• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Princess Principal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Man, another episode of me praising the whole show again and at this point, I feel like I'm repeating myself whenever I comment on this thread.

That is the same reason why I rather not post after every episode because I would be repeating how much I liked the episode. I hope the last 3 episodes deliver a satisfactory ending.
chaccide

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:37 am Reply with quote
Are people really complaining about anachronisms in a show where people are able to float with the use of magic chemicals? There are obviously major differences between our world and theirs.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote
That episode. What a thing to happen on World Suicide Prevention Day. Shocked
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
That episode. What a thing to happen on World Suicide Prevention Day. Shocked

Was not aware of that when I wrote the review. That does make for a supreme irony, doesn't it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
^^It most definitely does. Anyway, for this week, I'll have my usual/standard praises of the show short and straight to the point. That twist though. Pretty good episode and I'm looking forward to the next one.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:28 pm Reply with quote
As hard as it was to do, I had to rewind for the moment of suicide, because that felt incredibly raw and got quite the reaction out of me. And it kind of just left implications of her with the drug she was taking, not feeling the need to outright explain what the deal was, but just that the pressure was getting to her and she sought the release.

Maybe an unimportant detail that actually meant nothing, but something like a random guy reacting when Dorothy was running to the gunshot had me wonder if identities of characters is going to be blown.

This show can actually get away with a little humour like Beatrice failing to control the car for one scene, and the next what happened in the train compartment.
NightSide

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:46 am Reply with quote
My jaw dropped for several seconds after watching Eleanor spoiler[shot herself]. I was kinda expecting that, but the scene direction made it much more shocking.

And the reason for her drug addiction, I think it's for more "common" reason. That is because she's constantly depressed.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
That upcoming last episode is going to have a lot of ground to cover from the team reunion, Ange apologizing to Princess, and the entire wall situation. It makes me wonder if the latter won't be fully resolved as it would potentially make solid material for a S2.

Anyways, episode 11 rocked because of the fun spy thriller scenes in the shopping center and having a callback of Ange and Charlotte playing switch-a-woo against the agents. Now to wait and see whether the staff will nail the landing of the last episode.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Just now caught up on this show; it's been a while since i've seen an anime where i enjoyed each individual episode so much. Episode 10 was especially affecting to me, with spoiler[the suicide scene] being so shocking in its bluntness. I was reminded a bit of Madoka Magica, where a similar scene in spoiler[episode 10] of that show was played a bit too melodramatic for me, but i felt Princess Principal got the exact correct tone.

AAAAAHH, i love this show! I don't normally like "cute girls club activity" shows, but this is unlike any other one i've sampled. The spycraft is cool and believeable, like the stuff you'd see in a spy museum; the world feels so believable, lived-in, and based on reality; each girl has a distinct personality, skillset, and motivations, without being reduced to archetypes. I thought this was supposed to be a weak season of anime, but i'm pleasantly surprised that i'm enjoying this show so much.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ange has appeared to be the strong one: the inveterate liar and action woman, the schemer, and when necessary the ruthless killer

Are we still calling her Ange? I thought it was established at this point that she's Charlotte?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I also thought the episode had this real feeling of grim, and that is in the face of how it could get away with its kind of cute/sweet ED after some pretty sad endings. But the effective dissolution of the team, and seeing Ange/Charlotte very emotionally hurt really felt surprisingly affecting.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this was mentioned in the show before, but I just noticed in this episode that Ange's (assumed) full name is Ange le Carré, which is presumably a reference to spy novelist and former spy, John le Carré.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Princess Principal ends with a well done but kind of predictable final episode. But I feel very satisfied with it and the whole series. My only requirement for this conclusion was to have the five girls alive and together. This is easily my favorite Summer anime show. And even though I am satisfied with these 12 episodes, a 90-100 minutes sequel or side story movie will be welcomed. My final grade for the series is a very strong B+

Finally, I really appreciated the spoiler[short epilogue after the credits rolled].
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't write on forum much but I had a blast with Princess Principal so I guess I should write a few things. Definitely one of the best shows this season, it really deserves the praise it got from most anime sites and even Youtube.

The last episodes weren't as strong as before, but the relationship between Ange and Princess was well delivered. Overall, a solid Very good (7.75) from me. And I'm glad the show is doing well with its Bluray sold, hopefully it will have a sequel. In the mean time, the game will keep me entertained.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Kind of a typical ending, but still very good. Even when the show isn't at it's best, it is still a worthwhile watch. I felt like these last two episodes felt sorta rushed and came out of nowhere though. If this had been a two-cour anime, I feel they would have had a lot more freedom to move in the story. Hopefully it gets a second season because this anime was overall one of the best in years, and I absolutely hate being left hanging without a finished story. Anime is so bad about this; never letting people know if they'll make another season even when the story hasn't ended.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7