• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Worst Pun Contest

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I thought this week was supposed to have discussions for Tsugumomo, Armed Girls MAchiavellism, Yu-Gi-Oh VRAINS and other shows that don´t have discussion in other sites.

Seriously, how much does one have to wait for those to be discussed in the bonus section? And the main discussion section should have other shows instead of the main four we have now.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
This column is definitely growing on me. I feel like I'm starting to get to know the commentators a lot better... like they're two fellow anime fans I'm "checking in with" each week.

Quote:
Talk about Death of the Author!

Boooooooooo.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
I thought this week was supposed to have discussions for Tsugumomo, Armed Girls MAchiavellism, Yu-Gi-Oh VRAINS and other shows that don´t have discussion in other sites.

I thought they had listened carefully to the comments on the format. Guess we were both wrong. They're still commenting only on the 'hot' shows and the format is still execrable.

I should pay more attention and not click on "This Week in Anime" just because the rest of the title sounds interesting. The content is still lame, and the design of the page is still horrible.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:

Seriously, how much does one have to wait for those to be discussed in the bonus section? And the main discussion section should have other shows instead of the main four we have now.

I don't know they specifically said they would unless I missed something. Tsugumomo and Armed Girls Machiavellism don't really seem like their kind of shows. I don't know about Yu-Gi-Oh but given that none of the TV series have been reviewed on this site AFAIK, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

My patience is wearing thin with this column. Even the bonus wasn't all that interesting to me, given all the shows are already being covered, and their banter hasn't really grown on me. I'll give it another week, but I'm not terribly confident I will read the entire thing even if I stick with it.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, Nick got his ReCreators wish.
PetitePuff

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll finally comment this week:

I'm continuing to enjoy this column Smile it's casual and fun. I like the format. Though, I still find it weird how the episodes being discussed for some of the shows aren't the most recent to have aired (like for Re:Creators and AoT, especially considering they come on within a day of RoB: Virgin Soul, whose most recent episode did get discussed this week Razz)(would obviously prefer if all eps were the most recent, but if it's impossible due to scheduling and deadline issues, then I understand and shan't complain anymore Cool).

Also, in my super personal opinionExclamation, they should kick SukaSuka to the curb Twisted Evil and promote Virgin Soul to regular discussion status in its stead. Doubt it'll ever happen, but a girl can dream Wink
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I think I like Nick & Micchy banter better than Zac & Jacob banter. Or maybe it's the stupid-yet-strategically-placed gifs.
genkisakurachan

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:17 pm Reply with quote
One more vote for "execrable" from me. If I wanted to read someone's Line conversations peppered with severely irritating Tumblr slang, I could get it somewhere else. Like Tumblr.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:28 pm Reply with quote
genkisakurachan wrote:
If I wanted to read someone's Line conversations peppered with severely irritating Tumblr slang, I could get it somewhere else. Like Tumblr.

I don't really understand what part of the conversation is supposed to be "Tumblr slang". To me, it just looks like the way I imagine people in their twenties talk to each other via social media... except in my imagination they use the word "swol" a lot more.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
^I would agree that it is more general social media talk, though I admit to unfamiliarity with the goings-on of Tumblr and its unique jargon. Though I will say that the particular source does not change how inane I often find it, despite being one of those twenty somethings.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Listening to comments, and agreeing with comments are two different things.

Everyone already knows that anime fans are extremely hard to please. Most things in the comments can be readily disregarded, especially if the numbers or clicks is significantly higher than the negative comments.

I for one like this column, and hope you naysayers continue to 'hate' read this column. More clicks, means longer life.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I should catch that big cat anime.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Yea, haters gonna hate. I think this feature is great. More commentary published on the site is better than less. I think the format is perfectly fine. It gives us a different way of consuming and sparking discussion on various series. Also, it is easier to digest when you are out and about (or at work) than videos.

Thanks for the continued effort!

P.S., I TOTALLY agree with the commentary on Virgin Soul. I actually did the same thing that Micchy did, and literally just this week marathoned all of the episodes. At first I wasn't sure if I was going to like Nina's character design, but after I started watching she grew on me big time. Now I'm pretty much hooked on the show. She's a great protagonist, and the "good" guys and bad guys are all so intriguing and have a nice amount of complexity to them. I think it is in the running for #1 show for me this season, even with AoT in the mix.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
^I actually agree on that last point. Bahamut is one of my top shows this season, only after AoT maybe, but damn is it close. I've been watching since the beginning, but I certainly wouldn't turn away any more love for the show.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

I for one like this column, and hope you naysayers continue to 'hate' read this column. More clicks, means longer life.

Over the years I have always found it funny in a sad sort of way how often some users shout and complain about a particular reviewer, column, show, etc and yet every time there's a new article or thread related to that topic there they are. Those same people time after time. I find it funny that people would waste their time over something they don't like just so they could complain instead of simply ignoring it and doing/watching something they do enjoy. I guess some people just value their time differently. Meh.

I find I am enjoying the banter and "text" chain as it adds a nice switch from a traditional column. I do admit I think the episodes of ANNCast with Justin adds a bit more to that column.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2