• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: New Game!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
hotaru fits a role there are were complaints about regarding aoba, the problem is yeah, unless they change things up that won't happen this season.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'll agree with Mr. Jensen and say that this was a strong episode that I felt did a real nice job of constructing emotional scenes that garnered a reaction out of me. I hope that the show's staff can keep up the good work and at this point, that's very likely to happen.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Ko's reaction to the decision was quite strong, that she would feel horrible to take Aoba's chance.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I really like it when storyline have character skill actually be relevant, usually emotion is the only thing that matters and people with skill/experience will lose out to inexperienced newbie because "they really put there heats into it".

Sadly for this instance, I just can't buy into Ko reputation. The design from the first season done by Ko were extremely generic, boring, unoriginal and overall barely better than what you see when you open any trashy jpg made with rpgmaker the pollute steam these days. The design this season are light-year ahead, there not even on the same plane of existence. So I just really can't buy that Ko actually has a good reputation, I don't have the suspension of disbelief needed, it's just a case of "tell, don't show".
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
this reminds me of something that happened when rage of the dragons was created, according to the staff, the publishing company did not feel like using the character designers art (tozani, mamongst other guys now doing whatever as game work is not exactly a profitable/livable careeer in mexico)., so they really ended hiring a random japanese artist instead.

meiam wrote:

Sadly for this instance, I just can't buy into Ko reputation. The design from the first season done by Ko were extremely generic, boring, unoriginal and overall barely better than what you see when you open any trashy jpg made with rpgmaker the pollute steam these days. The design this season are light-year ahead, there not even on the same plane of existence. So I just really can't buy that Ko actually has a good reputation, I don't have the suspension of disbelief needed, it's just a case of "tell, don't show".

remember that this show is based in the author's experiences, so that's from around the early ps2 era games, so ko's designs were not that generic back then.
EmpyreanBlaze

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Yay, new girls first introduction and Nene is back! Christina's tundere revelation and lastly a new ending. Fruitful episode overall, lots of comedic moments.

*Can't believe I forgot to mention Suzumiya Aoba. 'Nuff said.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:15 pm Reply with quote
By the tone of the reviewer he appears to see the maid cafe skit in episode 8 as a negative. To me it was very amusing and fits with what New Game really is at its heart, an otaku pandering show. The show happens to have good character writing, but this is a show designed to sell merchandise to otakus; it is not supposed to be a deep and serious character drama.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
The maid cafe skit was hilarious and there were a lot of cool small moments in it. Like discovering Hifumi's "I'm not involved in this" face. Classic.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
By the tone of the reviewer he appears to see the maid cafe skit in episode 8 as a negative. To me it was very amusing and fits with what New Game really is at its heart, an otaku pandering show. The show happens to have good character writing, but this is a show designed to sell merchandise to otakus; it is not supposed to be a deep and serious character drama.

It's more fun when i remember that the caracteres were originalmente male
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I kinda wish they'd actually start to show Momo's art, it's pretty pointless to try and set up a rivalry when we have no idea of the relative skill level involved. Is Momo just a try hard who actually is very average and is clearly bitting more than she can chew or is she actually a real threat?

The maid caffe scene could have been introduced better ("hey there's going to be a maid outfit, here try these different outfit, oh btw you should act like maid to really get into it") and it dragged on a bit too much.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I kinda wish they'd actually start to show Momo's art, it's pretty pointless to try and set up a rivalry when we have no idea of the relative skill level involved. Is Momo just a try hard who actually is very average and is clearly bitting more than she can chew or is she actually a real threat?

I think that would actually be a hilarious set up for a joke. Especially after she claims to be "pretty good"

I'm a little surprised some people actually like the "I'm super skeezy and horny all the time and want to make everyone else uncomfortable so I can get off on it". I love my Otaku-pandering trash, but this is NOT something I appreciate. It's like watching my horny, perverted aunt try to kiss all of the kids at kindergarten and dress them up in "cute" clothes that are overly sexual. It makes me want to drag someone off to prison. Having the characters dress up in maid outfits is totally cool, but don't make it a scene of discomfort for them. Have them do it because they want to and because it's cute!
Anyway, I wish those characters would go away. No, I'm not getting nosebleeds while watching the show, no, I don't need you to tell me how I'm supposed to be super turned on right now, no, sexual assault(other examples of this character trope) is not funny.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:46 am Reply with quote
@ relyat08 - I have a certain degree of sympathy for where you're coming from even if I had a very different reaction to the scene (I found it hilarious). I'm convinced that Japanese people experience social discomfort more keenly (in general) than a lot of other societies and so it's not surprising that anime features tons of scenes of characters experiencing the dreaded social discomfort.

What elevated the scene for me (yes, that's right - ELEVATED!) was that it actually didn't concentrate on typical fanservice, like pantsu. Yes, the Director was clearly aroused, but we weren't see panty flashes, she wasn't grabbing boobs, etc. And I have to confess, I have a double standard: when the letch is a female, I am way more laid back about it than when it's a male.

Like I said there was small touches that really added to the humour. I loved the smug look that Hajime gave Aoba and Yun once she realized she just had to stand around and look cute rather than play tsundere maid or moe maid like they did. Momo-chan nonchalantly continuing to wear the maid outfit back at her work station also cracked me up.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Like I said there was small touches that really added to the humour. I loved the smug look that Hajime gave Aoba and Yun once she realized she just had to stand around and look cute rather than play tsundere maid or moe maid like they did. Momo-chan nonchalantly continuing to wear the maid outfit back at her work station also cracked me up.

I did like both of those things, to be fair.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Just to continue on with my previous post, I didn't feel that the girls were uncomfortable because they were being sexualized. I got the feeling they were uncomfortable because they consider wearing maid costumes - especially at work - to be dorky and embarrassing. If they had been groped or were embarrassed about being sexualized, I would not have enjoyed the scene. Characters being groped against their will - especially when the perpetrator doesn't stop - is a real pet peeve with me. It's why I couldn't get past the first five minutes of this season's -NTR-.

Last edited by Blood- on Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote
^Yeah, agreed. I will admit, that, as far as this trope goes, this was one of the better examples of it in action. The lack of groping elevated above most similar scenes. I would've rather not had the director bleeding all over the floor and getting super turned on about it all, but otherwise, it wasn't too bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3