• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Ancient Magus' Bride (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Except there is an official translation, and I don't see it changing unless they decide to rename the series "The Ancient Sorcerer's Bride". You just have to accept that "magus" and "magic" refers to what Elias does, and sorcerer has been decided for the science side approach. Correcting me on what the Japanese language is technically doing is moot at this point.

The "official translation" your're talking about isn't even consistent between the animated adaptation and the translated print version. As Dessa and others have pointed out repeatedly, Elias and Angelica are referred to as "alchemists" in the print version despite what the title says.

I disagree with the English terms used and see no point in debating this further since other users have already made up their minds based on what the subtitles had to say. So I'll just stick to "Elias and Friends Magic" and "Other Magic" when referring to the two. Since the series only needed to establish the difference between the two branches earlier on, I doubt I'll need to talk more about it since the "Sorcerers" with their science-based tricks don't look like they're going to feature much in this series anyway.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Rather than call other people as being stubborn in having made up their minds, aren't you the one is being a little so. I can come up with a few reasoning things may have been done. Maybe they want to blanket natural magical stuff as magic, that fairies and the like are magic, so those who use them for their magic, the main characters, themselves use magic. And wanted a separate word for magic for a magical science, and sorcery and sorcerer is the choice.

Arguing over what a specific historical definition of words like magic (magus/magi), sorcery, alchemy, wizardry, witchcraft, druidic, or whatever, honestly is not that important. I have done some fantasy writing myself, where I came up with some interesting ideas for different types of magic for my setting, possibly borrowing words that do not entirely fit the historical definition. But it is fiction, and as long as it can differentiate in the setting it is fine.

And it does not matter what translation the printed version has, this is the anime discussion, I am using the official definition, sure you can use your own fan translation just don't try to correct us using the official English anime translation. You are also welcome to use the original Japanese words if you want to be so pure, but I might recommend to do it in romaji because most of us do not understand the harder symbols.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Rather than call other people as being stubborn in having made up their minds, aren't you the one is being a little so. I can come up with a few reasoning things may have been done. Maybe they want to blanket natural magical stuff as magic, that fairies and the like are magic, so those who use them for their magic, the main characters, themselves use magic. And wanted a separate word for magic for a magical science, and sorcery and sorcerer is the choice.

Arguing over what a specific historical definition of words like magic (magus/magi), sorcery, alchemy, wizardry, witchcraft, druidic, or whatever, honestly is not that important. I have done some fantasy writing myself, where I came up with some interesting ideas for different types of magic for my setting, possibly borrowing words that do not entirely fit the historical definition. But it is fiction, and as long as it can differentiate in the setting it is fine.

And it does not matter what translation the printed version has, this is the anime discussion, I am using the official definition, sure you can use your own fan translation just don't try to correct us using the official English anime translation. You are also welcome to use the original Japanese words if you want to be so pure, but I might recommend to do it in romaji because most of us do not understand the harder symbols.

Noted. The part in bold also applies to the other person who complained about the animated adaptation's terminology not matching with his beloved translated print version.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:17 am Reply with quote
@ Harleyquin: your conflation of what Dessa wrote with the point that DP made to you is 745.324% incorrect. Dessa was being relevant when she noted (correctly) that some English-speakers would find TAMB's distinction between magic and sorcery confusing given those words general useage in English. She cited the English language manga's use of alchemist as an example a word less likely to confuse. That opinion can be debated, but what can't be debated is that at least the point was relevant to the discussion of the English language adaptation of TAMB anime which is the subject of this thread.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote

My first impression of the Dragons in this franchise was a cross between the dinosaurs of old and the rhinos of today (especially the Uil species). Unlike humans, they have completely different patterns of thought and approach living very differently.

Another of Ainsworth's brethren this week. Going by his nickname, his speciality is probably something to do with sound although viewers are not privy to it.

Very charming dream sequence involving Nevin and Chise. The latter's extremely traumatic childhood must have stunted or warped her emotional responses since she appears to be numb to the rare experience she was privileged to witness. I thought the last comment was quite instructive, how Nevin was like a random stranger who whimsically decided to show her kindness without asking for anything in return.

