• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vatican Miracle Examiner Anime Casts Sōma Saitō, Masashi Ebara

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animepokegirl89

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Soma Saito? Hype! I was already hyped because of Nobuhiko Okamoto and Junichi Suwabe. So this is a definite watch for Summer 2017.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Now THAT'S a key visual
After weeks and weeks seeing nothing but generic moe-tastic character desings in every single anime announced it's refreshing to see some cool, gritty, realistic faces.
I know nothing of the original source but with that visual alone I'm totally sold...can't wait to watch the hell out of this Very Happy
FrozenMoon

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm very much looking forward to how this series turns out, the visuals are looking great.

donhumberto wrote:
Now THAT'S a key visual
After weeks and weeks seeing nothing but generic moe-tastic character desings in every single anime announced it's refreshing to see some cool, gritty, realistic faces.
I know nothing of the original source but with that visual alone I'm totally sold...can't wait to watch the hell out of this Very Happy

The definition of moe has basically at this point become "any art style I dislike is automatically moe and there for is terrible". Even putting the debate aside of what moe actually is, this art style isn't exactly photo realistic and is pretty standard for this kind of series. The words you're looking for gritty and edgy bishounen men series, which if you like is perfectly fine and I usually watch and enjoy said series as well. But you're literally just thinking of series like Attack On Titan, Joker Game, 91 Days, and so fourth. Again it's another industry standard and not revolutionary, in it's own way it can even be called generic by some, so I see no need to act like it's so much cooler and better than moe, it's different, that's all.

Edit: If you're talking about Summer anime announcements, Ballroom e Youkoso, Shoukoku no Altair, Saiyuki Reload Blast, are some easy examples of new series that aren't "moe", but there's really a lot of examples if one wanted to compile a list and debate for hours on exactly what moe is. For example I don't think Hell Girl counts as moe at all, yes there's a cute girl on the poster but that series is a lot darker and way more grim than pretty much anything this anime can produce.

Also they just announced visuals and casting for Inuyashiki in the fall, which the manga art for Inuyashiki is WAY more realistic than this, by a really large margin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1