• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of June 10-16 [2017-06-22]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I am glad to see that other fans are rewarding Saekano Flat's last few good episodes by putting it in the cumulative top 10. I did not expect Saekano Flat to be this good because the first season was entertaining but too inconsistent for my taste.

And it looks like I might have to eventually watch Alice & Zoroku; if it is in the cumulative top 15 in this strong season, it has to be doing something right. Any thoughts from those watching it? Thanks in advance.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I think the director's previous work, Flying Witch, was better but they did do a good job with the show. The second half has been great and if the first half had been more like the second, it may have ranked higher.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
This list is doing a fair job of more or less representing my own rankings. Some minor changes, but pretty happy with how things are solidifying for the season.

angelmcazares wrote:

And it looks like I might have to eventually watch Alice & Zoroku; if it is in the cumulative top 15 in this strong season, it has to be doing something right. Any thoughts from those watching it? Thanks in advance.

Really digging it. I was just talking to friends about it yesterday, because they are both kind of conflicted on it. lol So I guess your mileage will vary, as usual.
It's not a great production animation-wise and the plot-details and overall writing can get wonky at times, but the characters are incredibly charming and endearing, the character designs are very cute, there is a very strong face-game(e.g. expressions), and the slice of life aspect of the show is consistently solid, and even has some interesting thematic stuff.
The show has mostly decided to focus on Alice and her relationships, which are generally really fun and have lots of chemistry, so I'm liking it for that.

Last edited by relyat08 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

So far, it's my tentative "show of the year". If you like the premise of shows like Elfen Lied and Brynhildr in the Darkness (i.e. "cute girls with powers escape from a research facility" shows), but haven't ever found those shows to be watchable for a variety of reasons, such as gore or over-the-top harem shenanigans, then I'd definitely recommend trying it out.

Just be aware that the first episode (and ONLY the first episode) has a noticeably shoddy CG car chase sequence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1