• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Will China or Korea Ever Compete With Anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
I remember seeing a trailer for this really badass looking Chinese animated film. It looked like an anime though there were a few subtle differences in the animation and character designs. I honestly can't remember the name of it, partially because every time someone posted the trailer, they had no idea what the name was either, they just found it somewhere.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
My answer is simple: not at their current level. Even their most known an likes Chinese cartoon, The Kings Avatar is just mediocre to me.
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
For those who want to know what is the technical part of a Chinese and South Korean animation, I recommend that you take a look at this movie: Da Yu Hai Tang.

Worth it.

[img] http://read.html5.qq.com/image?src=forum&q=5&r=0&imgflag=7&imageUrl=http://mmbiz.qpic.cn/mmbiz/6f34hHJ1ziauCib1XicicX1HJb5CwKqcib3W5xtLPBH2SUs29HVWibmLE8hKhIb5ZqaOegvxwibQSukdOvwjV8rCvFSrw/0?wx_fmt=jpeg[/img]

Nyren wrote:
I remember seeing a trailer for this really badass looking Chinese animated film. It looked like an anime though there were a few subtle differences in the animation and character designs. I honestly can't remember the name of it, partially because every time someone posted the trailer, they had no idea what the name was either, they just found it somewhere.

Big Fish & Begonia

[EDIT: Please do not double-post ~Zalis]
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
PFdaCIA wrote:
Nyren wrote:

Big Fish & Begonia
Actually, I just managed to find a youtube video of the trailer and someone said the name is Fortune Boy or Kuiyu Chouyuan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuoxHdZgF2M
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I can see China become a big production hub of cartoons but probably only for the domestic market (but that market is so big that would dwarf any other) and a few others.

They will try copy the "anime style" and make modifications for their market but I can see they go for the CG animation than the Cel animation that dominate Japanese anime.

But it will be difficult if not impossible to compete with anime.
Anime go across all genres and story styles and don't have to worry with the leaders of the country hold them back and put their noses and censorship on everything they do.

Chinese cartoons are limited to few genres approved by the leaders and that will not help compete with Japanese anime.
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Actually, I just managed to find a youtube video of the trailer and someone said the name is Fortune Boy or Kuiyu Chouyuan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuoxHdZgF2M

Ah!

I've seen this clip. It seems that the government there does not let it go. I entered the Chinese site and found hundreds of scenes from this anime. Much better scenes than that. It looks really good. Sorry to confuse you, I thought I was talking about the movie I mentioned, so I quoted it. Lol

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I think Anime is just a starting point, like how American animation had an influence on early Anime design and then they've made it their thing since then. China and Korea will do the same over time.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I think the article undermindes the role of Chinese-produced anime a bit. There are a few titles that are local hits, though not well-known outside of China. Most anime fans don't even hear of them until they get aired in Japan. There is a severe lack of information in the West (and probably in Japan, too) about what the Chinese animation industry is actually doing.

Ever heard of Fox Spirit Matchmaker? Yup, that's the new show that starts airing in Japan in July with 24 episodes planned. Except it's now new, it's a recut (presumably) of a Chinese show called Hu Yao Xiao Hong Niang ( 狐妖小红娘) with 57 episodes so far (~10 minutes per episode). Same goes for Spiritpact which was also a recut (20 half-length episodes made into 10 full episodes for the Japanese TV airing).

There are many Chinese-Japanese co-productions right now. Usually at least 1-2 per season. Look up the name Emon or Haoliners Animation League. They have some domestic productions (including the two titles mentioned above) and some co-productions.

Most of the works are based on wildly popular Chinese web novels or web comics. I admit, none of these works are particularly interesting yet. To Be Hero has some fans, but much of their stuff feels like mediocre fantasy fare from the early 00s. But the Chinese animation industry is evolving at a rapid pace and it'll probably continue to see tremendous domestic and international growth.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least 10-15% of all anime-styled shows are Chinese productions (or co-productions) in a few years.

I attribute the lack of knowledge about the Chinese anime market to the fact that very few anime fans speak Japanese (except for the Chinese fans who rarely frequent English communities). I, too, am reliant on the rare English reports about what's currently going on and hot in China. It would be very cool to see more coverage of the Chinese anime market on ANN or other respected news websites.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
Usually at least 1-2 per season.

We know there are. But they are bad. REALLY bad. Bloodivores, Spirit Pact,the new one this season... they are TERRIBLE. Cheating Craft was decent because it didn't try to have as story. These Chinese made anime are TERRIBLE at pacing and story telling.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching "Yongary, Monster from the Deep", Korea's attempt at Godzilla-kaiju (just recently showed up as an episode of Netflix's MST3K), and Amazon Prime had dug up a restored copy of "The Super Infra-Man", the Shaw Brothers' baldfaced attempt at a Hong Kong version of Ultraman.
And each time, my reaction was...."China and South Korea just DO NOT GET what the Japanese mentality instinctively gets." And it's possible to move this rationalization from faux-Tsubaraya monsters to anime as well.

Before the war, China, Korea and Japan were all insular nations with their own individual cultural evolutions: China had a large country of fighting warlords and Mongols, Japan was a small country fighting between its own daimyo. China had an imperial history up until the 30's, Japan was forced open by the West and adopted new trends; China adopted a strict mind-your-own-business Communism and emphasized the People's culture, and Japan wanted the world's trade and money.
And only South Korea knows what the heck it was doing all that time.

