• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
In Another World With My Smartphone (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale, I think)

Has an anime ever been this brazen in creating a harem ending, yet also at the same doing a not quite romance built ending from a lack of commitment? I was actually kind of on board that he seemed to actually accept things with the princess, that in terms of the show, she had kind of built the role.to be his partner, and then just had to force the harem. To be fair, his character in the episode was largely around how he did not think he could actually meet such a responsibility. There really was not much else in the episode, except that they seemed to bring up a lot of plot points to be unresolved with it ending here, things that I noticed were pretty on display in the OP. Like the one guy who appears in the OP and was maybe in the last 30 seconds.

To talk about the series as a whole. This series is junk food, you know it is bad, it really not refined, and is super messy, but somehow I kept watching. And it was not a torturous; "why can't I look away", but I actually get enjoyment out of this. I can't even say it is ironic enjoyment, I am interested to watch it mostly the way it presents itself, it is like messed up in of itself. But an again repeat that it is not good, I could probably go into great detail about horrible the character writing is, how it and the scenarios could be improved with better realised ideas that could get you to feel more invested. That most of what it does stand on is I would say some pretty shallow idea of how the author clearly wants to play out his power fantasies, and I think they even removed the sort of things they did not care about to make something they liked.

It is fanservice. The general idea is that fanservice is sexy girls, but really that is only one type of fanservice, and I would say that this show is filled with a different kind, like a distilled recipe. And there are good and bad things to that, maybe even makes it strangely difficult to even say what a good series even is. Not sure where to put a maybe segue, but something I think certainly was not right was a little bit of show the duke's daughter as a member of the to be wife gang. The princess pushes it a little at being a young age, but I think the rest of the show managed to use this fantasy setting to show her as more than her age, but her cousin not so. Actually. I am going to put in a little complaint that character wise the princess probably came out the best as being assertive and in control, but she might have actually had the least to do combat wise.

I suppose I should give a rating for this series. I will say Not really good (4/10), because it really is not good, yet somehow manages to not feel like a waste of time.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:16 pm Reply with quote
The second season has just started and it is indeed more of the same with a bit of awkward fanservice added. As seen in the opening and ending this season is complete the harem collection time.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:22 am Reply with quote
And that was the second episode. Better than the first one and with no awkward/unnecessary fan service. That said, the pacing sure was killer. It seems like they indeed want to have this season contain all 9 fiancees and thus will need to rush through a lot.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, it seems here is the only place I can join like-minded commentators in appreciating this show this season. Ep1-3 was a good continuation and now we have the revised dub cast with a new Touya but seems the change isn't too bad (sounds quite similar). Was happy that the much of the rest of the English cast has returned even if they weren't mentioned in the article and especially for Ms. Karbowski and Ms. Rial. Just love thier voices. Thus, the show seems much as it was when last seen and enjoyed. Smile

One downer I didn't catch until the dub in Ep1 where Yumina is told by her mom that marrying a man (Touya) was the most important thing she will do in her life. Woof...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:44 pm Reply with quote
It is nice to see somebody else post here too. I will be the first to say that the show has many issues, but it is still a fun watch despite that. The newest episode is the perfect proof of that. The basic plot is fine and a revolution makes for some solid action, but they want to reach all 9 fiances by the end of the season, so the pacing is way too fast.

And to clarify: with too fast I mean a truly ridiculous pace. Fighting the big baddy and his army consists of a lot of still pictures and the main event barely takes a minute.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, thank you for the reception! Having just watched Ep4 I agree with the sentiment, way too much way too fast after spending Ep3 stocking a fujoshi LN cafe'. I am worrying a little that the author is afraid that the wives and Search for Babylon aren't enough to hold interest and in the process is throwing international political intrigue in as well. As it is, I could care less about Touya having defeated the baddie and rescuing the royal family as there was no background or lead-up and happens too fast. And add love at first sight with eventual wife #5 for no discernable reason too. Hoping this slows down...
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Think I’m with a lot of folks who are still watching this. Just plowed into the second season and can’t really say why I am sorta enjoying it. Touyo does nothing to achieve anything. The women just fall into his lap because…um…just because. I do enjoy the exchanges with God even though it’s nonsensical. I’m hoping they let Francesca evolve. At least she’s funny.

