• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Licenses the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:37 am Reply with quote
I didn't care who got it I am just happy it's licensed. It was always a garunteed buy for me.
W-General

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:06 am Reply with quote
I am mildly amused by the video, but I am not really accustomed to hearing Haruhi in English so I didn't really watch it - mostly just skipped around (but I highly approve of Yuki and Mikuru)

I took a look at Kyon's myspace. It looks pretty cool, one thought though:
Someone should suggest to Bandai / Kadokawa USA to make a Kyon profile on Facebook. I don't face myspace but I do have facebook...I wanna friend Kyon Anime hyper

Anyway, can't wait for this to come out on DVD.
Kadokawa did awesome job with FMP TSR, so I expect Haruhi to be double as good.
Stullz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:49 am Reply with quote
Bandai huh... We better good packaging and features (kinda like eureka 7 w/t-shirt,manga,OST) A nice bonus would be excellent. Though recently as someone else mentioned, Bandai has been skimpy on that stuff lately Mai(My) HiME for example, decent dub, poor packaging, no liner notes.(Same with Gundam SEED Destiny(except for it having a good dub in comparison) That was why I wanted funi for distribution. Look at al the Gonzo stuff they're doing, (Speed Grapher Basilisk, Trinity Blood) all of those have great packaging and a decent amount of features, and their release of FMP TSR was extremely well done as well. I hope Bandai turns this one up a notch.

And to those who mentioned the 'grunt work' shame on you, the marketing and distribution of an anime is a cool process, I mean look at the cool boxes art and bonuses that many companies will do to make the series shine just a bit more. Or maybe I just like design grunt work myself...
EDIT:
And BTW the http://sos-dan.com site still points to the original Haruhi announcement page.
nadesico81

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:56 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the serries is going to be Licenced in Eroupe? I got to hand it to Bandai and Anime On DVD.com for its sucess of a good Viral Marketing site. They created alot of buzz but it would of been cool if they announced it a convention.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EmeraldTheMaster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:00 am Reply with quote
I don't like the Pink Ranger's voice for Haruhi- It's too low, and nearly perky enough.
Though it must be hard to replace Aya Hirano

If they replace, or screw up the opening and ending things, or even if they cencsor this, I will hate Kadokawa USA forever. This anime cannot be ruined

Gripings aside, I'm so happy this is getting licenced! Anime smile
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:04 am Reply with quote
DELETED. UGH.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:07 am Reply with quote
EmeraldTheMaster wrote:
I don't like the Pink Ranger's voice for Haruhi- It's too low, and nearly perky enough.
Though it must be hard to replace Aya Hirano

If they replace, or screw up the opening and ending things, or even if they cencsor this, I will hate Kadokawa USA forever. This anime cannot be ruined

Gripings aside, I'm so happy this is getting licenced! Anime smile

Her voice does match Aya's "God Knows..." singing voice, though. Plus I don't think there is an American VA that can match Aya's perkiness. And I've never heard of an anime being "censored" for DVD release (except for 4Kids crap). As for the OP & ED, Kadokawa knows we love "Hare Hare Yukai." In fact I wouldn't be too surprised if one of the bonuses is a learn-to-dance video. Anime smile

I think US distributors have gotten out of the habit of redubbing songs, too. Not even FUNimation does it anymore. So I don't think we need to worry about an American "Lost My Music."

Last edited by omnistry on Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:16 am; edited 2 times in total
bci110

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:12 am Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
The woman cosplaying as Haruhi isn't really voicing her in the dub, right? I watched to a bit of the video, but I began to get irritated and turned it off. I really dislike the idea of having that voice as Haruhi. A LOT. Enough to almost want the person who played Nami in 4Kid's One Piece to play her instead. I think I'm going to be disappointed.

If the person you're talking about is indeed Patricia Lee, then it looks like that the English dub will be handled by Animaze and be a unionized dub.
Stullz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:12 am Reply with quote
according to the ANN page under English cast Quote:Patricia Lee as Haruhi Suzumiya /QUOTE

I haven't watched the video yet and probably wont until I get home to watch it without worrying about being at work lol.

edit:
to the person mentioning redubbing of songs.
funi redubbed Burst Angel and Desert Punk, those are recent.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:26 am Reply with quote
Stullz wrote:
according to the ANN page under English cast Quote:Patricia Lee as Haruhi Suzumiya /QUOTE

I don't know why someone did that. I seriously doubt she'll be doing the English dubbed voice of Haruhi. We probably have to wait until the official cast list comes.
Stullz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:29 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Stullz wrote:

I don't know why someone did that. I seriously doubt she'll be doing the English dubbed voice of Haruhi. We probably have to wait until the official cast list comes.

very true, but you never know. I hope we get an official list soon.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:33 am Reply with quote
robtf wrote:
Bandai don't have the rights to the series.
They the rights to DISTRIBUTE the series. That's a mightily big difference.

Kadokawa owns the rights, and Bandai will produce / distribute. All the work will be done by Bandai.

This is very similar to the billion series out there that are licensed through Enoki Films, (His & Her Circumstances, Demon Lord Dante, Ikki Tousen, etc... )

FMP!TSR is a very special circumstance because Kadokawa chose different companies for production & distribution.

Regardless, the news item is incorrect, I'll add an addendum immediately at noon after I can double check a detail with Bandai Entertainment.

-t
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:36 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Stullz wrote:

An user submitted that piece of information without trustworthy source and/or explanation. I've locked the submission temporarily to prevent further speculations and false information until an official English staff / cast list is available.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:38 am Reply with quote
DELETED. Shut up, me.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:40 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
An user submitted that piece of information without trustworthy source and/or explanation. I've locked the submission temporarily to prevent further speculations and false information until an official English staff / cast list is available.

I'll double check that info when I call Bandai.

BTW, that Episode 00 was filmed at the Bandai America building and the narrator is Sam Maseba of Bandai Entertainment.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11