• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Saiyuki Reload Blast (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Ah things are not looking good for our heroes. But I gotta wonder why Nataku is wasting time on small fry demons when his mission is to go after Gyumaoh. Was this the closest parking to Houtou Castle he could find? Anyway, I fully expect a merging of the scrolls' powers to defeat him, since they already foreshadowed that with a club.

I don't care how it turns out really, I'm just enjoying all the lovely portraiture of the cast in lieu of action. They've really outdone themselves on making this pretty. And all the character quirks and squabbles are comfortably nostalgic, so that's fun too, even though it's all pointless and filler as far as the plot goes. Go Hakuryuu! Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

Well, I'm kinda disappointed that they didn't do the combo move, but at least they applied the Goku reset. Smile Not as dramatic as I would've liked that to be though. Oh well.

Despite all the loose ends left dangling (in addition to the expected ones), it was fun while it lasted, and hopefully there was enough interest that they'll do some more. Always up for more silly Saiyuki goodness.

Purple stripes, smh... Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:43 am Reply with quote
(finale)

Well, not the usual way to review a series, but mine will be as someone who only watched these 12 episodes, and not what looks like two double length seasons from looking at the encyclopaedia were from the early 2000s. And it is going to probably be a negative one. I would say that it properly introduced these characters, properly set out personalities and the like, but it kind of had an uphill battle to have me care about them, some of their last interactions here had them smoking cigarettes and trying to shoot each other with it being played as a joke.

I still say that the flashback arc was really weirdly done as if coming out of nowhere, and even if it did turn out kind of relevant in the end, I think it was still poorly implemented. It kind of stunted the flow the season was going with, that I kind of wonder if they should have put it earlier in the show before starting what felt like any major arcs, like have an introductory episode for noobies like me, and transition into the flashback arc instead of it just happening in the middle. It maybe would have given weight of closing arc with the last episode, which otherwise feels like it did not have much progression as a season, and I was already not really caring early on, when if my impression was that arc I think it would have worked better.

And the creating faceless goons of demons to be messily gunned down (although when they do die their bodies just kind of disappear from the screen) feels kind of in poor taste. Even if the last arc kind of made things better of showing non bad demons and how they can stay that way. It just kind of felt like a power fantasy that made me uncomfortable, like seeing adults run around and throw boulders toddlers, even if we see those toddlers do bad things. Maybe these things worked better for someone familiar with the rest of the series, but as a new person it just poorly implemented.

Maybe I am just not the type to get excited by seeing "cute" guys acting out the grumpy one, the kid one, the hot headed one, and the cool headed one. I don't really have any real interest of watching any more of this show, so I can knock off for myself in watching it after I think I saw some shots in a music video or something. I give a rating of So-so (5/10), I did not really grab my attention.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:05 am Reply with quote
You can't really blame the series for not properly explaining the smoking and their... violent... relationships with each other, when you're expected to have watched the previous 100 episodes, 7 OAV episodes, and movie. This was never a series intended for newbies to the franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2