This show phones it in (literally and figuratively) and I kinda hope they wrap it up at the end of the season because it’s such weak isekai it’s not even trying so far. But it’s pretty inoffensive too. Maybe that’s its strength. It’s so bland most people can’t hate it so just let it play in the background? I’m obviously not an anime purist so I’m sure there are lots of reasons for those in the know to hate it. But it doesn’t have a screeching whining MC and everyone isn’t being raped and so far he’s kept it all fairly age appropriate if he’s 15. So I can give it a C and won’t watch it a second time but I should be able to finish the second season. 5/10 maybe 6/10 for me so far.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:11 am Reply with quote
The strange thing is, I have read most of the novels that the anime is based on and they are addicting to read. Reading how he slowly builds up certain things and solves problems and connects people is a lot of fun. A lot of that does not really come across in the anime so far, resulting in a series that does not really stand out be it for good or bad. That said, it does not bore me and that is my bottom line when it comes to dropping a show or not.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Good lord, I complained about episode 4 being rushed, but episode 5 manages to make the previous one feel slow in comparison. The overall episode is better than last week, though they sure skipped a lot of content from the novels and what was there was crammed together with other events to get as far in the story as possible.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Ep6- Along with the last Ep I am thoroughly convinced the writer not only writes with pre-adolescent guys in mind but seems to have the knowledge of society and world affairs to go along with that demographic. Not exactly a power fantasy but more a projection. How else to explain that a group of Kings supposedly responsible for kingdoms potentially at odds "just want to have fun" like a bunch of "bros"? Build a nice big decked out rec room and they will come and be friends...Or the current episode where Touya just drops in on a woman's parents to announce she will be his bride and the reaction is a hearty "oh, ok...". Or two groups that drop in on the new Kingdom of Brunhild effectively saying "hey, we heard you have a kingdom, mind if we join too? And again, to a hearty "oh, yeah, I guess...". Confused
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Just finished EP4 and tossing in my agreement. This show isn’t even trying at this point. Rushed through what many series would take even an entire season to tackle in less than 20 minutes. MC might as well just snap his fingers at this point. Oh look another random harem addition. Why? Not like he’s even keeping track of all the other ones at this point. In saying the first season was better I’m not saying much…but it was.?. I honestly don’t know why I’m watching at this point except I wait for the dub each week so it’s only like 17 minutes wasted at a time.

Still it is starting to stink up the place (and I think I’m pretty forgiving with Isekai)
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 4:01 am Reply with quote
Another episode, another week of rushing through the source material at a crazy pace. Things come pretty easy for Touya in the novels, but he does have to put in the work and struggle a bit at times. This season however cuts out all of that struggle in order to speed things up, so you only see the end result. This makes the whole thing feel cheap and honestly, the reason that the novels are fun to read is the proces, not the end result. I like reading the series for the many small details and events that take place, while those are complete cut out of this season.
Kamijou Touma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:34 pm Reply with quote
As a book reader I am appalled how this season is going. They are just skipping all the important stuff. They just jump to harem stuff. It is a great story but the anime is doing it no justice at all.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it is pretty clear were the most attention has gone. I also wonder how the last episode will go since so many things are unfinished as of now. Unless they announce a third season....surely not though?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, in my last post I said that we know where most of the attention has gone and the final episode was just like that with plenty of harem situations. There was also finding two more Babylon islands, but most of the entire episode was dedicated to the harem. No progress on things like building more of the frame gears or progress with the phrase.

In the end the second season is significantly worse than the okay first season and source material wise it was a rushed mess. I hope this was the end, I don't even want to entertain the thought of a third season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3