• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hell Girl: Fourth Twilight (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Two conditions required to qualify: 1. Female and aged between 13-18. 2. Must have killed a lot of innocent people in retaliation for a grievous injustice. I reckon the second condition is why there aren't "multiple Hell Girls running around".

Except Yuzuki doesn't qualify for #2.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:47 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:
Two conditions required to qualify: 1. Female and aged between 13-18. 2. Must have killed a lot of innocent people in retaliation for a grievous injustice. I reckon the second condition is why there aren't "multiple Hell Girls running around".

Except Yuzuki doesn't qualify for #2.

She does. Burning the villagers responsible for the murder of your family is one thing, burning everyone else in the residential area under the landowner's remit regardless of their complicity qualifies for retribution.

You might see it differently, but Enma Ai makes it clear that the flame of vengeance Michiru conjured up was out of control and is a big determinant to the weight of Michiru's sin.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
I said Yuzuki, not Michiru. She was chosen as Ai's successor in season 3 for no real reason other than her being a ghost.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:39 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I said Yuzuki, not Michiru. She was chosen as Ai's successor in season 3 for no real reason other than her being a ghost.

My mistake. Different director and team for season 3 so slightly different approach to the franchise. What Yuzuki and Michiru do have in common are their status as victims of extreme injustice; both of them end up "apprenticing" to their intended roles by shadowing Enma Ai as she goes about her work.

In Yuzuki's case she was handpicked to succeed Ai without the second condition imposed from the first two seasons. Perhaps that is why she didn't execute the role as intended since she doesn't have the rod on her back that Enma Ai and Sagae Michiru have to bear.

In the manga adaptation of season 2, Ai's release disabled the website for over a decade until Yuzuki's supposed ascension to the role. With the loss of the traditional means of settling grudges before Enma Ai was anointed, it appears Hell lost patience waiting for someone of Ai's calibre and went for the handpicked route instead. Finding someone like Michiru is a gift Hell simply couldn't pass up.

I thought the age limit was 13-18, but it seems Michiru was only 11 when she died. Ai herself was about 15-16 so the age requirement is probably under 18 but at least 11.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
#7 (S1 #3)

After watching this episode, it shows how much has changed since the first season aired over a decade ago. Animation quality, colours, Ai's appearance etc. have evolved substantially since the first season.

The rest of the season will be specially selected episodes like this one which weren't re-aired as special telecasts in previous years. The only difference is the opening skit where the assistants and Kikuri mess around in Hone Onna's bar with the portrayal a mix of traditional Japanese puppetry and real-life photos interweaved into the scene.

The split is 3 from season 1, 1 from season 2 and the rest from season 3. I prefer the stand-alone episodes from season 2 best, but season 1 has the simpler epilogues where the condemned face some form of societal retribution after the truth is revealed.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:04 pm Reply with quote
The interesting thing about rewatching these old episodes is hearing all the now famous voice actors doing these bit roles. I wasn't as well versed in VAs back then as I am now so there's lots of "Wow, this person was in it?" moments.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
The interesting thing about rewatching these old episodes is hearing all the now famous voice actors doing these bit roles. I wasn't as well versed in VAs back then as I am now so there's lots of "Wow, this person was in it?" moments.

Capable of naming them all based on their speech pattern alone? Impressive. But it's a tough industry and bit roles in 2007 still paid a living.

It isn't difficult to match the names in the ED credits with online databases for the industry for the uninitiated.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Capable of naming them all based on their speech pattern alone? Impressive.

Not really. I'm sure even you recognised the voice of Shirou Emiya coming out of the a-hole pitcher's mouth.
dvls_advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
#7 (S1 #3)

After watching this episode, it shows how much has changed since the first season aired over a decade ago. Animation quality, colours, Ai's appearance etc. have evolved substantially since the first season.

