• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks to Dub Haikyu!!, Flip Flappers, Tanaka-kun is Always Listless, Haven't You Heard? I

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Thrilled to see this news~! Hope Haikyuu!! gets a quality dub but even if it's not my personal taste I'm snatching up the seasons once they're re-released.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
This is great news I loved Tanaka-kun, Sakamoto, and Haikyuu!!. I'm not surprised that Haikyuu!! is getting a dub its feels like its more popular in the west than Kuroko's Basketball was which sadly still remains unlicensed. I hope Sentai will at least get that one eventually even if it is a subbed only release
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
LagannImpact wrote:
Wow, I wonder how soon these titles will be coming? Flip Flappers would make an awesome addition to Toonami.

I don't think so. Confused

Me neither. How would they handle the yuri subtext? Of the shows I recognize in this list, none of them have yuri content like Flip Flappers does. Yes, it's subtle, except for spoiler[the negligee scene], but it's certainly there.
kwchou1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Squid Girlie 2 Laughing Mr. Green !! It's gotta be CMC at minimum, but here's hoping for everyone. I really enjoyed the K-ON cast in different roles & the others (Takeru, Kiyomi), too.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:04 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Quote:
Sentai Filmworks to Dub Haikyu!!, Flip Fla-

Okay, think, think... Dave Matranga could make a solid Tobio Kageyama. And... Clint Bickham as Hinata? OOH! Chris Patton as Toru Oikawa! Yeah, that would be gold!
I haven't seen it, but that ginger kid on the front just screams Greg Ayres to me, or is that to obvious? They should get Vic Mignogna for someone, as it looks like his type of thing.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:23 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Sentai has actually outsourced a number of dubs to Bang Zoom.

Persona 4
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (film)
Rozen Maiden Overture
K-On! Season 2
Mahoromatic: I'm Home

So it's entirely possible they could do the same with Squid Girl.

Or they could just recast everyone and dub in-house like they did for Rozen Maiden Zuruckspulen. Mad
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:50 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Sentai has actually outsourced a number of dubs to Bang Zoom.

Persona 4
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (film)
Rozen Maiden Overture
K-On! Season 2
Mahoromatic: I'm Home

So it's entirely possible they could do the same with Squid Girl.

Or they could just recast everyone and dub in-house like they did for Rozen Maiden Zuruckspulen. Mad

That's true, but in that case, I think they would probably dub both seasons with a new cast, so there would be continuity as they did with Appleseed (though that was a movie.) In the case of Rozen Maiden, it wasnt a sequel season. It was more of a remake, similar to FMA:B. While watching the other series was helpful, it wasn't required, so changes in cast wouldn't be as startling, and continuity isn't as important.

It wouldn't make sense to release season 1 with one cast, and then release season two of Squid Girl with a completely different cast. In this case, it's a direct sequel series, so continuity is more important.

Not to mention, there is the fact that some of the Squid Girl VA's have recently been in Houston. So I'd say there's an extremely good chance that even if they are doing a new dub in house, they are at least trying to get some of the main cast back.

https://youtu.be/DTMDut5M6sA
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:51 am Reply with quote
I LOVE YOU SENTAI! Very Happy So happy that Squid Girl season 2 will be dubbed! Just extra cherries on top if you can get most of the cast back!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I'm very surprised Flip Flappers is being released on disc, and even more surprised that it got a dub. Maybe the viewing data on Crunchyroll was better than I thought, but this show is certainly a niche taste. Japanese sales so far have averaged only 800 discs per release, and the show was pretty much ignored by the vast bulk of the anime viewing audience in the West.

Flip Flappers certainly had its supporters! While I feel the show never atoned for its arcane storytelling, for which it now seems to have been punished, there was just enough with which to keep a limited audience's attention. If Sentai can reach the viewers who are partial to the magical girl genre and had fewer qualms with the series than me, this gamble will be worth their while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:57 pm Reply with quote
i had lost some love for Sentai since over the last few years their dub release began to dwindle so badly ...but so glad they are coming back with a vengeance now ...Dub away Sentai ..and i love your 2 cour (out of the gate ) releases ... just wish they had a mid grade no-frills chipboard box LE release as part of their strategy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3