• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Anime Soundtracks Missing Songs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:26 am Reply with quote
True. You also sometimes get these absolutely massive collector's boxes with every single song/bit of interstitial music... like with this big Sailor Moon Memorial Box that they have on sailormusic.net. Smile
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I think the most annoying case I've seen of this was not on an anime soundtrack, but the soundtracks to The Lord of the Rings. Now in that case, a truly complete soundtrack was released, aptly named The Complete Recordings... but it was a limited edition release way back when the movies were still new, and is pretty much impossible to get a hold of (physically, at least. I just checked after writing the massive rant below and found that it is apparently available on iTunes... Return of the King at least) nowadays. Back when I decided I wanted the soundtracks for these movies, I had no idea this set existed, so I just bought the single-disc soundtrack releases I found at the local store...

Return of the King's soundtrack left out several of my favorite pieces, most notably the theme that plays when Theoden's army rides into battle at Pelennor Fields (I mean it contains the music that plays when they enter the scene, but it cuts away to something entirely different just as the truly good part would start in the movie) and the music that plays when the ring is destroyed. Like, seriously? The moment the entire trilogy has been building up to and you couldn't give buyers of the standard-edition OST the music for it? What's even more ridiculous is that "The End of All Things", the track where you'd assume this piece would be found... contains like three minutes straight of music that isn't in the movie at all. Why. And then there's the fact that basically none of the music presented on the soundtrack matches up with how it is in the movie, like how the track "The White Tree" has this really big dramatic buildup near the end... where the final beat hits a much higher key on the CD than it actually does in the movie (which also renders the movie version sounding underwhelming by comparison but that's neither here nor there)...

I mean I guess it's still better than most cases in that the complete soundtrack was released, but it still bothers me that the version I actually got, and basically the only version I can buy on CD these days, doesn't even have half the music.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I do remember one particular case that was dicsussed, I think on Usenet, years ago - there was one piece of BGM from Chobits (that I myself was also rather fond of) that wasn't on any of the CDs for the show. The same track was, bizarrely, available on the CDs for X - but with two different monologues over it.

scrwbll19 wrote:
Part of the reason why iTunes is cheaper is because of the lower quality. A CD has a bitrate of 1411 kbps while mp3 has a max bitrate of 320 kbps. So, while you might be paying over 3 times the cost on Amazon.jp, you will be losing almost 4 times the sound quality. Just something to think about. Wink

CD Audio is uncompressed, so a direct bitrate comparison is meaningless. iTunes have also never used MP3 to my knowledge; they currently use AAC (originally with DRM but now without, although last time I tried using the Japanese iTunes store their files still had DRM and were also still at the lower pre-"iTunes Plus" bitrate).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
I think the most annoying case I've seen of this was not on an anime soundtrack, but the soundtracks to The Lord of the Rings.

The Return of the King animated movie soundtrack was a mess. There was a Disney record but it left out all the songs.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
Since this is a music-related rights issue, one recent approach I saw is a small step to addressing this. Tokyo Otaku Mode's YT channel has a 6/7 video called "Message from Megumi Ogata (Long ver.) - Animeg. 25th*". She explained that she wanted to crowdfund a project that would allow for a simultaneously release of her music to fans inside/outside of Japan and to bring attention to how the entertainment industry is doing in/out of Japan. She also did a Reddit AMA the day after ago and also brought this project up. She noted that she's working with a translator and that could mean a delay in replies or that things get lost in translation.

About that crowdfund: Using a Kickstarter-style site called "Tokyo Mirai Mode, the ""Animeg. 25th" Megumi Ogata 25th Seiyuu Debut Anniversary Project" project would feature music from several of her shows/movies she's been in. While the project ended on 7/10, she raised $32,297.00 on a $25,000 budget.

