• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki's 'Final' Film Begins 3-Year Production in October

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote
Gosh, this guy's like the Stan Lee of cinematic anime. Just when you think he's finished with the medium, he's got some new development.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:49 am Reply with quote
I'm more wondering if he'll part from his usual themes. What' so important he needs to come back? I'm gonna guess old people vaguely referencing the past and what to not do int he future. Slightly modern-political and disdainful of others that are ambitious.

I'd really prefer to see a animation-heavy work. The best part of Wind Rises was his depiction of the 1923 Earthquake.
Widdershins

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:39 am Reply with quote
It's likely Boro the Caterpillar, which is something Miyazaki started as a short for the Ghibli museum but then couldn't help himself and ended up requesting more resources (and even the use of CGI, which inspired him to upscale) to expand it to a feature film. There's an NHK Documentary called Never-Ending Man: Hayao Miyazaki that sort of follows him as he begins work on it. I'm more surprised that the deadline got pushed back by Suzuki, which might mean he'll end up using less/throwing away the CGI or decided to scale up his vision.

I think finishing up with The Wind Rises, which while a magnificent would-be swan song about how seductive creation is as well as a great foil for the man himself and all his work, probably left a bad taste in his mouth given that it wasn't ultimately for children (in the documentary Kingdom of Madness and Dreams, he calls Porco Rosso a "foolish film" because it was geared towards adults). His new film will probably be a Ponyo-esque look at a world full of both wonderful and terrifying things through a caterpillar's eyes.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:57 am Reply with quote
@BodaciousSpacePirate Stan Lee has been a "personalty" for the last 2 decades, not a creator. He is literally payed to have his name attached to things, as the upcoming anime thingy.
His last proper comic credits were in the 90s too, with the 2007 one-shot Last Fantastic Four Story being the exceptions. He even mostly stopped writing in the late 70s and then set out on a doomed endeavor to get Marvel films big in Hollywood and on screen. Other people obviously succeeded later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wohdin

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Hayao Mizayaki Doesn't Have To Make Ghibli Films Anymore
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
Hayao Mizayaki Doesn't Have To Make Ghibli Films Anymore

My suggestion is that he should make a Studio Trigger film rather than a Ghibli one. What is the worst that could happen?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I imagine Miyazaki's retirement being much like Mr. Krabs' in that one SpongeBob episode, where he gets everything he thought he ever wanted from retirement done by noon and goes back to work.

"Wait a minute...I hate golf!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2