• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Licenses the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:01 am Reply with quote
Shocked

I knew Kadokawa is involved, but I didn't expect Bandai to be in it as well. I wonder if were getting a Bang Zoom! dub cast. Rolling Eyes
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:02 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
But how exactly is it incorrect? It is correct to say that Bandai acquired rights to the series, and the video was definitely emphasizing that point what with the huge banner and all...

Go compare the licensing companies of FMP! and FMP! TSR.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:05 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

As in to each other, or to Haruhi? Haruhi's encyclopedia entry lists Bandai under distributer, at least...
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:06 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
dormcat wrote:

As in to each other, or to Haruhi?

To each other. As I said before, SHnY's licensing pattern is identical to FMP! TSR, not FMP! (or most other anime titles).

ACDragonMaster wrote:
Haruhi's encyclopedia entry lists Bandai under distributer, at least...

Because I added it myself.

Last edited by dormcat on Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:07 am Reply with quote
So... Kadokawa will be doing all the dub work "in house" and Bandai will just be doing the selling?

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:13 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Espeon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:08 am Reply with quote
That Episode 00 was terrible it made me wanna cry.

Though i'm happy to see it being licensed by someone who isnt ADV or Funimation .. though them getting it wouldnt of made much aof a difference as long as it came out.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:13 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
To each other. As I said before, SHnY's licensing pattern is identical to FMP! TSR, not FMP! (or most other anime titles).

Ah. Your wording was a little ambiguous, and it's 5 am here. Anime smile;;

Quote:
ACDragonMaster wrote:
Haruhi's encyclopedia entry lists Bandai under distributer, at least...

Because I added it myself.

Well! I suppose the news article just needs to be edited for clarification, then.

Last edited by ACDragonMaster on Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Nebs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:13 am Reply with quote
Espeon wrote:
That Episode 00 was terrible it made me wanna cry.

Your obviously not a fan of the series, then. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:17 am Reply with quote
Yes, that announcement was precisely within the spirit of the series.

I loved it.

Just hope Bandai does it justice, since they aren't known for being good about Extras. But I'll buy it regardless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:21 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I loved it.

Just hope Bandai does it justice, since they aren't known for being good about Extras. But I'll buy it regardless.

Hey - maybe we'll get some SOS Brigade pencil sharpners to make up for bad subtitles and missing OP and ED themes!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:31 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Key wrote:

I loved it.

Hey - maybe we'll get some SOS Brigade pencil sharpners to make up for bad subtitles and missing OP and ED themes!

First of all, considering the stunt already pulled for making this announcement, I don't think they're gonna skimp on features. Because Kadokawa will probably insist on proper treatment of the series.

Secondly, sheesh, why don't you just go and import the R2s and then you don't have to worry about it?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:35 am Reply with quote
I guess that Gundam parody on YouTube is even more appropriate, now that Bandai has the rights to both shows. I wonder if there'll be a cross-over. Laughing
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:00 am Reply with quote
Well, now I don't have to go around whining about ADV handling all the referencial humor in the series. Laughing I hate to say it, but from what I've seen they gloss over what they can't overly simplify and their liner notes & VidNotes need a lot mroe fact-checking and editing work done to them than what's being done now, and I've been sorely disappointed in ADV's handling of referencial comedies.

I'm kinda happy another company got one of the "Big Ones" of the genre.

And assuming Bandai gives this title the same extreme care & attention they gave Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex & Eureka Seven (and don't slack off as with Mai-HiME and everything Gundam since Zeta), we're in for one helluva release. The website leads me to believe they'll be going that extra mile. Smile

Last edited by Nagisa on Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
robtf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:05 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Just the opposite; I was saying that your transcription was correct, but the front page news isn't.

But how exactly is it incorrect? It is correct to say that Bandai acquired rights to the series, and the video was definitely emphasizing that point what with the huge banner and all...

Bandai don't have the rights to the series.
They the rights to DISTRIBUTE the series. That's a mightily big difference.
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:34 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Well, now I don't have to go around whining about ADV handling all the referencial humor in the series.

It's a little early to say that. We don't know for sure that Kadokawa USA isn't going to contract someone else for the production in addition to the distribution. Kadokawa really is taking an interesting approach by creating a U.S. branch of itself so it can retain the rights and then contracting other U.S. companies to do the grunt work. I can't help but wonder if this may be more common in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11