• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Rising of the Shield Hero Fantasy Novels Get Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quote
I've heard about this series a lot so I'm definitely interested in seeing it.

The key staff (director and series composition among others) will be more important than the studio, given how freelance the industry is, and especially considering how some of the studios mentioned aren't known for a house style and whose works vary significantly depending on, yes, the director and lead writer (among others).
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
The director is certainly important, but he can only do a good job if he has a solid team to back him up. I don't care that much about this, I was just pointing out the typical go to studios for generic fantasy light novel adaptations from recent years.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:
Curious what studio will be behind it. Inb4 A1-Pictures, Madhouse or White Fox.
What about J.C. Staff?

J.C. Staff is a big no-no, they're not in the peak form to do the LN adaptations, especially action fantasy - just look at recent Danmachi: Sword Oratoria (and that's the LN bestseller). Slice of life, romcoms - that's the things that they can really do.

Other studios at least can do their job with good staff. Even Deen can do this with their current quality. But please, not the god damned J.C.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
@Thorfinn A lot of that team is freelance too, at least as far as animators go, aside from some studios and individuals. Eromanga sensei was better animated than perhaps anyone wanted, but that wasn't because A-1 had (all of) the team in place already (the director was recruiting animators on twitter only a few months before production). Though when it comes to planning out the series and whatnot, the studio does matter admittedly. My point is to not focus too much on the studio when evaluating whether something will be good or not.

@WANNFH J.C. Staff did the original season of Danmachi, and they did a perfectly fine job of it, to say the least (they had different directors, and other staff, between the first season and the spinoff).

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
Honestly surprised it took this long; I would've expected this announcement months ago, at least before Nobu or Smartphone.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
... sigh, another one of these. Okay.

Is it just me or everyone is being hyped up when an anime adaptation for some LN/VN is announced, only for the majority to just bitch about it after it airs? Those who only watched the anime will say that the anime sucks while the LN readers will just use the "They didn't adapt it well" card as an excuse and will never admit that the writing sucks in the first place.

Not to mention, we won't even get the complete story anyway. It will probably just a 1-cour show which won't end up getting 2nd season (and even if it did, the story will never be complete anyway). For every hits like Re:Zero, there will be 5 or so complete duds like Rokka, C3, Vanadis, etc.

EDIT: When I said duds, I mean these shows bombed in sales irrelevant of the quality of the anime. Which is actually unintuitive. Why make LN adaptations when majority of those flop in sales?

Last edited by Ermat_46 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
UltScorpion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
It's about damn time!

Read a bit of manga and loved it! So glad it's actually getting an adaptation now!
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
wow this is a welcome treat, just purchased vol 8 today.
my only concern is how much they will adapt, it would be great if they could animate the 2 'arcs' although im not sure how long the second one will be since i dont see it ending in this 8th vol but i could be wrong.
DDragonking

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Nice it's about time. I really want either Nobuhiko or Kirito's VA to voice the main
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

Is it just me or everyone is being hyped up when an anime adaptation for some LN/VN is announced, only for the majority to just bitch about it after it airs? Those who only watched the anime will say that the anime sucks while the LN readers will just use the "They didn't adapt it well" card as an excuse and will never admit that the writing sucks in the first place.

This is hardly exclusive to light novel anime adaptions; this applies to every adaptation ever. There are some top quality LN adaptions, and like any other media, there are more mediocre ones. People are allowed to like what they like.

Ermat_46 wrote:
For every hits like Re:Zero, there will be 5 or so complete duds like Rokka, C3, Vanadis, etc.

Dang, throwing some shade at Rokka! I thought that was a pretty good show though?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
J.C. Staff did the original season of Danmachi, and they did a perfectly fine job of it, to say the least (they had different directors, and other staff, between the first season and the spinoff).

No, the first season was perfectly rushed because director really wanted to go with the ending on the fifth volume, doing cuts here and there. But at least he actually tried to make anime series above average - just one copy&paste scene of it in Oratoria beaten the full of bland, uninspiring and full of bad animation quality work of the current staff.

Ermat_46 wrote:
there will be 5 or so complete duds like Rokka, C3, Vanadis, etc.
C'mon, Rokka was actually good and solid adaptation, except one thing that break the deal: anime covered just the first volume and gave no chance to continue the story with it's completely flopped disc sales. But at least it wasn't the same level of "treatment" that White Fox (and director worked on the Re:Zero episodes before this!) done to Zero Kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho, with half of it being the original content.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Finally!!! I pray this is a solid adaptation like youjo senki and not the train wreck that is clockwork planet and the danmachi spinoff this season.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
No, the first season was perfectly rushed because director really wanted to go with the ending on the fifth volume, doing cuts here and there. But at least he actually tried to make anime series above average - just one copy&paste scene of it in Oratoria beaten the full of bland, uninspiring and full of bad animation quality work of the current staff.

If they had another cours to work with, they might have been able to do it slower and more comprehensively, but with only one cours I'm inclined to agree with the director on where they stopped. As an anime only viewer, I'm concerned more with whether the anime is good rather than whether it adapts everything from the source. Given it ranked in the top 10 anime of its year and was in the top 5 of at least one reviewer, I dare say they did a good job.

Hopefully Shield Hero gets such treatment as that or Re:Zero
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Man, I'm rather tired of these transported to another world series, but the art style is rather nice to look at so I may keep an eye on it to see how they adapt it for the anime.

Thorfinn wrote:

Lol, how do you know exactly how busy these studios are, did you call them and asked? This anime could come out next year, I don't see any confirmation for 2017. How do you know that Trigger and P.A Works aren't busy? They could be working on something they haven't announced yet.

Edit: Even if those studios are super busy, that won't necessarily stop them from making another show.

Studios sometimes do release their schedules for future projects (KyoAni did not too long ago). Some may not announce specifically what they're working on, but will sometimes announce whether they're booked for a period of time. Recently a studio announced on twitter they were booked to the end of 2018(?), I believe. Kvin tweeted about it some time ago. So it is possible to gather whether a studio has a lot of projects or not if you know where to look; you don't have to personally come in contact with them.
Thong Tran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Cetais wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:
Curious what studio will be behind it. Inb4 A1-Pictures, Madhouse or White Fox.
What about J.C. Staff?

J.C. Staff is a big no-no, they're not in the peak form to do the LN adaptations, especially action fantasy - just look at recent Danmachi: Sword Oratoria (and that's the LN bestseller). Slice of life, romcoms - that's the things that they can really do.

Other studios at least can do their job with good staff. Even Deen can do this with their current quality. But please, not the god damned J.C.

Yeah I don't believe in J.C staff either, also with A-1 picture. A-1 picture adaptation are crap, they put a huge amount of budget on shitty anime,* cough* Gakusen Toshi Asterisk *cough* Gate *Cough* cough* Sword art online *Cough *'Cough, on top of that they're really terrible when adapt novel like this. J.C staff only good at Manga adaptation, and mostly sport.
Only Madhouse or Shalf can save us in term of novel adaptation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4