• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: High School Fleet OVA's Promo Video Previews 2nd Part

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, Haifuri failed to live up to it's description. It ended up being a weird mash-up of an SF tale basically unrelated to the premise and a SOL/CGDCT semi-comedy. Of the two girls mentioned, only one appears in more than three episodes.

Which is a shame, because it could have been so much more.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Really liked the first 3 or so episodes of this show with the Harekaze having to out-maneuver their opponents and come up with some impromptu battle strategy (like against the submarine). Unfortunately after that the show just sort of putters around not doing much of anything until the final few episodes.
wastrel

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I was actually glad when it quickly became obvious that this was not going to be another "childhood friends battle side by side" show -- because... well, I won't spoil it.

As mentioned, the action and the character building seemed to be shoved into separate episodes, yes. But both were actually done so well, in my opinion, that I liked both parts, in spite of the unevenness of the events. The only drawback is that there were so many characters on the main ship that there wasn't much time to flesh out any but a few of the characters, mostly on the bridge (as per usual in ship stories).

I'm hoping that when Aniplex offers up the show in disc form, that the OVA is included. The first part of the OVA was quite enjoyable, and I hope the second part does as well.

"second season, second season, second season" he chanted quietly under his breath, hoping against hope
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1