Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Licenses Devilman, Devilman Vs. Hades Manga


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Thorfinn



Joined: 14 Dec 2016
Posts: 263
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Now this is something I approve of, finally something I actually really like, good pickup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lynx Amali



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Posts: 1058
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Hell yeah; I'm excited for this, especially if they do hardcover releases.

Quote:
Seven Seas has also licensed Go Nagai and Rui Takatō's Devilman G manga. The company will release the manga in single volumes beginning on October 17, 2017. Seven Seas Editor-in-Chief Adam Arnold stated that the manga is a "perfect entry point" into the Devilman franchise.


Still disagree with G being a good entry point because a lot of it is vastly different from the rest of the series. spoiler[ Ryo Asuka, for instance, isn't present at all despite being a major player in the rest of the series' entries.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NJ_



Joined: 31 Oct 2009
Posts: 1560
Location: Wallington, NJ
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
Now this is something I approve of, finally something I actually really like, good pickup.


This!

It's clearly meant to cash in on Devilman Crybaby and that's okay because I'm sure many wanted the original manga in English for years and I'll be looking forward to buying both myself.

So that's 3 Devilman titles & one Cutie Honey spinoff, I wonder what the next surprise is if they get more...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rukiia



Joined: 30 Aug 2010
Posts: 1887
Location: British Columbia, Canada
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Devilman is my most favorite horror series. I'd never thought that I would see the day when the manga gets licensed. Tis a glorious year for Anime and vintage Manga!

Slightly off topic but I wonder what ever happened to Udon releasing Rose of Versailles. It has been only two years since they acquired it and the release time frame keeps getting pushed back. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kicksville



Joined: 20 Nov 2010
Posts: 273
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
It's clearly meant to cash in on Devilman Crybaby and that's okay because I'm sure many wanted the original manga in English for years and I'll be looking forward to buying both myself.

I remember reading that Vertical wanted it but couldn't get it, a couple years ago.

I was wondering if it was just a matter of time, and the Devilman G announcement seemed like it could've been a precursor...I wasn't expecting to see something before that was even out, though. Good news either way, of course.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mosaic



Joined: 26 Feb 2005
Posts: 41
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news! Not really a fan of omnibus releases, but I'll live. I hope they're using the original edition, and not the later versions with unnecessary edits and Shin Devilman added in.

Kicksville wrote:
I remember reading that Vertical wanted it but couldn't get it, a couple years ago.


IIRC Dynamic Pro wouldn't give Vertical the rights for Devilman without Maou Dante. So, they passed on it.

I thought the latest story Seven Seas was telling fans was both the original Devilman, and Cutie Honey manga weren't available for license. I guess that they must've worked something out with Dynamic Pro. Hopefully this means Cutie Honey 70's, and 90's isn't too far behind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
classicalzawa
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 6185
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh ARCEUS yes! I love older series, 70s and 80s classics, I don't know why most publishers treat them like they don't exist when it's my favorite thing in the world. Trust me, I do own every Tezuka manga that's been published in English (in at least one form, so I have the Vertical Princess Knight, but not the Kodansha bilingual) and have done the Kickstarters for more hopefully soon. I also bought Queen Emeraldas, so yes, I want older stuff! I like new stuff too, but please, throw us a bone, get some classics at least!

And they're doing nice hardcovers and everything for it! I only like Seven Seas even more now! I'm not big on their monster girl thing, but hey, if it helps fund this, I'm good.

And I will buy Rose of Versailles, IF it ever comes out! I saw they put something on Twitter saying they're for reals working on RoV (and Sugar Sugar Rune), but RoV is what I want to buy, I don't care about Street Fighter!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
1dbad



Joined: 12 Jul 2015
Posts: 203
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news. I've been wanting to check out more older titles, and as a fan of horror, this sounds right up my alley.

Hope they're able to get some more Go Nagai titles, like the original Cutie Honey.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
OniTasku



Joined: 07 Jun 2011
Posts: 74
Location: Portland, Oregon
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Slightly off topic but I wonder what ever happened to Udon releasing Rose of Versailles. It has been only two years since they acquired it and the release time frame keeps getting pushed back. Sad


classicalzawa wrote:
And I will buy Rose of Versailles, IF it ever comes out! I saw they put something on Twitter saying they're for reals working on RoV (and Sugar Sugar Rune), but RoV is what I want to buy, I don't care about Street Fighter!


There was a brief update from UDON Entertainment just last week, actually. It's not dead, thankfully.

And another round of congratulations to the Seven Seas team for a stellar pick-up. I know this means a lot for them, and I'm certainly ecstatic about picking this up (especially in a large trim-size & hardcover!). Keep on sailing those high seas, 7S!


Last edited by OniTasku on Fri May 19, 2017 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lizzie_B



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 204
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Just in time for the Devilman Crybaby anime to come out
spoiler[Now they just need to license Amon: The Darkside of the Devilman]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BodaciousSpacePirate
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Posts: 1228
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Excellent, I was this close to shelling out for the bilingual Kodansha volumes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
NateSelwyn25



Joined: 20 Nov 2014
Posts: 109
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:26 am Reply with quote
So freaking awesome! Can't believe this is being released, finally, in English. I have two concerns though:
1. Will it be censored? I've read fan-translations and this stuff is pretty...adult.
2. What are the odds physical bookstores will carry this? Again, because of it's rather adult content, I don't see Barnes & Noble having this on the shelf. I'm fortunate to live in Seattle, where we have a Japanese bookstore with an extensive English manga collection. If they are willing to sell BL manga openly(With cellophane wrappings to seal it), I don't think they will have an issue with this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hawkmonger



Joined: 30 May 2014
Posts: 420
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:30 am Reply with quote
Well yes indeedy, this is something i'll buy without reservation!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asukas



Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 11
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:09 am Reply with quote
NateSelwyn25 wrote:

2. What are the odds physical bookstores will carry this? Again, because of it's rather adult content, I don't see Barnes & Noble having this on the shelf. I'm fortunate to live in Seattle, where we have a Japanese bookstore with an extensive English manga collection. If they are willing to sell BL manga openly(With cellophane wrappings to seal it), I don't think they will have an issue with this.


I work at BN and I'd say we'll almost certainly carry it, probably just shrink-wrapped. We carry some manga with some pretty intense content (graphic sex, graphic gore, lots of much worse things that don't need to be detailed here, etc) and we'll be carrying My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness even though there's an uncensored boob on the cover, haha. Even if the store is smaller and doesn't have it in stock, it'll probably be available to special order at the very least!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spawn29



Joined: 14 Jan 2008
Posts: 202
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news. I love the manga and it is my #1 favorite manga of all time.


NateSelwyn25 wrote:
So freaking awesome! Can't believe this is being released, finally, in English. I have two concerns though:
1. Will it be censored? I've read fan-translations and this stuff is pretty...adult.
2. What are the odds physical bookstores will carry this? Again, because of it's rather adult content, I don't see Barnes & Noble having this on the shelf. I'm fortunate to live in Seattle, where we have a Japanese bookstore with an extensive English manga collection. If they are willing to sell BL manga openly(With cellophane wrappings to seal it), I don't think they will have an issue with this.


I can't imagine it would be censored. Book stores like B&N and Books A Million sell books with extreme blood and gore like Spawn, Watchmen, The Punisher, Berserk, Hellsing, and other titles. Devilman is not much different from them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group