• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Streams Food Wars! English Dub Clip

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:17 pm Reply with quote
^ What were you expecting? That's the whole point on commenting on an article about a dub clip preview... It's to react on how you felt about the preview provided in the article. What else would there be to comment on? No one is stating that you cannot like or dislike the clip provided, just giving individual opinions.
AmpedForAnime

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A few non-Japanese slang words and you're gonna dismiss the whole thing???

If it grows on me I'll keep watching. If it doesn't then I won't watch it. Why do you care?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Well let's get right to it.

dragonrider_cody wrote:

And honestly, I dread opening up these comments anytime a dub clip is posted. Everyone just needs to accept that not everyone agrees with their opinion and has different tastes. Not to mention, you can't judge the entirety of an English dub by a minute long clip, anymore than you can judge the quality of the show by the trailer. It's a little ridiculous, especially as it happens EVERY SINGLE TIME!

I find it hilarious how many users say this line while they are in fact judging someone else for having an opinion other than their own. You have your rant about people having different tastes (while not commenting on the actual topic) yet when a user provides a legitimate opinion, without any flamebait, on the clip provided you give them grief for their opinion. That's called hypocrisy. You also did not pay full attention to their actual post because no where in it did TasteyCookie say they were judging the entire series. They even mentioned remaining hopeful. Then you want to report them for egging people on and being trollish when they respond to your unprovoked harassment, and do so civilly I might add? Nice try. I think you should actually take your own advice and accept different people have different opinions.

And speaking of trollish....
angelmcazares wrote:

If you don't often watch dubs, what is the point of complaining about them? Just to troll?

I see we have another person who cherry picks what to respond to. TasteyCookie clearly said they do watch dubs, though not all the time. They also quite clearly answered your question about who they felt would be better off doing the dub. They even went so far as to praise Sentai over Funi when it comes to LE releases. Yet your response to them actually answering your question civilly is to suggest they are a troll? And now we're back to that hypocrisy problem.

I suggest both of you angelmcazares & dragonrider need to watch it. You're the ones actually being a problem in this thread and giving another user unnecessary grief for providing their opinions civilly.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:
I don't know if it's the clip chosen, I found everyone good except Soma...which is like god damn important to nail. Such a shame after they got the best VA for Bell. Hopefully it's one of those getting use to situation.

FUNIMATION still king of dubs.

Most of the roles sound okay, Soma is really bad though in my opinion and since he's the MC he's basically worth double points.

Pretty much. If I am to hear him 90% of the show, the voice has to click. And even rewatching the clip it's not fitting. It bugs me. Acing the MC is super important.

Todd Haberkorn has Natsu and Allen is like a match made in heaven for exemple.

Justin Briner has Izuku Midoriya is also a perfect casting.

Etc etc.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't replying to their critique of the anime. I very specifically responded to their claims about the close captions on Strike by informing the poster that the Sentai series on there don't use close captions for the on screen text, and they in fact on screen subtitles for them.

However, and I'm willing to risk getting banned or put on moderation for this, I have to say Psycho101 is the most unprofessional moderator I've ever encountered on an online forum. To not only insult posters in an extremely childish manner, in not only this thread, but many others, is ridiculous. Perhaps before you start criticizing others, you should look at yourself.

I get it that you're a moderator, and clearly that little bit of power has gone to your head, but that doesn't excuse your behavior. I've seen you do this time and time again in thread after thread afte thread. I understand that responding to reports is annoying, but attacking someone over reporting and publicly outing and insulting them is completely uncalled for.

Moderators like Psycho101 make this an extremely unwelcoming site, and probably why so many users have been moving other online forums like Reddit. I've just about given up on ANN altogether, which is truly a shame, because I feel that Justin, Zac, and many of the other admins and staff do an excellent job. But moderators like you give the entire place a bad name. You should truly be ashamed of yourself.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:

Pretty much. If I am to hear him 90% of the show, the voice has to click. And even rewatching the clip it's not fitting. It bugs me. Acing the MC is super important.

Todd Haberkorn has Natsu and Allen is like a match made in heaven for exemple.

Justin Briner has Izuku Midoriya is also a perfect casting.

Etc etc.

Yeah I think you're examples are great, this voice has two big issues for me.

First it's way, WAY, too deep for the tone and personality that Soma has. I'm not normally one to complain about voices in dubs not sounding their age, but this is eggregious, this is a teenager sounding like a grown man. In the examples you provided Todd and Justin make the effort to put on that youthful voice (Justin has it easy here since he's actually close to being a teenager still). The voice actor for Soma doesn't even feel like he's trying to sound 16ish.

The Second Issue, and this is mainly on me, I have with this voice that it's nothing like how I imagined Soma would sound in English. All dub fans have those dream casts in their head but they can usually grow to like changes that they don't expect and understand why a certain VA was used over another. I'm struggling to figure out what the director was thinking with this casting choice, it's not at all how I perceive that character. If I was casting based only on Sentai's talent pool I probably would have done Corey Hartzog who did Tatsumi in Akame ga Kill, or something more youthful. Corey is in this show too as the Blonde haired guy from Soma's dorm, he and Blake should be playing each others roles in this.

