• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Lists Home Video Releases for Space Patrol Luluco, Super Lovers Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
WOW. I never thought Super Lovers would get released in English.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Luluco should really be a day-one purchase for me considering how great it is for a short series. I once again have motivation to get back to my online odd jobs...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I just watched Luluco a few days ago. JUDGEMENT GUN MORPHING!
zfunk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Well Funimation you better get Rachelle Heger to appear in the Space Patrol dub as you know who, or else the dub is a dud. It is completely worthless.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:08 am Reply with quote
JUSTICE!!!
Also, be assured, Re:Zero will get a dub and release
peno

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:00 am Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:

Still not sure why Funimation even bothers with Super Lovers or BL based anime in general if their ecchi shows are more likely to get a dub. Perhap the shotacon fanbase is stronger in the US than I expected.

Super Lovers is not shotacon. Except the intro part in first episode, Ren is 15-16 in the anime. That means he's teen, albeit young looking (in most of the series, he's actually going to High School) and in some countries, he's bellow the age of consent (in my country, age of consent is 15, in Canada (where part of the series takes place, BTW) it's 16 and similar age is in most of the world, actually, including some US states, which have age of consent 16). The only other questionable stuff there may be the fact the lovers are brothers, but they are actually step-brothers, they are not blood-related. And we had other anime where step-siblings and even blood-related siblings were in relationship and I rather not count the amount of anime which had incestuous relationship between blood-related cousins, so I don't see that as a problem, really. With this said, I don't really understand what's the problem with Super Lovers. It's actually one of a few BL anime that don't have rape, sad ending or anything like that and that makes it special for me, not the age of main character or their family status. So, I am happy the series will get home video release, even if it's sub only.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:00 am Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
Also, has Funimation forgot that they have the license to Concrete Revolutio? They haven't released it on blu ray and everything else from 2015 has been.
I need Concrete Revolutio on BD so badly.
64BitRatchet wrote:
Konosuba and Re:Zero would sell way better.
I haven't seen Re:Zero, but going off how big it was I thought they would of released it by now. Is it even licensed though, Wikipedia only has a licenser for the UK.
VinceA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:17 am Reply with quote
Finally get to hear spoiler[Inferno Cop] in English Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Vannil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:44 am Reply with quote
VinceA wrote:
Finally get to hear spoiler[Inferno Cop] in English Smile

I really hope Christopher Sabot does the voice for spoiler[(Inferno Cop)] or the Chief's voice. He is honestly the only VA from Funi whom I could think of that could do any of those characters justice.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:18 am Reply with quote
zfunk wrote:
Well Funimation you better get Rachelle Heger to appear in the Space Patrol dub as you know who, or else the dub is a dud. It is completely worthless.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. They should be able to have her record from LA; they've been doing it with Simuldubs (Attack on Titan Season 2).
katscradle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:

Super Lovers is not shotacon. Except the intro part in first episode, Ren is 15-16 in the anime. That means he's teen, albeit young looking (in most of the series, he's actually going to High School) and in some countries, he's bellow the age of consent (in my country, age of consent is 15, in Canada (where part of the series takes place, BTW) it's 16 and similar age is in most of the world, actually, including some US states, which have age of consent 16). The only other questionable stuff there may be the fact the lovers are brothers, but they are actually step-brothers, they are not blood-related. And we had other anime where step-siblings and even blood-related siblings were in relationship and I rather not count the amount of anime which had incestuous relationship between blood-related cousins, so I don't see that as a problem, really. With this said, I don't really understand what's the problem with Super Lovers. It's actually one of a few BL anime that don't have rape, sad ending or anything like that and that makes it special for me, not the age of main character or their family status. So, I am happy the series will get home video release, even if it's sub only.

You may have heard some of this before but, I’ll explain what gets under my skin with this series. I’m not judging anyone happy about this getting released either. I just hear so many criticisms/defenses around this is/isn’t I thought I’d share as someone that has first-hand experience with both the anime and manga.

I grew up somewhere the age of consent is 15 too. While there is no rape as you point out, everything in Super Lovers is not mutual, nor equal.

There is still in the first season and 2nd volume spoiler[an assault scene where Haru gets drunk and goes into Ren’s bedroom waking Ren up who thinks it’s the dog Haru has shut out. Ren is scared and protests, Haru telling Ren this is what Ren said he wants, the assault stopped only because Ren bites Haru’s tongue drawing blood. Haru first reactions are making excuses as if his awful behavior is a joke (though he knows this is both an untruthful and bad response) and Ren apologizes instead. When Ren in absent the next morning Haru, concerned, searches for him and after finding him once again Ren apologizes for the incident the previous night promising to be a good little brother, flinching at Haru’s touch ushering him back home.

Not to mention the above is framed in a discussion of home over the lost dog the Kaidou family adopts. It is repeatedly pointed out in this series how Ren is a young person without stability and security. What a wonderful boy he is because he works so hard, etc.. Haru recognizes his own manipulations and Ren’s compensations but about it does…]

Even when characters within the Super Lovers world are uncomfortable or raise concerns about the behaviors between Haru and Ren they witness, it is explained away with the incorrect images of how foreigners conduct themselves (since Ren is practically like a foreigner because he’s lived overseas most of his life), or it’s OK as there is no blood relationship since he’s adopted. Or even thinking it's better for Ren to stay than be traumatized further by being sent away to another youth home.

All of the above represent toxic attitudes that are mirrored in the real world. Now this series is fictional and fiction is a great way to explore just about every kind of subject. However, to me Super Lovers is a breed of carefully coded, idealistically titled, bright-coloured, romanticized, formula filled popular BL, exploiting taboos while lowly wrapping itself in the traumas of its main characters.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
I am utterly shocked that Drifters did not get a limited edition.

I had the same reaction when I saw their blog post last night. I double checked to make sure that I didn't overlook it on the list since it seemed surprising to me that Orange and ReLife would have LEs, but not Drifters, but I didn't see one. Funimation certainly treated it like a big deal at the time, and did weekly extra videos with it. I guess maybe it didn't do as well as they thought it would, but that still surprises me.
Nyron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Luluco is incredible but why is a 1hr series MSRPing for $35? Jeez. I hope it comes with a soundtrack CD or something, but probably not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2