• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Licenses Studio Ghibli's Full Catalog for Blu-ray/DVD Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:
I hope they use the original Totoro dub..

They have to re-license the original dub that was done by Streamline way back when.
I would imagine the master audio recordings for all the English dub sessions since the late 1980s were turned over to Ghibli since the films are theirs.

I kind of wondered when Disney's Ghibli license would expire. They don't make these contracts last forever -- there is a defined limit for licensees to hold rights exhibition and home video rights to films they don't technically own.

(The same has been true for both Speed Racer and Robotech and any other anime that has had rights lapses and reversions to the original footage owners. The companies that produced localized adaptations like Voltron and Robotech have to periodically renegotiate contracts for the Japanese animation footage those series use.)

Let's face it -- GKids pretty much HAS been the main Ghibli licensee and exhibitor for the past few years. They've been exhibiting the Ghibli films subbed and with the Disney-supervised dubs for at least the past 18 months, going on two years at least now so this is a logical move for them. Every Ghibli feature Disney passed on or sub-licensed ended up being exhibited and put on video by GKids thus far.

I would imagine Ghibli's not going to hurt since Disney's major involvement with them has been over for a while (at least 3 years; The Wind Rises was the last Ghibli film Disney had major involvement with and bothered to exhibit in the US on their own) and the fact that they disbanded the permanent studio staff I'm sure is a factor in recent developments. Disney did give them production money for the films produced since the late 1990s but I would imagine Disney Home Video has gotten out of this deal all they thought they would and that it's no loss to either company to part ways.

I'm glad the films WON'T be technically going out of print on home video. It's very frustrating to wait ten years before in-print releases! (I'm still waiting for somebody to license-rescue the Satoshi Kon films that are LONG out of print and do decent hi-def remasters of those films!! Somebody preferably NOT Sony!!!)

I would gladly buy some of the Ghibli features again with improvements. I think it's no question GKids willl license the Disney-supervised dubs. Remember, the rights to the English dub audio belongs to Ghibli, NOT Disney. The dubs exist and are generally well-regarded. Why bother to redub the films?!?

Now whether GKids will bother to pick up the alternate English dubs for either My Neighbor Totoro or Kiki's Delivery Service will be up to fan-demand and whether they think it's worth putting an audio track that will consume precious disc space is worth it. Most people would probably be happy with just the Disney dubs... It's really only purists and the 10 fans of the older English dubs that want them. I personally thought the Streamline dub of Totoro was just as good as the Disney version. Where I've heard the Disney dub being superior is Kiki's Delivery Service but I don't have a personal opinion on that since I haven't watched the film with that dub playing!
We definitely WON'T be hearing the original English dub for Nausicaa (Warriors of the Wind) anytime soon... (That may be an audio track Ghibli LOST on purpose given Miyazaki's dislike for the original English release.) The edits, changes in dialogue, film length and any other alterations (music) make a re-release of that unwanted and technically infeasible just like Funimation couldn't release Speed Racer and Mach Go Go on the same discs sharing video...
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or are they gonna redub it all?
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
So the Disney blurays of Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle I bought just a couple weeks ago are actually just surplus stock?
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:
Is it just me or are they gonna redub it all?

Nah, what would the be the point?

Most people were happy with the dubs.
They cost a lot of money and unless people really, really complain they won't do another English dub.
The film weren't edited, nothing was cut from them (except for minor rescoring in Kiki's Delivery Service which was approved by Miyazaki)!
The promise NOT to cut was the whole point of Disney getting the license to the Ghibli theatrical library over all the other major Hollywood studios.

I'll be honest -- there were only two Ghibli English dubs I really hated and that's because of issues with casting and performance. The films are still passable but I'd still prefer to see them subbed. About half the films I'll watch either way.

I really didn't understand WHY they cast Billy Bob Thornton in Princess Mononoke. I thought that was easily one of the weaker Disney dubs but it wasn't just because of him. That whole film's dub felt -- wonky.

The GKids dub of Only Yesterday was as bad or worse. They inexplicably let the male lead speak with his own natural accent but had the female lead speak with an unnatural-sounding American accent that had almost no intonation (to represent different regions of Japan). It was one of the flattest performances I've heard in a VERY long time in any animated feature. It would definitely be a contender for WORST female performance in an animated feature for at least the past ten years from me!
The choices they made in that film for character direction on top of the casting were just off-kilter to me and made the film a less enjoyable experience and it already had a very deliberate pace...
Gwydion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
If we finally get a release of Castle in the Sky without dubtitles, I would buy it in a heart beat! Most Ghibli dubs I'm ok with, even if I still prefer the original Japanese, but it would be my favorite one with a dub I greatly dislike and subtitles that make someone with even my extremely limited Japanese eyeroll... I'm going to keep my fingers crossed! I pretty much never double dip, but for this I'd make an exception.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow cool! I think I own them all, but still very cool!
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know how the subtitles are on the Miyazaki collection from Amazon?

