• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Glitter Force Doki Doki' Listed for August 18 on Netflix

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Was not expecting this. I didn't think "Glitter Force" *shudders* did well enough on Netflix to justify going further with Precure.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Why call it "Glitter Force" again, anyway? They kept Doki Doki in the title, but they can't reuse Pretty Cure? The Doki Doki team doesn't even have a "glitter" theme.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
Why call it "Glitter Force" again, anyway? They kept Doki Doki in the title, but they can't reuse Pretty Cure? The Doki Doki team doesn't even have a "glitter" theme.

I was curious about this too. If they changed Precure/Pretty Cure to be more understandable for their English speaking target audience, why use "doki doki" for this title?? No one who isn't already an anime fan, or speaks Japanese, is going to know what the hell that means. Confused
Blankslate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:

The rights switched from Saban to Toei, so I'm guessing they will be a little more faithful to the original Japanese this time around. They probably kept the "Glitter Force" name for brand recognition.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
MajinAkuma wrote:

The rights switched from Saban to Toei, so I'm guessing they will be a little more faithful to the original Japanese this time around. They probably kept the "Glitter Force" name for brand recognition.

Hopefully that's the case.Otherwise it's gonna suck ass like most of the stuff that Saban touches(because skipping 8 episodes for something to stream on Netflix was SO smart,huh?)
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
MajinAkuma wrote:

Oh Toei's in charge now? I might actually get around to watching this then,
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I think the reason they're still keeping Glitter Force is that the company that dubbed the first Pretty Cure series probably still owns the rights to the title Pretty Cure...though they haven't done anything in years. So...yeah. Still, didn't think they'd actually dub Doki Doki. Well, here's hoping the dub tones down Mana's Mary Sue-ness. I do love the dub actresses involved, though! Very Happy
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
they can't even be bothered to bring over any of the good seasons,
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
...Oh dear. Okay, okay, I am ALL for Precure series getting an english dub, especially one where Stephanie Sheh is involved, but I pray they don't skip entire episodes and change the BGM again. If they'll just leave the overall series as is, I'm okay with it being called Glitter Force.

DokiDoki however is my least favorite Precure season... I'm still a bit salty over what they did to Smile Precure...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AtoMan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
MajinAkuma wrote:

It will be cut to death, so don't get your hopes up.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I think the reason they're still keeping Glitter Force is that the company that dubbed the first Pretty Cure series probably still owns the rights to the title Pretty Cure...though they haven't done anything in years. So...yeah.

The company behind the original series' dub was ... Toei. They're using the Glitter Force name because it has more cache than Pretty Cure in the US among the core demo. That's it.

Blankslate wrote:
MajinAkuma wrote:

I wouldn't expect any significant change in adaptation. The first batch of episodes were allegedly produced by Saban before they gave up on the franchise.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
they can't even be bothered to bring over any of the good seasons,

Thems fighting words. Makopi is second best girl in the entire franchise.
kyokun47

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Melissa Fahn!!!? I wanna see nep-nep as a magical girl now so badly omg
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:

I assume Saban finished dubbing this season of Glitter Force before the rights reverted back to Toei so I wouldn't expect any difference in quality.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
They probably kept the "Glitter Force" name for brand recognition.

Which I'd like to point is stupid as the Futari Wa dub, known as simply Pretty Cure, not only predates Glitter Force but is miles better in quality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3