• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fairy Tail TV Anime Gets 'Final Season' in 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Without going into specifics from the manga, I'll just say that FT, for me anyway, has lost its magic. It started really well, and remained pretty decent even though the Magic Games arc, but after that... it became increasingly uninspired. The last arc has been... lackluster. I can't help but feel that the mangaka just wanted to get it over with and move on to something new.

As for the anime... I'll probably check it out, but I won't be waiting with baited breath for it to start.

I hope that whatever Mashima moves on to next, he is able to regain his enthusiasm and focus.
mooseV01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
jaykayjk10 wrote:
Ikr. Hoping to God that's sarcasm.

You can hope all you want. According to HumbleBundle, 15,696 people took advantage of the 40+ volume Fairy Tail deal and bought into the series this past month. A lot of us did so due to the strength of these past few arcs. We're putting our money where our mouth is.

I'm sure about that.

The oh so strong writing, and NOT the shallow fights and fanservice that intrigues you so. Laughing
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
jaykayjk10 wrote:
Ikr. Hoping to God that's sarcasm.

You can hope all you want. According to HumbleBundle, 15,696 people took advantage of the 40+ volume Fairy Tail deal and bought into the series this past month. A lot of us did so due to the strength of these past few arcs. We're putting our money where our mouth is.

Sorry, but I don't think sales or popularity = quality like you're implying. Also funny to see you mention the low American sales instead of the Japanese ones.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why they still insist Zero is a separate series from the 2014 anime... Aaaanyway, I'm super hyped for this! I'm starting to miss the show so I was thinking of rewatching it sometime soon. Good time do so it seems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
mooseV01 wrote:
The oh so strong writing, and NOT the shallow fights and fanservice that intrigues you so. Laughing

Laughing As someone who refuses to spend any money on Madoka because I think it has too much fanservice, trust me when I say that Fairy Tail's fanservice doesn't factor into my enjoyment of the series at all.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:

You can't pick apart an opinion. It's their opinion, they don't have to agree with you.

Just because they don't agree with me, doesn't make what they said any less false. If they have the right to an opinion, I have a right to debate that opinion, but I'm saying nothing further on the matter because that's not what the thread is about.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
Sorry, but I don't think sales or popularity = quality like you're implying.

I think you need to stop making assumptions about what I'm "implying", Thorfinn. I was addressing the charge that people who like the series are being "sarcastic"... the actual cash that people spend on the series (and you're wrong that 15k consumers during a limited-run charity event is a "low" number) indicates that that is far from the case. Keep discussions of "popularity" out of it, and stop putting words in my mouth. Thank you.

Furthermore, the idea that "quality" even factors into the discussion of whether people enjoy a series is extremely snobbish.

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
mooseV01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
Sorry, but I don't think sales or popularity = quality like you're implying.

I think you need to stop making assumptions about what I'm "implying", Thorfinn. I was addressing the charge that people who like the series are being "sarcastic"... furthermore, the idea that "quality" even factors into the discussion of whether people enjoy a series is extremely snobbish.

The quote saying "it has one of the best endings EVAR!!!" is extremely laughable and needed to be stated as so.

Because if you honestly think FT has a good ending.... then dear lord.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
mooseV01 wrote:
The quote saying "it has one of the best endings EVAR!!!" is extremely laughable and needed to be stated as so.

I agree, it's pretty funny that they mis-spelled the word "evar"! It's important to take joy in the little wonders of everyday life!

...after laughing about it, though, maybe consider whether finding humor in other people's opinions - and deciding that your own opinion is so important that it "needs to be stated" - makes you into the thing that people find humorous.
mooseV01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
mooseV01 wrote:

I agree, it's pretty funny that they mis-spelled the word "evar"! It's important to take joy in the little wonders of everyday life!

Smh, I meant that they honestly think FT has a good ending and conclusion.

Which makes me believe they're standards aren't too high. Or rather, they have no standards at all. I mean, how could you if you think FT's conclusion is any good?