Thanks
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:
I hope they use the original Totoro dub..

They have to re-license the original dub that was done by Streamline way back when.
I would imagine the master audio recordings for all the English dub sessions since the late 1980s were turned over to Ghibli since the films are theirs.

Last I heard that dub belongs to Fox, which seems to be the main reason why Disney wasn't able to use it.

Quote:
Where I've heard the Disney dub being superior is Kiki's Delivery Service but I don't have a personal opinion on that since I haven't watched the film with that dub playing!

I've seen the Streamline dub. While the performances aren't as refined as Disney's, it's still solid overall. The take on Kiki is similar to the Disney one, but the direction of Jiji is different. He sounds less sardonic, but more snooty. The actor's voice is also younger, sounding closer to Lupin from their Cagliostro dub even though it's not the same VA.
Quote:

We definitely WON'T be hearing the original English dub for Nausicaa (Warriors of the Wind) anytime soon... (That may be an audio track Ghibli LOST on purpose given Miyazaki's dislike for the original English release.) The edits, changes in dialogue, film length and any other alterations (music) make a re-release of that unwanted and technically infeasible just like Funimation couldn't release Speed Racer and Mach Go Go on the same discs sharing video...
It's probably collecting dust in the archives of 21st Century Fox, which inherited the New World Pictures catalog.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:44 pm; edited 7 times in total
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Thanks

I have the Miyazaki collection, and the films that previously had dubtitles (Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Princess Mononoke) now have both the direct translation and english for the hearing-impaired, which is basically the script from the dub.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
There's only one thing I want to know: who's responsible for the streaming rights? Ghibli movies aren't available to stream legally, at least not in the US. Perhaps Disney never had streaming rights for the films, but the Ghibli movies GKids has aren't available, either, so it's possible Ghibli doesn't give streaming rights to anyone. But maybe this new deal will have a streaming aspect to it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
BTW, be sure to keep pestering them about On Your Mark.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
There are two important points you guys are missing here:

1. Are we finally going to get a blu-ray release of Castle in the Sky with the transcendent orchestral score that Disney inexplicably left out of its rerelease?

and

2. Is Grave of the Fireflies included in this deal? The wording of the article sure makes it seem like it, but its lack of involvement in the Disney deal makes me think I think might not. I mean, doesn't Sentai Filmworks still own the license?

And for the people wondering why this is noteworthy: Disney simply never seemed to give their Ghibli releases the passion and care GKIDS has for the last five years, so having the entire catalog (as well as Yamada's for the first time!) in their possession now excites me on a pure level of what supplementary material they'll include that Disney always passed on. From the previously mentioned Castle in the Sky score to simpler "making of" features that the Japanese and UK releases always had, I hope they're beefier than the Disney release were.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:

2. Is Grave of the Fireflies included in this deal? The wording of the article sure makes it seem like it, but its lack of involvement in the Disney deal makes me think I think might not. I mean, doesn't Sentai Filmworks still own the license?

Sentai still has Grave. Their Bluray is still in print, and they are still streaming it on several sites and Anime Network VOD. I would guess they probably have at least two years left on that license, possibly more.

Edit: GKids confirmed that their deal DOES NOT include Grave of the Fireflies.
https://mobile.twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/status/887006514116014080
Varkias

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
True, although ironically, I got into Ghibli through the Fox Lorber dub of My Neighbor Totoro, as well as fansubbed VHS copies of other Ghibli films--in my university's anime club back in the late 1990's (which, at the time, was the only way to see many of these films). That said, I might pick up these new DVD's (or Blu-Rays, we'll see) when the price drops a few/several years from now.[/quote]

Hehe I got into Ghibli (and anime! - was too young to notice any difference when Speed Racer, Tranzor Z, and Voltron were on tv) with the old VHS Warriors of the Wind dub of Nausicaa. Shocked Smile

Now, why do I like to hit myself with the age-stick so much? Razz Rolling Eyes
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Thanks

I have the Miyazaki collection, and the films that previously had dubtitles (Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Princess Mononoke) now have both the direct translation and english for the hearing-impaired, which is basically the script from the dub.

Great to hear, thanks =)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5