• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream My First Girlfriend is a Gal Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCTakato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:26 am Reply with quote
I still do not understand the appeal of anime characters with unrealistic breast sizes.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:31 am Reply with quote
Ah good, another self-insert series for otaku too terrified to so much as talk to an actual female.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:52 am Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
Shizune Fujinoki

Correction: it's Nene.

Anyhow, it's amazing how Nene just happened to develop large breasts despite being so short... Surprised
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:22 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Ah good, another self-insert series for otaku too terrified to so much as talk to an actual female.

And seeing as "Gal" isn't instantly synonymous with model/pinup in the West, maybe "First-Time Gal" would be a more sensible title?

(I kept looking at the "I Can't Believe I'm A Mile Long Light-Novel Title", and thought, "Okayyyy...That makes sense...Is there some plot reason why she wouldn't be? Confused ")
Random Name

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:32 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I still do not understand the appeal of anime characters with unrealistic breast sizes.
besides that the story sounds awful. Also the MC seems as unlikable as one can be.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:35 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the comic, so maybe I'm off base, but this really comes across as the worst parts of Yamada's First Time, combined with the worst parts of Please Tell Me, Galko-chan! (two shows that, as much as I enjoyed them, had a lot of "questionable" moments).
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:48 am Reply with quote
It'd normally be a show I'd avoid, too. But I am curious about their approach to someone who's a more assertive type-without the tsundere trappings.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:38 am Reply with quote
I'm missing something about this show's title, I think. If I am correct in assuming that a 'gal' is a girl, then the name is inescapably tautologous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Random Name

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:44 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I'm missing something about this show's title, I think. If I am correct in assuming that a 'gal' is a girl, then the name is inescapably tautologous.
In the article it explains "Yame, a trendy and fashion-conscious "gal" (gyaru)". For more info on its meaning just google "gyaru".
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:51 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I haven't read the comic, so maybe I'm off base, but this really comes across as the worst parts of Yamada's First Time, combined with the worst parts of Please Tell Me, Galko-chan! (two shows that, as much as I enjoyed them, had a lot of "questionable" moments).

I'm interested in this, and I liked both of the things you mentioned. Here's hoping it combines the best parts of both.

Yamada's first time I really liked almost all of, but I do admit it could get a little... dumb at times, like with kanejou and the brother love.

Galko chan was pretty good, but some moments were a bit dull and it could have served to have more content.

i haven't been able to get much of a sense of this new thing from the PVs, so I'm wondering whether we agree about what the good and bad parts of BGHK and Galko chan were.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:53 am Reply with quote
So for those who read the source material the story is actually kinda sweet. It's about a nervous guy who gets a girl out of sheer luck, originally planing to just lose his virginity to her and then goes through the trials of understanding love, what relationships are really about and the bond two people can form.

The internet tends to hate on the MC guy for "being a Beta loser." Because he's a decent guy who doesn't jump here each time she flirts or teases a bit. He's a pretty realistic interpretation of a nervous guy with a hot girl and the internet has trouble liking him probably because he's so much how they would act in those situations. Somehow Junichi gets a bad MC rap for being a NICE GUY!
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:31 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
The internet tends to hate on the MC guy for "being a Beta loser." Because he's a decent guy who doesn't jump here each time she flirts or teases a bit. He's a pretty realistic interpretation of a nervous guy with a hot girl and the internet has trouble liking him probably because he's so much how they would act in those situations. Somehow Junichi gets a bad MC rap for being a NICE GUY!

Then I don't know what you were reading but the MC is hated on because he's a shallow ass not because of his "beta" personality.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:40 am Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Then I don't know what you were reading but the MC is hated on because he's a shallow ass not because of his "beta" personality.

I only see people saying he was shallow at the start, things have certainly turned to him being a wussy, at least on reddit they have.

Also something I forgot to mention, if this get's a simaldub I really want Jamie Marchi to either voice Main Girl or be involved in writing the show, she's usually really good with the more fanservice and sex joke shows.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:48 am Reply with quote
Nice, glad Crunchy are streaming this, one of the shows I am most looking forward to.

CCTakato wrote:

It's really not that hard to understand at all though. A lot of people do not want realism in their escapist series and if big breasts floats their boat then what is the problem? It's aimed at people who like that kind of thing. I don't get this train of thought whenever I see it.
Random Name

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:56 am Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
Nice, glad Crunchy are streaming this, one of the shows I am most looking forward to.

CCTakato wrote:

It's really not that hard to understand at all though. A lot of people do not want realism in their escapist series and if big breasts floats their boat then what is the problem? It's aimed at people who like that kind of thing. I don't get this train of thought whenever I see it.
To me at least I don't find any of the characters to be particularly attractive there proportions seem very odd and something is just off when I look at it. The best way I can describe there character design is low budget H game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3