I'm sure Blake Shepard is a nice guy, I enjoyed him in Nanbaka, I've heard him in other stuff and he's fine, but he is Egregiously miscast here.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
What you quite clearly did was go on a rant about how people need to accept other people's opinions while rudely criticizing another user for having their own opinion. You also reported this user's post when they defended themselves (civilly) for being a troll and egging people on while you were the one egging them on and initiating the conversation with them. Both of those are pretty much text book definitions of hypocrisy.

What you see me do time and time again is clearly point out the behavior a user was displaying that violates the rules and is a problem. If we simply tell a user to be civil and behave then the user complains we're not explaining what they did wrong. When we do make it clear users, like yourself here, complain we're insulting them personally and abusing our power. Especially when they report another user but yet get admonished themselves for disruptive behavior. I actually at no point insulted you personally but you can believe whatever you want. What it seems to come down more often than not is users not liking the fact they are being admonished for their disruptive behavior, and being told that they have to behave. So they post something like this and claim people run away from the site because of them, they are power hungry, and generally call the mods horrible people. I've been here a long time pal and people have said the same things over the years about previous mods as well such as Nagisa, Selenta, or abunai for example. Yet the site keeps growing. And if Zac or Tempest thought a mod, any mod, was doing a bad job in whatever fashion they would not hesitate to tell us.

For the record we mods do discuss matters and another moderator already saw your report, my actions, and agreed with the warning. Now if you have such a problem with me or my admonishment towards you then by all means PM Zac or Tempest about it. Won't bother me one bit. However this is dragging this thread OT so that ends this discussion in this thread.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
You guys are judging an entire performance based on a single trolling scene? A better gauge of Shepard's performance in character would have been the speech he gave in episode 1 as this scene is not very helpful.

As for what I imagined Soma would sound like in English, I expected something a little deeper, not a voice of age but one of attitude and certainty. But again, this is a trolling scene and his delivery is a little... and properly... lilting. But far be it from me to judge not only a 24 episode series but an entire dubbing company based on a minute and a half out of context clip.

Quote:
You also did not pay full attention to their actual post because no where in it did TasteyCookie say they were judging the entire series.

Posts, plural. If they're judging the entire company, do they really have to point out it includes this series as well? And yeah, "dreading Sentai getting season 3" seems like a sentence of execution was already issued for season 1 and 2.

Also... I like the Girls Und Panzer dub. There are bad dubs out there... if you mentioned Guin Saga then I could say "They tried doing a Ghost Stories style gag dub without any jokes and failed, miserably"... but there's just too much fun to be had in the GuP delivery.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Didn't these characters get drunk off of "rice juice" half the night in that scene? And if I recall correctly, the black-haired one with the sideburns and the blonde guy are always throwing shade at each other for like... no reason at all.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Yeah I think you're examples are great, this voice has two big issues for me.

First it's way, WAY, too deep for the tone and personality that Soma has. I'm not normally one to complain about voices in dubs not sounding their age, but this is eggregious, this is a teenager sounding like a grown man. In the examples you provided Todd and Justin make the effort to put on that youthful voice (Justin has it easy here since he's actually close to being a teenager still). The voice actor for Soma doesn't even feel like he's trying to sound 16ish.

The Second Issue, and this is mainly on me, I have with this voice that it's nothing like how I imagined Soma would sound in English. All dub fans have those dream casts in their head but they can usually grow to like changes that they don't expect and understand why a certain VA was used over another. I'm struggling to figure out what the director was thinking with this casting choice, it's not at all how I perceive that character. If I was casting based only on Sentai's talent pool I probably would have done Corey Hartzog who did Tatsumi in Akame ga Kill, or something more youthful. Corey is in this show too as the Blonde haired guy from Soma's dorm, he and Blake should be playing each others roles in this.

I'm sure Blake Shepard is a nice guy, I enjoyed him in Nanbaka, I've heard him in other stuff and he's fine, but he is Egregiously miscast here.

You make ton of great points which I completely agree with. But yea for the first point the deepness of the voice is the big problem for me too. Soma had this cocky *juvenile* tone to him and it's completely lost here. Like you said he sound way too old. And it's not like they rushed the job or anything. How long has it been since season 1? 2 or 3 years? so I am having quite a hard time figuring that weird casting choice.

I'm hoping this is just one of those bad casting choice and that they won't mess up the Haikyu casting. Don't they dare cast a deep voice for Hinata lol.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I love Sentai's dubs and I love the ridiculous haters that come along with them! Sentai has always been so underrated!
ETX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:12 am Reply with quote
Whatever happened to people watching anime for enjoyment? These days when it comes to anime, and more particular dubbed anime, it always has to turn into a "Who can detest it more" debate.

I watch anime for fun, I enjoy it. I watch both dubbed and subbed anime equally, with no bias for either one. If I don't think a dub isn't that good, I either move along or give it a few more episodes before I drop and swap to the sub.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:59 am Reply with quote
Um, I think I'm going to need to see more clips. The overuse of "Bro" makes me want to beat my head against the wall for context.
Levonr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:46 am Reply with quote
One "bro" and everyone freaks out Laughing

I can never judge based on a few random quick clips but I look forward to watching the show.
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:59 am Reply with quote
Sounds fine to me. Sentai usually are hit and miss though this seems like it'll be a perfectly solid dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3