Anyway, enjoy your mediocre manga/anime and your delusions that it's anything other than straight trash. And once it's done, go get better tastes - read One Piece.

Peace!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Alright the bickering can stop now. People actually ARE entitled to have their own opinions without being harassed. Whether they like the show or not. You in particular mooseV01 need to understand that. You are coming close to flat out harassing people for enjoying the show. Now I suggest everyone actually post civilly and if you have nothing beneficial to add to the discussion then just ignore it and move on.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why I even bother going into any thread about Fairy Tail anymore.

The circlejerk around this show has gotten so extreme that you can't find any decent discussions that isn't "LUL Friendship Win!" or "LUL but no one dies though." as if these two things are somehow make or breaks for a series. This latter one is actually kinda funny cause it still has more supporting character deaths than One Piece, the supposed greatest Shounen ever.

I just wish once in a blue moon I could go into a chapter discussion or a news discussion and see people honestly talk about the series positives, or just not act like FT is the worst thing ever made.

You don't have to redefine your genre to be a good series, you can follow most of the formula, you can have happy endings, killing for the sake of killing and shock value doesn't need to be there.

I just wish once in a while people would acknowledge and accept Fairy Tail is what is has been for it's whole run, a story about friendship and happy endings.

I for one am looking forward to more animated scenes as well as seeing some of the cool new villains get animated and voiced.

{Edit: Since going by the time stamp you were obviously typing your post as I made my warning I will let this slide this time. However, for future reference going into a thread and simply going on about how the conversations always go a certain way and complaining does not add anything to the discussion either. ~ Psycho 101}
mooseV01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Alright the bickering can stop now. People actually ARE entitled to have their own opinions without being harassed. Whether they like the show or not. You in particular mooseV01 need to understand that. You are coming close to flat out harassing people for enjoying the show. Now I suggest everyone actually post civilly and if you have nothing beneficial to add to the discussion then just ignore it and move on.

Yes yes. I know that ANN is a yes-chamber full of people who can't take blunt statements. I will now be quiet so I don't get charged for the crime of "hurting of feelings". Laughing

One Piece also never teased deaths as much as FT, and went through with two pretty important ones and did it very well, which is why it doesn't get crapped on like FT. Not to mention it's normally a much more tightly written series than the umbled mess that is FT.

Like I said, there's a reason for everything. The criticism that FT normally gets is well within reason. I'll leave it at that before I get censored to death.

Anyway, I'm betting this will be a very short season and that they'll just abridge everything into 24 episodes.

Last edited by mooseV01 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
It's called being civil and not acting like a rude ass to other users. It's actually rather simple and rule #1 here. There is a difference between criticizing a show and attacking it's fan and harassing them. Or vice versa. If you can't debate a topic without falling back to being rude and attacking/harassing other users then just don't post.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I forget--what's Hiro Mashima planning on doing again? He seems to be such a busy author. I know the manga itself has ended, and I don't know what the level of supervision he has over this show (but the fact that he himself announced it was continuing suggests at least some level of privy to the show), but he comes across as something of a workaholic, someone who gets antsy if he isn't working on anything at the moment.

Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
*still waiting on Bleach to get a "final season"*

If they do some serious compression, it can actually work, if you ask me. The biggest thing that brought down the final arc of Bleach was Kubo's dragging it out for as long as he could. If they do, like, 7 or 8 chapters to an episode, it can be rather fun to watch.

CyberLance wrote:
Yea i was really worried that the anime was not going to get finished and that it was going to suffer the same fate as the Bleach anime.
Im extremely happy that did not happen. Smile

Well, then there are us fans of Hunter X Hunter. (Though that's not the fault of any of the companies that made either of the anime series.)

Snakebit1995 wrote:
I just wish once in a blue moon I could go into a chapter discussion or a news discussion and see people honestly talk about the series positives, or just not act like FT is the worst thing ever made.

Does this happen a lot with Fairy Tail discussions on the Internet? And if so, does it often come from One Piece fans (like what this seems to have become)? If so, I apologize on behalf of all One Piece fans for making being a Fairy Tail fan difficult.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5