the manga over the anime. The anime had some terrible filler that really made things drag on way more than it should (plus several major character motivations were just gone and entire relationships were changed).
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:28 am Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
@Psycho101:

I am on the same boat as you, but wasn't Deadpool for example made with like $60 millón USD?? I really doubt they would spend $100m on this..

I'm not sure what the Deadpool budget was but I imagine to this right they'd have to have a larger budget. I mean the special effects alone would be much more then what Deadpool had in it. I agree with you, I doubt they would spend 100mil on Saint Seiya. Which sucks because unless they're going to put the money and effort into doing it right it's not going to be profitable. Honestly at this point with hollywood adaptations that matters most. Even if the movie is actually great if it isn't successful financially studios won't take more risks. Granted a large budget does not automatically mean success, but without that time and money the movie, and others like it, stand even less of a chance of being successful. I hope it does do well because I do want GOOD live action hollywood adaptations to continue. Keyword being good.
Midaro

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:04 am Reply with quote
With the director they've chosen and the actors revealed in imdb, I'm totally for it already. I mean, Godfrey Gao!!! And Mackenyu looks like a perfect choice for Shun. They'd be great in the roles if this is true.

There could be people from all over the world. This film could unite all nationalities under the hope of saving the Earth, which is what the world needs right now.

Oh, I know money is needed but there are a lot of producers supporting this. I will hold some optimism if they're willing to put their hearts into it and let their cosmos burn!!!

¡Dame tu fuerza Pegaso!
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, Saint Seiya's lack of popularity might be a good thing here. Part of the reason Ghost in the Shell and Death Note received so much backlash is due to being franchises a lot of people are familiar with here. But with this being so unknown by a majority of the population, the audience reaction could end up being a lot less critical.

We just have to hope that the movie manages to tell a solid story in the medium it's in. I'm really hoping they pull that off and the movie manages to at least be a moderate success here. If it does, it could result in a resurgence on the anime side of things.
Midaro

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:05 am Reply with quote
I have read that Toei plans to make more international English spoken movies with their animes in the future. Imdb has hidden the cast and director in the entry of the film, so one has to be a Premium member to read it, yet I can still see behind they haven't changed the names. The popularity of the actors has risen a lot in the past few days. I do like the cast and director we have heard of by now. We'll see how it goes.

As a huge fan, I understand that the manga is very hard to translate into a movie, that it can't show everything with the same detail, but I would be happy enough if they were faithful to the characters and the epic, the suffering and drama of the story. I want my heart crying of sadness and happines like when I watched it as a kid. Then, I don't care if they change the design of some of the main armours and other details. Toei says this is for the fans that have supported the anime for 30 years but also for new generations, so I guess that it may be PG13.

Another great live action Toei could make is Candy Candy. It always seemed to me some sort of Anne of Green Gables. I have always thought that a live action series of Candy Candy would be a great success all over the world.
Midaro

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:37 am Reply with quote
They even have my support if they decide to change the knight's hair colour from green, violet and blue to brown. After all, it seems to me that their hair colour's only reason to be is not due to fashion or to any aesthetic movement in most cases, but to distinguish the characters in the drawings, cause they looked a lot a like. So the pink, violet, blue and green hair colours are not necessary in the movies. The film would look more realistic. But the long hair and haircuts are rather cool. I would keep them.

Yet, if they want to keep the colours, I hope they dont' use garish ones, and to use them integrated as an artistic element in the photography and atmosphere of the film.

The Blueray remastered anime is too garish for my taste, though very clean. I have both versions and the original wouldn't hurt my eyes. I could get into the story with no distraction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4