*In the Reddit thread, she mentioned her 25th anni. as a voice actor is on 10/10.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:44 am Reply with quote
Vee-Tee wrote:
True. You also sometimes get these absolutely massive collector's boxes with every single song/bit of interstitial music... like with this big Sailor Moon Memorial Box that they have on sailormusic.net. Smile

Or Kimagure Orange Road: Singing Heart².
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:35 am Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:

Quote:
Most of the time, the artists are specifically selected from a record label affiliated with the production in some way, specifically to avoid this problem.

Indeed.

Some Yuki Kajiura fans go through the complete series of an anime identifying pieces of music that don't appear in official soundtracks. Some music ends up on later releases (e.g. .hack//EXTRA CD containing tracks not on the .hack//SIGN OST 1 and 2), some are still unreleased.

It appears that the composers and/or record companies do notice an awareness from fans of unreleased soundtrack music and sometimes release additional soundtrack collections later. So making it known to the composers and record companies (maybe via twitter, or face-to-face as the companies themselves appear to be brick walls as far as accepting customer feedback).

Also, some soundtracks are released as double CD's initially (e.g. Norn9 anime OST although one needs to buy CD singles to get the full length versions of the OP and ED).
GuruBuckaroo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:52 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
One thing I miss the most from the 2000s anime bubble is Geneon's soundtrack-publishing wing, though maybe I miss it the most because they all wound up in RightStuf's $5 bargain bin after Geneon folded. I picked up a whole bunch of their releases over the years from series I watched. It wasn't from Geneon, but one soundtrack set in particular that stuck with me was that for Eureka seveN: it was 4 disks total and covered (as far as I know) pretty much every track from the series.

This may be the answer to one of the biggest soundtrack mysteries I've encountered. My favorite OP/ED song from Eureka 7, Sakura by Nirgilis, isn't available in any legal form I can find. I've looked at soundtrack releases, for Nirgilis singles/releases, and I'm stuck with a converted Youtube download because I can't find a legal way to buy the damned song. Take my damned money, people!
Toxic_Cancer_DG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I've heard some of the second soundtrack but didn't notice any from what I heard. I know that couple of those artists are with Sony the best at taking down the YouTube songs I want to hear so I'd assume they want the big bucks, whatever the case ill probably get the OSTs as the show had a ton of good tracks regardless of if the OPs/EDs are included
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
GuruBuckaroo wrote:
This may be the answer to one of the biggest soundtrack mysteries I've encountered. My favorite OP/ED song from Eureka 7, Sakura by Nirgilis, isn't available in any legal form I can find. I've looked at soundtrack releases, for Nirgilis singles/releases, and I'm stuck with a converted Youtube download because I can't find a legal way to buy the damned song. Take my damned money, people!

See https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B000E1NXV8 - used copies are available. Japanese used CD's are often indistinguishable from new copies except having been opened.

You can use a proxy buyer like fromjapan to buy used copies from amazon.co.jp resellers.

There are still titles that aren't available secondhand from amazon.co.jp resellers but it's a good start to finding out-of-print titles.
Beefy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
There's some BGM songs from Cowboy Bebop and Naruto that I've been looking for that never got released on the OSTs. They still taunt me to this day.

GuruBuckaroo wrote:

You can also find the song on the Eureka Seven Complete Best album, which collected all the theme songs on one disc.
JP UPC: 4-580163-590168
US UPC: 6-69198-20817-1
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:02 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
I was just finishing up a re-watch of Wolf's Rain last night, and there were a few times during the run of the series when I had to pause, quickly go through both the official CDs to try and find specific tracks, only to find out they were unreleased. It makes sense, since many of them are slight variations, either instrumentally or vocally, on an existing track, but its not something I really noticed until recently.

Oh Wolf's Rain- it has this great tune that is done a few times throughout the show in different arrangements, NONE on either of the albums. Someone put it up on youtube by cutting the piece from the series and removing the noise/other sounds that played, which saved me from having to rewatch certain bits of the show over and over just to listen to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3