• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III: Part IV to Premiere on Toonami With English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I can't wait to hear Tony Oliver and Richard Epcar back where they belong.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Please tell me the hype is not exaggerated and this won't be a repeat of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I liked the quirky characters but found the plot to be tiresome.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised they're taking a chance on a Lupin III property again. Glad to see it back on TV, though.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Lupin III, Part IV is an action show with comedy, light drama and amazing visuals. What else can you ask to attract a large audience.

Extreme Violence, more sappy love story, fantasy setting? You also don't need to sell me on the show I know it's merits and consider it to be the best series out of the four Lupin shows.

Fenrin wrote:
Please tell me the hype is not exaggerated and this won't be a repeat of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I liked the quirky characters but found the plot to be tiresome.

The series doesn't really have an ongoing plot (or one that's thrown in awkwardly) like JJBA's it also doesn't have characters acting or being hammy for the sake of it.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Lupin the III: part IV airing on Toonami is the best news that I've heard all week and I sure as hell can't wait to watch the dub. Very Happy
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
While this is a surprise, and something thought no one expected to return, but hey, more Lupin is welcome, lol.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Saw this comin' since January!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Super jazzed for this. I feel like that, outside of the Japanese cast, the Red Jacket English dub cast had the most chemistry. Granted, the Funimation cast improved in the Fujiko TV show (it helped they brought in Ruff and Epcar), but they can't compete with Oliver's Lupin and the great balance the rest of the crew have. It's too bad the VA who played Pops retired, but I have faith that Epcar knows what he's doing with casting and direction.

Plus Blue Jacket gives us the best new Lupin character in decades in Nyx.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Just hope that the Toonami audience is into it. Like me more Lupin.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:34 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
The series doesn't really have an ongoing plot (or one that's thrown in awkwardly) like JJBA's it also doesn't have characters acting or being hammy for the sake of it.

I disagree, this series has a lot more of an ongoing story than the previous Lupin series that were numbered.

That's a great deal of why I wonder why it was localized as "Part IV". It's very different from the past series - not anywhere near as lighthearted and silly, and has more of an overarching plot. It's more akin to the Fujiko series from several years back than it is to Lupin series' of the 70s and 80s.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I disagree, this series has a lot more of an ongoing story than the previous Lupin series that were numbered.

That's a great deal of why I wonder why it was localized as "Part IV". It's very different from the past series - not anywhere near as lighthearted and silly, and has more of an overarching plot. It's more akin to the Fujiko series from several years back than it is to Lupin series' of the 70s and 80s.

It's kind of like Cowboy Bebop in the sense that it's mostly episodic, but there's an underlying storyline that they return to now and then.

I would describe Part IV as the Fujiko TV series shone through the Part II prism.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to this big time. Lupin needs more love. Bring on his team's crazy adventures!

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Extreme Violence

As much I hate to cynically paint a large group with the same brush, it's true. Many current generation modern anime viewers in the U.S. are of the "blood, guts and gore" mindset. If visceral action isn't a regular part of the show's content, they just won't care. It's likely why they pay heavy attention to stuff like Attack on Titan and Tokyo Ghoul while ignoring stuff like Gundam Unicorn (despite proudly wearing its massive animation budget on its sleeve) and One Piece (which got the boot for a number of reasons).
KH91

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
That has nothing to do with the show itself so I fail to see why this would even matter.

Of course you fail to see it because I'm not talking about the show itself, but instead the OP of said show, Toonami, and what goes with it. It should be self-explanatory if you've ever watched the block before.
Eivion

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:34 am Reply with quote
Neat, this should please my older brother. The fact that they are using my favorite English cast means I might actually rewatch it as well. I'm pleasantly surprised to see this happen. Hopefully it does well.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:35 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
That has nothing to do with the show itself so I fail to see why this would even matter.

Of course you fail to see it because I'm not talking about the show itself, but instead the OP of said show, Toonami, and what goes with it. It should be self-explanatory if you've ever watched the block before.

We all know you're talking about the OP. We all know you're complaining that it won't show a brief "nip slip" in the OP on the tv broadcast. Who cares though? What you're not doing is actually posting any real opinions on the show itself and the dub which is what this thread is for. That's why I said I fail to see what your complaint has to do with the actual topic and show. All you're doing is basically complaining about not seeing a nipple for less then 1 second. That doesn't add anything of value to the conversation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3