A lot has changed for the better since the first season aired, but I prefer the older seasons taking the time to torment the person being sent to Hell by showing what they did to deserve such a fate. In the episode with the pitcher it took over 6 minutes between the time the red string was pulled and Hanagasa ending up being ferried to Hell in Ai's boat. I think that time was cut to about 30 seconds in this season's newer episodes.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Not really. I'm sure even you recognised the voice of Shirou Emiya coming out of the a-hole pitcher's mouth.

I didn't because I don't watch anime just to fawn over famous voice actor/actress doing a particular role. If I like how a character is portrayed, I can look up the credits and cross-reference the name with online career lists. Sometimes a voice might sound familiar, but most of the time I'm more concerned with the words being said rather than how they're spoken.

dvls_advocate wrote:

A lot has changed for the better since the first season aired, but I prefer the older seasons taking the time to torment the person being sent to Hell by showing what they did to deserve such a fate. In the episode with the pitcher it took over 6 minutes between the time the red string was pulled and Hanagasa ending up being ferried to Hell in Ai's boat. I think that time was cut to about 30 seconds in this season's newer episodes.

The third season did away with Ai's cleansing scene, which normally took up 1 1/2 - 2 minutes inclusive of travel time from her home. Later seasons also implement the torture scenes almost immediately after the string is pulled which cuts down on waiting time.

Another significant change is the nature of the targets themselves. The first season almost always exclusively portrayed the targets as deserving of their ferry trip in a straightforward and one-dimensional way. The second season changed things round by making targets more complex, which also changed the approach towards more character exposition and less on character torture.

Personally I suspect this season of 6 episodes suffered primarily because of a lack of human and financial resources. Shorter torture scenes mean less complex animation which is a budget saver. If I'm not mistaken the studio in charge is also doing Fate/Apocrypha which for obvious reasons is taking priority over all other projects undertaken for this season.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:42 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
I didn't because I don't watch anime just to fawn over famous voice actor/actress doing a particular role.

Hear a voice often enough and you'll recognise it when it pops up. No fawning required.

Harleyquin wrote:
If I'm not mistaken the studio in charge is also doing Fate/Apocrypha

You are mistaken. The entire Hell Girl franchise is Studio DEEN (who did the first FSN anime). Apocrypha is A-1 Pictures (who also do SAO among other things).

The nature of this season is likely due to it being an old franchise far past its prime. They get to put out something new for old fans, unsure if they can draw in anyone new, while keeping their costs down.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:26 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Hear a voice often enough and you'll recognise it when it pops up. No fawning required.

You are mistaken. The entire Hell Girl franchise is Studio DEEN (who did the first FSN anime). Apocrypha is A-1 Pictures (who also do SAO among other things).

The nature of this season is likely due to it being an old franchise far past its prime. They get to put out something new for old fans, unsure if they can draw in anyone new, while keeping their costs down.

Well I don't listen to Shirou's VA enough to instantly recognise him, but you certainly have so good for you.

Thanks for the correction. I agree with that assessment on this adaptation. Whether or not it's a commercial success despite its cost constraints will depend on the Japanese paying public.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I haven't bothered to check for the last 3 recap episodes, but I'm 100% certain the opening skit with Enma Ai's followers cuts into recap time necessitating removal of some of the original episode's scenes deemed less important for current airtime.

Only way I know this is because this week's recap is the only one from season 2 and the most memorable episode in that season for me because it had Wanyuudou in the spotlight. The parts which have been cut are the scenes of Wanyuudou running down the mountain highway in his ghost form before Enma Ai recruits him to be her carriage.

Two to go before this season finishes.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
#12 End

Now that all 6 reaired episodes have finished, it's now up to the Japanese paying public to decide if there will be a 5th season. Given the gap between 3 and 4, I'm not hopeful. I'm happy to be proven wrong but don't think it likely.

I thought this was the episode with Yamawaro's backstory, but I was wrong. Not a nice episode to finish off, but it's a good choice considering the theme of the first episode and the common threads running through both episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2