• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Princess Principal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
This looks good, I wish Amazon had licensed it for the UK as well.

HIDIVE has it outside the US, including the UK.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:00 am Reply with quote
If there's one aspect I never liked in action movies, it is the "3rd wheel tag-along" who unintentionally impedes our action hero(ine) because I found those groan-worthy. Beatrice was really skirting the line on that aspect (seriously, she should shush while they're on a MISSION). And if it weren't for her unexpectedly dark backstory that gave her that useful voice changing ability, my initial opinion of her would have been pretty dire. I did like the camaraderie she formed with Ange in the end though.
phatmlrd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
This show is adorable, I hope nothing bad happens to them!
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, if this series is planning to show its episodes in non-chronological order, then it will be another aspect of this series I find to be very interesting. I'm still very much enjoying this series and agree with basically everything Mr. Martin said in this review. Although, I do wonder if this series is going to be 13 episodes long or have more than that number. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Last edited by Joshua Zarate on Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
chito895

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Hidive is listing the show with 12 episodes. I'm not sure how accurate is this or if there's more info about this on other place. Do we know how many BDs have been solicited?

Anyway, I'm having more fun than I expected. The whole scrambled episodes thing is curious. Since Ep. 1 was case 13, I wonder which one will be the finale. i suppose it will have something to do with the deal between Princess and Ange.

I had a lot of fun with Beatrice in the laat episode, but I do wonder how quickly these girls are changing clothes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
They did explain that they took in Chise under the graces of some sort of person who must be enough that the spy agency would trust.

I kind of had myself wowed a few times in the recent episode. The look of the mine like room with glowing rocks, rough walls and pristine floor, and the music of when Ange was descending around all of those pipes, there felt like some good cohesive work here.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quote
So this "serious" spy show featured the girls running around wearing gowns doing spy work, Ange and Beatrice pulling a Little Rascals stunt, Ange literally shutting up Beatrice all the while the girls are figuring out what to name their team. I, for one, approve of these goofy moments. Laughing
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I will comment on some of the mistakes of this review, and the first is: the story does not revolve around a person brawl between Chise and a notorious murderer, the episode brings a historical intonation, ie an agreement between Albion [UK - British Empire ] And Japan. That's historical even, it talks about the end of the Shogunate. Relations between Britain and Japan go back to that time. The reviewer does not even bother about it. I have not seen the review of episode 4, so I assume it has been somewhat negative, because for the author not to have any serious commitment to this review, that's the only conclusion I can reach.

Of course, I may be wrong about this if you read. Although, after seeing this review, I will hardly do it. Of course, I might as well be mistaken. Misled about the previous review, not about the disregard of this one from here.
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I think that the fact that this show is going to be just 12 episodes and the first one is titled case 13 means that there will be future episodes that go higher than 13 and any skipped cases will just be implying that the team is doing more missions than we see in the show.

Also I'm going to laugh if it turns out that the black lizard planet thing is actually something important.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
After 5 episodes I am still enjoying Princess Principal, and it has become my favorite anime series from Summer. The story is still not where I want it to be, but hanging out with these girls is a blast, and the visuals are of good quality and pleasing to look at.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that fight between Chise and her father was definitely a highlight for me and the show as a whole. 5 episodes in and this is my number 2 for personal favorite of the season with Made in Abyss being my number 1. Another great episode here and looking forward to more. Very Happy
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
PFdaCIA wrote:
I will comment on some of the mistakes of this review, and the first is: the story does not revolve around a person brawl between Chise and a notorious murderer. . .

Uh, no, it entirely does. The mission to negotiate with Albion is merely the stage-setting here; the actual story is about introducing Chise, and that can't be done without heavily emphasizing her defining conflict with Jubei.

And the stuff about the Albion/Japan agreement? Maybe it was worth a mention, but this setting already deviates dramatically enough from actual history that it's a minor relevance at best.

Joshua Zarate wrote:
5 episodes in and this is my number 2 for personal favorite of the season with Made in Abyss being my number 1.

Yeah, it's real close between those two for me, too. Among new shows Gamers! is a strong but distant third.

Whether or not I'll put any or all of those three ahead of Re:Creators at the end of the season remains to be seen. It'll depend on how strong the latter comes out of its month-long run of specials and set-up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
PFdaCIA wrote:
I will comment on some of the mistakes of this review, and the first is: the story does not revolve around a person brawl between Chise and a notorious murderer. .

Uh, no, it entirely does. The mission to negotiate with Albion is merely the stage-setting here; the actual story is about introducing Chise, and that can't be done without heavily emphasizing her defining conflict with Jubei.

And the stuff about the Albion/Japan agreement? Maybe it was worth a mention, but this setting already deviates dramatically enough from actual history that it's a minor relevance at best.

You are completely wrong! Absolutely wrong! First: the story is fictitious, but it works with real historical themes. In this case, it is not just the introduction of the character, it has an importance in addition. From the way the review is made, it just seems like a meaningless treatise, and a killer who "passed by" and then decided to kill a guy he did not like.

The background of the story concerns an agreement between the Kingdom and Japan, an agreement that would be ratified because it already existed, ie bilateral ties would be brought up to date. This has to do with historical bilateral relations. In previous episodes there are hundreds of important details about the global consequences of the war between the Commonwealth and the Kingdom of Albion.

There is a whole historical involvement within the fictional plot, which is what the reviewer should have observed, and not have made this superficial revision that serves more to get the wrong idea of ​​the seriousness of the plot than anything else. I say this, because Animenewsnetwork reviewers often act very badly on the original series.
Hikaru Suzuhara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:59 am Reply with quote
Next Princess Principal - Episode 6 "Case 18 Rouge Morgue"

Source: They announce the next episode's case number and title on http://lantis-net.com/pripri-radio/ which releases new installments shortly after the latest episode airs in Japan each week.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:22 am Reply with quote
PFdaCIA wrote:
You are completely wrong! Absolutely wrong! First: the story is fictitious, but it works with real historical themes. In this case, it is not just the introduction of the character, it has an importance in addition. From the way the review is made, it just seems like a meaningless treatise, and a killer who "passed by" and then decided to kill a guy he did not like.

Boy, you're reading what you want into what I said.

No, I didn't go into explicit detail about why the treaty modifications were being sought, partly because a) the episode doesn't give us a lot of specifics on that, and b) it's not relevant to the main thrust of what's going on in the episode, which is Chise's introduction. Also, the intent of these reviews is to give an analysis, not a detailed play-by-play. If the treaty stuff becomes important in a future episode or a plot focal point then I'll bring it up then.

Quote:
The background of the story concerns an agreement between the Kingdom and Japan, an agreement that would be ratified because it already existed, ie bilateral ties would be brought up to date. This has to do with historical bilateral relations. In previous episodes there are hundreds of important details about the global consequences of the war between the Commonwealth and the Kingdom of Albion.

Then list out those hundreds. Seriously! You're assuming an awful lot more than what is actually shown, partly because you're assuming it follows actual history very closely even though there's not a lot of evidence to support that. While I might have missed or not given full weight to an odd detail here or there, I seriously doubt that I've missed "hundreds" of such details.

Quote:
I say this, because Animenewsnetwork reviewers often act very badly on the original series.

Other examples? Again, seriously! If you're going to make blanket accusations like this then be prepared to back them up with specifics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7