• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death March to The Parallel World Rhapsody (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote

Death March to The Parallel World Rhapsody (TV)

Genres: adventure, fantasy, romance
Themes: harem, other world

Plot Summary: 29-year-old programmer Suzuki Ichirou finds himself transported into a fantasy RPG. Within the game, he's a 15-year-old named Satou. At first he thinks he's dreaming, but his experiences seem very real. Due to a powerful ability he possesses with limited use, he ends up wiping out an army of lizard men and becomes a high leveled adventurer. Satou decides to hide his level, and plans to live peacefully and meet new people. However, developments in the game's story, such as the return of a demon king, may cause a nuisance to Satou's plans.
----------------------------------

TV anime adaptation of the light novel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
First episode is out on Crunchyroll.

It felt rather blend imo except for the world fiction so far. Kinda curious to see how they will adapt that world. I'm going to have to get used to Satou's voice too in this show as I can't feel much personality coming from him. They didn't introduce most of the main girls yet so we'll probably see more of them as the story progresses.

Quite a bit of RPG themes with the leveling (MC went to level 310 in a single episode!), monsters, items, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Yup, this kind of ridiculous power fantasy show is exactly what I wanted. Probably not a show for a whole lot of people but this is definitely a keeper for me. I guess the isekai genre is now the standard when it comes to generic LN adaptions. I like the isekai genre so that's fine, but I don't want the magic highschool stuff to disappear.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Seems interesting so far, we'll see how it goes in a couple more episodes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:28 am Reply with quote
Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like kind of bad balance to have beating even 50 or whatever it was level 80 enemies to push you up to level 300, which seems to be unstoppable. Along with making no sense why he would get that sort of loot from lizard people.

I know the show is wanting to act aware and smart, but it is not really making it, instead still building up that idea of main character being super powerful unearned. He seems to have bouts where his personality does not reflect the character we were being set up as, the voice being a problem. Actually felt like something really wrong with the singing of the opening song, like people were out of tune that I can't the voice seiyuu are especially experienced, but the song also felt off.

This is maybe acting a step above In Another World With My Smartphone, but it is falling for many of the same traps, and other shows have gone against this sort of thing pretty effectively. I will probably watch it regardless. But, can we stop having overpowered main characters like this? It gives a feeling of a lack of earned accomplishments, and I am guessing whether the girls will actually be able to bring anything to the table when he is super awesome.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:15 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like kind of bad balance to have beating even 50 or whatever it was level 80 enemies to push you up to level 300, which seems to be unstoppable. Along with making no sense why he would get that sort of loot from lizard people.

Yeah, that didn't make any sense. In RPGs you usually stop earning XP from enemies that are far lower level than you. As for the loot, they were elite enemies if I remember correctly. Elite enemies giving good loot does make some sense.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:52 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

Yeah, that didn't make any sense. In RPGs you usually stop earning XP from enemies that are far lower level than you. As for the loot, they were elite enemies if I remember correctly. Elite enemies giving good loot does make some sense.

300 level 50 elite mobs..
An overabundance of blue or better gear along with tons of cash drops..
Seems like one poorly designed mobile game...

The story's hook is the MC is just sooo OP...

(At lease Overlord pokes fun at it's P2W game)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Eww, a 13 year old with a large chest was being made as a ship for the main character who is really 29. But the way he internally commented on her mother's weight for whether he would be interested in her was not cool either. I generally also feel there be a problem to how he is acting here with all smiles while what he should be like normally.

Some weird graphic things too, particularly a part early in the episode where the woman knight seems to start talking before her voice came out, and I am noticing a large amount of not showing characters talking. This is generally pretty early in the season, and the show at least on the surface has some polish that it looks good, but other parts seem to be setting something worrying.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Some weird graphic things too, particularly a part early in the episode where the woman knight seems to start talking before her voice came out, and I am noticing a large amount of not showing characters talking. This is generally pretty early in the season, and the show at least on the surface has some polish that it looks good, but other parts seem to be setting something worrying.

Well perhaps,just perhaps,they blew the budget on having Wake Up Girls! sing the ending Smile

Sigh this adaption reminded of why I did not buy this novel...The 29 year old and his slave harem of teeney boppers.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:41 am Reply with quote
His HUD being visible every time we get his POV is really annoying.

I'm thinking I might put this on the back burner, and watch it between other shows. There isn't enough annoyances for me to drop it, but it's not quite catching my attention, either...
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

So that street cleaner had to be a con artist or something, right? The other kid stains clothes and then she shows up to clean them. But I thought they'd be exposed later in the episode, but they weren't heard of again. And no one seemed to suspect anything. So maybe the hood wearing girl who conducts her business in back alleyways and has conveniently perfect timing was legit...

Maybe they'll show up again in a later episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Well perhaps,just perhaps,they blew the budget on having Wake Up Girls! sing the ending Smile

And I just learned that the OP is sung by Run Girls, Run!, which watching the last Wake Up Girls series gives me some thoughts, and why I continue to think it feels like it is sung out of tune.

While not completely bad, I liked some of the Satoo's ways of planning for the situation, some other aspects kind of actually annoy my RPG gamer side. Like I kind of thought it was cool how he got the map of the dungeon, and delights my planning enjoyment part of RPGs, I was thinking that his lack of urgency was actually disturbing. Even if it is just a game, I often feel an urgency in time sensitive situations where I might be particularly strong and weaker character may be in danger, even if they are NPCs. Rather than worrying about party tag along having clean clothes and cakes, I would hope that he recognise that people were in danger of monsters and that his superior strength should give him a responsibility to save as many as possible. They saw a big bug eating a person, if that was someone he could have saved, Satoo essentially killed them by wasting time, and kind of makes him feel a little bit of a sociopath.

He mentioned that he could see other people on the map. My preferred planning would be hopefully that he could put something into place to try and save the most people as possible in planning a rout, rather than worrying about resources that we have been told he should not have to worry about. I believe one thing a gamer should be good at is considering resources, risk, and at rewards which could be the saving of innocents, so he kind of loses points to me because the first two are pretty much cheated by him in not being an issue, leaving his lack of urgency for the saving of lives to be one.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:16 am Reply with quote
I really, really like the ending theme. It's happy, warm and pleasant to listen to. Somewhat similar to Konosuba's endings though Konosuba's endings have a bit more of a nostalgic feel to them.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Get all the girls/slaves! If that is what the bulk of his harem will compromise...

When the big demon appeared I had a mix of thoughts from two things, of Dungeons and Dragons with a Pit Fiend, and in general the Souls series that I have been into recently (spent last several weeks doing Bloodborne).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

So going off of what has been shown so far, I am guessing the ancient hero, who is the skeleton guy, was someone who reincarnated from Earth. He is not just like he some game master, he is acting as a game master, stole a princes to encourage people to take on his dungeon, so that someone could gain the title of hero. I foresee it going the way that the guy will be shown to be a good guy, and as some part of how some people think game master are evil and want to kill the heroes, when really they want to create a story that the adventurers can become heroes, only our hero keeps cheating or using exploits. It is the sort of thing that should be expected if we are meant to believe he is a wizard at programing such games. The skeleton game master loses points for lack of creativity though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2