• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo Schedule Lists Screening Trailer at 'FLCL 2 & 3 Panel' on July 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:04 am Reply with quote
I have never been as legitimately nervous for a trailer in my entire life.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:29 am Reply with quote
i hope, and am expecting, them to keep thr same art style.
SENPAI--

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
It better not be panel exclusive.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I have to question... does Gainax still have what it takes to make FLCL great?
I see Sadamoto is back on Character Designs... good sign.

I see Gainax as a dying studio and this like a last gasp.
Punpun's ghost

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I was hopeful about this. Now The Pillows are on board I'm officially excited! Now all it needs is for the planets to realign to ensure the story and animation are at their demented best... But... Saturn would have to gloop into two wobbly spheres of juggly nuttiness before Kari Wahgren decided to join any potential dub, I reckon. Kinda preferred her Haruko to the original. Which I'm fully prepared to apologise for!
SpookyDollhouse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
I have to question... does Gainax still have what it takes to make FLCL great?
I see Sadamoto is back on Character Designs... good sign.

I see Gainax as a dying studio and this like a last gasp.

Gainax sold the rights to Production I.G. who is handling this one. It remains to be seen if they've gotten any of the animation staff from Gainax who've since moved on (namely Imaishi and his crew at Trigger) but I'm super hoping they're able to do it justice.
Valjean

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
You know what terrifies me about this project? It's not that the animation could potentially be awful, or that the Pillows might not have another catchy soundtrack in them. No, it's something they revealed early on, back when the show was first announced:

Quote:
Enter Hidomi

Hidomi is not a Japanese name. Hitomi is. Hidomi sounds like the kind of name some neckbeard in Atlanta who thinks that being the program director of Toonami makes him a qualified expert on Japanese culture would come up with because it "sounds Japanese". I cringe every time I read that synopsis, and I hope above all else that the character's name has changed or it's turned out to be another typo. I don't want a FLCL that feels American.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Valjean wrote:
You know what terrifies me about this project? It's not that the animation could potentially be awful, or that the Pillows might not have another catchy soundtrack in them. No, it's something they revealed early on, back when the show was first announced:

Quote:
Enter Hidomi

Hidomi is not a Japanese name. Hitomi is. Hidomi sounds like the kind of name some neckbeard in Atlanta who thinks that being the program director of Toonami makes him a qualified expert on Japanese culture would come up with because it "sounds Japanese". I cringe every time I read that synopsis, and I hope above all else that the character's name has changed or it's turned out to be another typo. I don't want a FLCL that feels American.

Maybe she's an alien. Or a robot.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Valjean wrote:
I don't want a FLCL that feels American.

Sadly, that's what the new FLCL is. It's "Americanime"... And therefore, nothing good can come of it.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
i hope, and am expecting, them to keep thr same art style.

Well, Sadamoto is back for character designs, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the show looking drastically different.

Punpun's ghost wrote:
... But... Saturn would have to gloop into two wobbly spheres of juggly nuttiness before Kari Wahgren decided to join any potential dub, I reckon. Kinda preferred her Haruko to the original. Which I'm fully prepared to apologise for!

Am I missing something? When the new seasons were first announced she made it pretty clear she would love to voice Haruko again, and the Adult Swim guys also said they wanted to get back the original cast members for potentially returning characters. Her return seems pretty likely.

Valjean wrote:

While they surely do have some degree of input, I would question whether anyone from Adult Swim is actually in a position to make such an important decision as the main characters name, especially one that is apparently highly questionable, without pushback from the actual Japanese people making the show (that is, of course, assuming the JP side of production aren't the ones that came up with the name in the first place, which is a possibility). Obviously, AS could have more creative control than the public is aware, but based on what they've actually said, this is I.G.'s project, and Adult Swim is mostly just along for the ride with pocketbooks open.

Besides, odd names aren't exactly uncommon in anime. There are plenty of shows out there that took fairly common names and just swapped out a letter or two in an effort to make it sound more unique and interesting, for better or worse.

Last edited by doubleO7 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Valjean

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Valjean wrote:
I don't want a FLCL that feels American.

Sadly, that's what the new FLCL is. It's "Americanime"... And therefore, nothing good can come of it.

If they would take a step back and let the original creators do their thing (a la Big O Season 2) there's a chance it could be decent, but not only is it a different creative staff in Japan, I get the impression that Adult Swim is actually co-writing the new episodes... which, as you note, can't be good.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Has ever a less necessary anime sequel existed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Punpun's ghost

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Hadn't heard Kari Wahlgren was eager to return and the rest of the cast was in the works. That's pretty awesome. Thanks for that!
Zimba

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to see the trailer!
russ869

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Has ever a less necessary anime sequel existed?

Heh, most definitely not. But... things like Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Dark Side of Dimensions, Naruto: The Last, and maybe even parts of Dragon Ball Super may have convinced me that just because a sequel is VERY unnecessary doesn't mean it can't be "good."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2