• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Rumiko Talkahashi

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I was conflicted about listening to this but considering how much I'm not fond of Zac Bertschy, I decided I'd better give it a miss.

Just Saiyan.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow, 300 episodes! I've been listening since episode 115, though I have gone back and listened to older podcasts before that that interested me. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Tuned in for perhaps the second time ever because Rumiko Takashi reasons. I absolutely adore her work. Urusei Yatsura remains my favorite anime to date and Rinne is my favorite manga.

I want to say though that Rinne is purely a comedy show. It's not alike to Inuyasha at all like they're saying it is. I find it a big shame people dismiss Rinne as much as they do. I get it that not everyone is interested in it or finds it funny, but I would've expected Rumiko fans to give it more of a chance and be more open to it.
I guess that's also the reason why Viz releases a new volume only once every 4 months... *sigh*

Sorry I kinda had to get that off my chest. I'll be honest, no, I didn't like the show. No hard feelings or anything Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I think her work is best viewed in small doses, a couple of episodes every now and again. She quickly runs out of ideas in her work and you start to notice, so having a few episodes stops the repetitiveness sink in.

The only problem with watching not watching the later parts of Ranma is you miss out on Ukyo, who is one of the better characters.
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I have only been able to stand to watch Urusai Yatsura in Japanese with subtitles. Has there ever been a decent English dub for the show or any of the movies? Or are they all uniformly awful?

I usually have little or no interest in shipping, but I have developed some views about guys and gals of Ranma 1/2.
- Nabiki & Kuno. I always suspected that Nabiki has had a marriage contract with Kuno-kun from the time when they were both in the Japanese equivalent of kindergarten, probably witnessed by their teacher and possibly even notarized. She's just waiting for him to get over Akane before she whips it out to enforce it.
- Kasumi & Dr. Tofu is a given.
- Ryoga & Ukyo. I think that's been teased sufficiently in the manga and the series.
- Shampoo & Mousse. Pretty obvious, right? If they don't get together, I would be shocked.

Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:33 pm; edited 5 times in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the coverage of Rinne on this site ended after the first cours of the first season. The first two seasons are on Crunchyroll, but the third started on Anime Network and has moved to the new site HIDIVE. It isn't my favorite Takahashi work but I liked it enough to watch all the seasons (though I didn't see the most recent one until I buckled down and got a Anime Network subscription several weeks into the season). It is definitely more a comedy than a long running shonen. Among her works, I'd say it is more like Ranma 1/2 than Inuyasha in terms of the nature of the plot, though of course it does have more supernatural elements like Inuyasha. I'm not sure there is really an overarching plot per se. Also Sakura (the female lead) isn't bitchy. If anything she is very stoic, perhaps to the point of not quite connecting with her emotions, particularly romantic ones. She does generally act as the straight (wo)man though.

My first introduction to her work was, as with many my age presumably, Inuyasha. Ranma 1/2 is the only other work of hers that I've seen (I finished the whole thing either last year or earlier this year, though I'd seen the bulk of it before then), though I would like to see Maison Ikkoku and Urusei Yatsura if they become available for streaming.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
I was conflicted about listening to this but considering how much I'm not fond of Zac Bertschy, I decided I'd better give it a miss.

If you already knew that you don't enjoy ANNCast (Zac is, after all, in every installment), then what made you consider listening to it this week? The topic?

Quote:
I guess that's also the reason why Viz releases a new volume only once every 4 months... *sigh*

That's actually not too terrible for most manga nowadays, especially comedy and slice of life titles.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
@Otaku-sempai

Dubs of Urusai Yatsura are not so much bad as almost non existent. Of the movies only Beautiful Dreamer was dubbed, I have no idea how good or bad it is. The DVDs of all the TV series and OVAs do not contain a dub. It is rumored that AnimEigo dubbed the first couple of episodes of the TV series for VHS but that reaction was so negative that these dubs are not on the DVDs.
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I have heard some of those existing dubs and they were bad--really bad. It's no wonder that it was a short-lived experiment.

Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I've always liked Mermaid's Scar I attempted to read Inuyasha but only got through the first two omnibus than quit. The rule for the Ranma 1/2 Anime I think should apply to the Manga as well read the first six volumes and if you like it continue so kudos on that rule getting mentioned in the podcast as a suggestion. I'd love for Urusei Yatsura to get published because it is foundational to Shonen Romance.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to hear that, according to Zac and Dawn, many people don't consider "Beautiful Dreamer" a typical Urusei yatsura thing or that the tone is totaly different. It's not my experience, though. I watched around 100+ episodes of the TV series on french television in the late eighties before I saw any of the movies, so I was already quite familiar with the main characters and the tone of the series when I first saw Beautiful Dreamer around 1995. The movie's mood reminded me of some of the TV series more strange and darker episodes of the Oshii era (especially some around episode 75-100), but for people who saw the movie first and then went to see the first couples of TV episodes, the tone and style is indeed quite different, and I can understand a bit when they're taken aback by it.

Totally enjoyed today's podcast and I agree on a lot of things Zac and Dawn discussed about (for example the current art style of Takahashi vs. the old one, Akemi Takada's watercolor illustrations, Maison Ikkoku the manga vs. the TV series).
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Man I'd wish they'd release Urusei Yatsura on Blu-Ray.

Swissman wrote:
Interesting to hear that, according to Zac and Dawn, many people don't consider "Beautiful Dreamer" a typical Urusei yatsura thing or that the tone is totaly different. It's not my experience, though.

This is also my perspective. It's no less weird than the episode where Ataru's mother hits her head and dreams and I'd argue it's less interesting than that episode.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
It's no less weird than the episode where Ataru's mother hits her head and dreams and I'd argue it's less interesting than that episode.

Yes, that's the episode I was thinking about. Or the one episode where all the characters are murdered on an island expect Ataru. What a totally unexpected episode.

One thing more I disagree with Zac is about the love relationship/passion of Kyoko and Godai in Maison Ikkoku. Zac, you really need to reread the manga, especially the last volume with the chapter where Godai spends the night with Kyoko in her room and both open their hearts (& bodies) to each other. You can't get more passionated than that! Razz
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Topgunguy wrote:

If you already knew that you don't enjoy ANNCast (Zac is, after all, in every installment), then what made you consider listening to it this week? The topic?

Yes, I like Rumiko Takahashi series a lot, especially Urusei Yatsura, InuYasha, and Maison Ikkoku so that UY banner is what got my attention. Also, I don't follow ANNCast, I rarely click on links for it, and I don't think I've ever listened to a full show and thus I didn't realize it's his show.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote
First off, congrats on 300 episodes! I've only been listening regularly since 2013-ish (I think the first was the 2000s retrospective, after googling "best of the 00s," when getting more into anime during college).

I was definitely exposed to her work during the 90s (the first thing I ever saw was the one Ranma 1/2 movie that always had ads after the Pioneer VHS tapes of Pokemon) and read more of her manga a few years later (Ranma 1/2, Inuyasha, Mermaid Saga, etc...) I never really have read that much of Maison Ikkoku or Urusei Yatsura, probably due to when it came out and being hard to find in print afterwards.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3