Going by next week's trailer, it seems the pattern of the show is to slowly reveal more of the very detailed universe this series has set itself up with whilst introducing new characters along the way. Considering he's supposed to be her teacher, Ainsworth really hasn't been doing much in terms of education which Lindel has pointed out. For all his inexperience in dealing with humans, it looks like he's not brushing aside Lindel's warning that Chise needs to learn how to control her powers soon or she'll be overwhelmed by her innate abilities.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Yay, everyone is finally caught up with me!

And Nevin's final flight was everything I'd wanted from it.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I actually found Nevin's final flight to be underwhelming. I've seen awe-inspiring presentations of the world in different perspectives in anime before, and this was kind of... meh. Too much of the time was spent in too-long camera shots of Chise's face.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
My first impression of the Dragons in this franchise was a cross between the dinosaurs of old and the rhinos of today (especially the Uil species).

Somebody on Crunchyroll likened them to the dinosaurs in The Land Before Time. I can see the resemblance.

I was waiting for more motion in the flight sequence myself, but it hardly mattered in the midst of a lovely, meditative episode. I worried at the outset that the mages would fight over Chise and was glad to see that the story did not take that turn.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Aw, Chise playing with the hatchlings was adorable. I'm a little confused over what Elias's mission was, though. It seems he was there to check out some restive dragons, but if he actually did anything other than hobknob with the Caretaker, I don't think we know what it was. Chise's encounter with Nevin was melancholy because it is clear she was envying his peaceful passing and the fact that dragons lead such full lives that when they die, they have no regrets. Don't worry, little Chise! Things are looking up now that you have a bone-faced mentor/fiance.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:59 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Aw, Chise playing with the hatchlings was adorable. I'm a little confused over what Elias's mission was, though. It seems he was there to check out some restive dragons, but if he actually did anything other than hobknob with the Caretaker, I don't think we know what it was. Chise's encounter with Nevin was melancholy because it is clear she was envying his peaceful passing and the fact that dragons lead such full lives that when they die, they have no regrets. Don't worry, little Chise! Things are looking up now that you have a bone-faced mentor/fiance.

He asked Echos if there was trouble with the Dragons and got the reply that food is scarce forcing many of them to venture further away from their traditional foraging grounds. This in addition to more dragons like Nevin passing on means he has something to report to the Church. Don't know if that's going to pass muster, but at least he can claim to have done the legwork(?) and obtained information.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:22 am Reply with quote
Well I thought that it was a beautiful episode. Chise meeting things she was not familiar with, and getting some insight on perhaps mortality. She was perhaps getting a little eager for her own end, but she is still young and has a long road ahead of her. Don't be too eager, but also don't fear the reaper in the end.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:58 am Reply with quote
Just dropping in to say that I need this show's sound track. It's my bread 'n butter--like, holy fudge! Combined with the tone and visuals, it's especially perfect!

I might offer more thoughts later, but I will say that I tried this on a whim after deciding earlier that I just wasn't as inclined to delve in to new anime lately (besides the forthcoming Violet Evergarden), and wasn't disappointed in the slightest.

Outstanding!
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote

First multi-episode story arc of this adaptation. First thing that came to mind was the Edgar Allan Poe story about the King of the Cats, although this one seems to be a less morbid version of that tale.

It looks like Elias is keeping his word to the Church by doing the rounds as he was tasked. While he's at it he brings Chise along as a part of her apprenticeship cum honeymoon.

For the first time this series there is opposition depicted between the two branches of magic described in the first episode. Elias and friends might be a dying breed, but they are still sought after for help by those who know them whereas the other branch is hated by those who despise their interference and meddling. I'm not sure all specimens of the non-Elias branch of magic are like Renfield, but it's clear those who know Elias in that profession have no love for him or his ilk.

It's clear the sludge is the man who was torn apart by the cats led by the first Regnant, but why is his wife in the lake with him? I suppose the answer to that will be aired next week.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that was an amazing episode. I've been really enjoying this show so far, but this episode kicked my enthusiasm into a higher gear. The visuals were stunning and the story incredibly interesting. I can't get enough of this world.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:36 am Reply with quote
Even though I've never had cats or anything, I'll say that the animation really accurately and beautifully captured the way cats move.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13