You can't look at the all-out mentality of manga action or comedy, from a country that obsesses over things easily and then kids themselves about it--or wants to make cool poses rebelling against it--and expect that anyone else is going to just be able to play the same notes.

Justin wrote:
And that's the problem, really: since the Chinese government controls what films get made and distributed, there's really very little in terms of challenging filmmaking going on over there, animated or otherwise.

That's one of the problems with the movie industry at the moment, and WHY China's average theatergoers are so frustratingly in love with Hollywood-imported CGI Orcs, Transformers, old Pirates, and Mummy-babes. (And causing us to wish we could slap an entire country of audiences on the side of the head and tell them to stop giving "Worldwide box-office!" money to crap. Razz )
The State's film industry forbids any criticism of politics, any defense of religion, any excessive validation that supernatural forces still exist in our modern cities (the reason China banned the Ghostbusters and Suicide Squad, but the reason Japan loves the Ring franchise), decadent sex, or any specific promotion of the West's good life.
That doesn't leave much to make movies out of, and audiences have gotten a little vocally frustrated that the industry has pretty much retreated into period history, historical action-fantasy, fantasy-epic in no actual real-world kingdom, cute romantic comedy, or traditional folk stories.
Even worse, when China tries to reach out to other countries for lucrative co-productions, that's what they're naturally convinced other countries want to SEE: Just think back on that "Great Wall" movie with Matt Damon, if you can't remember that Jet Li/Chow Yun-Fat movie from the 00's that tried to teach a goofy American teenager about the Monkey King.

Animation quality aside, let China make anime, and they don't quite go for the same genres as the otaku subculture "expects" from Japanese studios. We'd get Romance of the Three Kingdoms, but I doubt we'd have gotten Kemono Friends or Monster Musume Girls.
ice_tea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Blackiris_ wrote:

We know there are. But they are bad. REALLY bad. Bloodivores, Spirit Pact,the new one this season... they are TERRIBLE. Cheating Craft was decent because it didn't try to have as story. These Chinese made anime are TERRIBLE at pacing and story telling.

It's true. The Chinese-produced/co-produced "anime" shows every season are terrible. But the important thing is that they attract domestic fans in China. BTW, Chinese web novels are terrible too. Most of those animation shows are based on web novels. Things as terrible as those still have a lot of fans. China is a strange market. The producers don't need to care what people outside China think of their animation shows. The domestic has provided them a nice market.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm just surprised why South Korea hasn't successfully entered this market. They have animators and devoted webtoons fans worldwide, it would seem like the audience is there.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Noblesse was an unusual case where it began (and continues) as a Korean comic on Webtoons, got a Korean-made sorta-prequel movie by Studio Animal, and also got an OVA production that looked like it would be a series from Production I.G. I think it's pretty rare for a single, relatively unknown property to be licensed for adaptation in two countries only a year apart, if that long.

Both animated efforts looked pretty good, but it apparently never went anywhere, which is too bad. It's a fairly original story, though over the last couple years the comic has gotten stuck in a rut of endless battles heavy on the Batman-esque Boom! and Whoosh! fx. It's making DBZ's battles look like models of economic storytelling. But the story, when it can manage to crawl forward a few inches, is still interesting. Maybe if it ever ends, animators can cut out all the fat and make a great series of it.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
ice_tea wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Blackiris_ wrote:

It's true. The Chinese-produced/co-produced "anime" shows every season are terrible. But the important thing is that they attract domestic fans in China. BTW, Chinese web novels are terrible too. Most of those animation shows are based on web novels. Things as terrible as those still have a lot of fans. China is a strange market. The producers don't need to care what people outside China think of their animation shows. The domestic has provided them a nice market.

Couldn't you say the same things about Japan? How many terrible anime a produced every season? How many terrible Web Novels, Light Novels and manga are there? If you pick two random show from the currently airing anime, there's a pretty high chance the titles you get aren't exactly high-quality titles.

It is probably true that the taste of the average Chinese fan is different from the taste of the average American anime fan. And the average European or Japanese anime fan has yet a different taste. I personally consider most of the Japanese "hyped" shows rather mediocre and think the true quality titles are often only appreciated by a comparatively small (but often vocal) group, so I personally can't say I think the average Japanese anime fan has a "good taste".

The anime output in China is getting more diverse. For example, many people consider To Be Hero a good show (if you have an affinity for that kind of comedy), and you would usually think an absurd comedy show like To Be Hero is something only Japanese people make. And I think Fox Spirit Matchmaker might actually be a cute and decent show.

Don't get me wrong, I very much agree that the majority of the current Chinese anime output is both lacking creativity, originality and technical finesse. But look at it this way: The industry is still very young. China has only started actively taking part in TV anime production (or rather web anime in China) two or three years ago. I think we need to wait at least another two or three years to properly judge the potential of Chinese anime productions. I'm especially curious whether they manage to establish their own kind of identity, or if Chinese productions are forever doomed to appear as uninspired (or sometimes maybe aspired) attempts to do what the Japanese do.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
After seeing the first episode, I will agree with Justin that The King's Avatar is worth keeping an eye on. The camera work and CG need work (most poorly integrated CG in anime compares favorably), but it wasn't all bad animation wise. I'll have to see more to really evaluate the story, but at the very least making me want to see more is more than I can say for any other Chinese production, so kudos.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4