• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Glitter Force Doki Doki' Listed for August 18 on Netflix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
So where's all those thousands of new anime fan converts everyone on ANN kept insisting we were going to get from Glitter Force? I remember a year ago everyone on ANN kept insisting Glitter Force needed to be heavily censored and Americanized to death to make it popular with American kids. We're here a year later and I'm not aware of Glitter Force being a big hit in the U.S. in spite of all the Americanization and it certainly hasn't lead to an increase in younger anime fans any.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Was not expecting this. I didn't think "Glitter Force" *shudders* did well enough on Netflix to justify going further with Precure.

It was pretty much indefinitely on the 'Currently Popular/'Now Trending' thing on the UK netflix. It's a bad dub, but it was popular with the kiddywinks as intended.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Glad its doing well. Want them to bring as many of the series as they can.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
The rights switched from Saban to Toei, so I'm guessing they will be a little more faithful to the original Japanese this time around.

I'm highly doubting it'll be more faithful. Glitter Force was a cut and paste hack job.
Set1229

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Don't care what anyone else says.

As long as it's entertaining to those with child-like minds (such as I) and it's cute and cheesy for my niece. It'll probably be just plain fun (for me).

The cheese factor is part of the fun.

I think I said this with the previous series, but it doesn't matter if a few episodes are cut, just watching for the innocent fun.

Though to be fair, some things should be left uncensored.

If my niece is seeing this, hope we can watch the superhero girls save the day, soon!
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:47 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
So where's all those thousands of new anime fan converts everyone on ANN kept insisting we were going to get from Glitter Force? I remember a year ago everyone on ANN kept insisting Glitter Force needed to be heavily censored and Americanized to death to make it popular with American kids. We're here a year later and I'm not aware of Glitter Force being a big hit in the U.S. in spite of all the Americanization and it certainly hasn't lead to an increase in younger anime fans any.

It might be a little too soon to know most of that. The fact that Netflix is streaming more means it's likely doing well enough for them, at least. And it'll be a few years, probably, before we see anyone who started out on this show touting it as the way they got into anime. Most of them are still really young kids.
For what it's worth, my 9 year old niece did watch this and LWA on Netflix(along with pretty much everything else targeting her age group on the service...). I dunno if she actually liked either of them, but she saw them!
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I thought this was part of a package deal for Saban, but it should be enough for us to consider why the rights have already reverted Toei. And it's been a year since since it came out and there's still zero merchandise or a DVD release and they've done little promoting for this even at anime cons.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Glitter Force Doki Doki *face palm*

I get that they're trying to make the title somewhat close to the Japanese title, but "Doki Doki" just isn't gonna make any sense to the vast majority of mass market audiences. They should've called it "Heart-pounding Glitter Force" or anything but "Glitter Force Doki Doki".
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And it's been a year since since it came out and there's still zero merchandise or a DVD release and they've done little promoting for this even at anime cons.

This is very true and wonder why they even bothered if they weren't even going push it.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
And it's been a year since since it came out and there's still zero merchandise or a DVD release and they've done little promoting for this even at anime cons.

The merchandising is a bit of a disappointment, but the core demo for this isn't interested in DVDs and doesn't go to cons (unless you count the occasional preschoolers who get brought by their parents).
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:35 am Reply with quote
I loved Glitter Force, not even kidding. It wasn't a faithful dub by any means but it was silly fun and it was well aware of how ridiculous it was. When I watch "real" Precure I even sometimes like to imagine how a Glitter Force dub of a particular season might go; I think there's definitely room to enjoy both and not feel too bad about it. Haven't seen Doki Doki yet and I know its reputation isn't the greatest, but I'm 100% going to watch the Glotter Force version.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Well, here's hoping the dub tones down Mana's Mary Sue-ness.

Leave my Mana alone!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what will become of "Glitter Force" after Saban finishes making their Americanized version of Doki Doki? Will they continue to pick up more PreCure titles despite Toei's revocation of the license?

Edit: Yes! 6200 posts!
Joshua Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
This is CWi all over again. Embarassed Crying or Very sad

I watched first six episodes but I had to stop because of the phone bill and problems with my DSL.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, while I understand the posts by the users here thinking that the subtitle doesn't fit...though yeah it would have been much better calling it...

Doki Doki Glitter Force (in contrast with "Doki Doki Pretty Cure" to match.)

But nope, things just do/don't work in mysterious ways. Either way, I'll check this out regardless since I've already seen the americanization of Smile! Precure fully. And yeah, we know, they're going to cut a number of eps, but for reasons unknown we don't know why. But we'll see how they're going to handle this one.

And while yes, the rights reverted back, hopefully after this, they'll continue on to it more faithfully. (But I really doubt that's the case.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3