• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - It's Time to Pay the Price

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Although! I can tell you what I'd like to see happen. I'd like to see these companies perhaps take some of their titles to territories that are, quite frankly, underserved, like Europe and Australia. You know, untapped markets that don't have the ubiquitous reach and panache of a Funimation on their side. That would be pretty cool, I think.

*nods furiously in agreement*

Quote:
Too bad it probably won't happen. Oh well. It's nice to want things.

*sighs and agrees* At least Siren is trying (although at their panel at Supanova they did say the interest so far hasn't been so great...)

I own Girl Got Game and laughed when I found out it was originally called Power!! And I've never had any trouble pronouncing Utawarerumono.

I don't mind spoilers when they are really really vague like along the lines of 'this character does something epic later on' or 'in a couple of volumes your opinion of this character will change'. But I absolutely hate anything that spoils plotlines or major character revelations.
Cadmium

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:15 am Reply with quote
ss-hikaru wrote:
Quote:
Although! I can tell you what I'd like to see happen. I'd like to see these companies perhaps take some of their titles to territories that are, quite frankly, underserved, like Europe and Australia. You know, untapped markets that don't have the ubiquitous reach and panache of a Funimation on their side. That would be pretty cool, I think.

*nods furiously in agreement*

As a Dutch anime fan, I coudn't agree more.

ss-hikaru wrote:
Quote:
Too bad it probably won't happen. Oh well. It's nice to want things.

*sighs and agrees*

The problem here in Europe seems to be that 'Europe' isn't a market. The French for instance, do have simulcasts of recent shows. Even if it was possible for a company to licence stuff for Europe as a whole, you'd still have the problem of having to translate a show into about 27 different languages. So it'll never happen Crying or Very sad .
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:22 am Reply with quote
ss-hikaru wrote:

*sighs and agrees* At least Siren is trying (although at their panel at Supanova they did say the interest so far hasn't been so great...)

Siren would get a decent amount of more sales if they offered international shipping. There is nothing more frustrating for me than knowing that I could own English language subtitled DVDs of Kaiba, Mind Game, and Tatami Galaxy if Siren would just allow international shipping.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:47 am Reply with quote
Chaos.com has everything you're looking for, and they ship internationally.

Kabia

Mind Game

Tatami Galaxy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 am Reply with quote
Anime is becoming more of a commodity and less a luxury item that one must own.

It's like something you can just watch on TV. You can be a fan of a TV show and yet not buy its DVDs.

So it'll be with simulcasting and home videos. Most fans will just watch the simulcast or Netflix, then move on to the next one. Then either release a bare-bones DVD set for the cheapskates or a premium set for the collectors, depending on the circumstances about the show.

Just like watching TV. (How many Lost fans do you think bought the DVDs?) Laughing
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:02 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
ss-hikaru wrote:

Siren would get a decent amount of more sales if they offered international shipping. There is nothing more frustrating for me than knowing that I could own English language subtitled DVDs of Kaiba, Mind Game, and Tatami Galaxy if Siren would just allow international shipping.

I was referring more to the apparent acceptance of streaming by Australians, but I thought Siren DID offer international shipping? http://www.sirenvisual.com.au/Content/FAQs.php In this FAQ they outline how they calculate shipping charges for international orders. I hope that helped, I think it's great that Siren picks up titles that R1 companies don't. I don't think the Australian anime market should be a submarket of the R1 industry, so it's good to have Siren back up that up with their licensing choices. Btw, Mind Game is a Madman license, and I'm pretty sure they ship internationally too.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:34 am Reply with quote
I don't care for spoilers, and it kind of annoys me when someone spoils something for me. I don't go into threads specifically talking about anime that I know I'm not up to date on, and I do my best to avoid topics that sound like they might have spoilers drop, but there's always some jerk out there who whether intentionally or just because they're trying to brag about how much they know or even if they're just that kind of clueless, they'll drop a spoiler about something in a thread where you wouldn't expect spoilers. The worst offenders are people who read manga scans, coming into threads about current running anime and then saying what's going to happen in the future. Even if they use the spoiler tags, someone will always come along later and either through flat out saying what was under the tag, or based on their reaction it's easy to figure out what was said. Sure, in a lot of cases, I can see the big surprise coming long before it's revealed, but I'd rather get to speculate and figure it out on my own than to have someone spoil it long before I've even had a chance to get any of the clues.

So, needless to say, I'll be skipping next week's Hey Answerfans responses, and I won't be looking in the talkback post on it either. No sense in setting myself up for obvious spoiler moments.
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Something doesn't sound right.

Quote:
It's much less likely in the anime realm for titles to change, mainly due to it's less mainstream nature, and in the few cases where it does happen it's usually because of some licensing snafu where nobody wants to get sued. Hence Detective Conan becoming Case Closed, because neither TMS nor Funimation wants to run afoul of the estates of either Sir Arthur Conan Doyle or Robert E. Howard.

If this is the case, how is it that Shogakukan, Yomiuri TV, Aoyama-sensei, or TMS haven't been sued on the Japanese side of things, yet if FUNi kept the name, they would have the potential to be sued?
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I understand the swap of Detective Conan for Case Closed. Clearly there shouldn't be any issue with it if that's the title in Japan and it's just a port over. I don't see any legal ramifications or snafus that could result from these titles. :/
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I guess some copyrights either are or aren't effected by region?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Kiyomaro wrote:
Something doesn't sound right.

Quote:
It's much less likely in the anime realm for titles to change, mainly due to it's less mainstream nature, and in the few cases where it does happen it's usually because of some licensing snafu where nobody wants to get sued. Hence Detective Conan becoming Case Closed, because neither TMS nor Funimation wants to run afoul of the estates of either Sir Arthur Conan Doyle or Robert E. Howard.

If this is the case, how is it that Shogakukan, Yomiuri TV, Aoyama-sensei, or TMS haven't been sued on the Japanese side of things, yet if FUNi kept the name, they would have the potential to be sued?

Maybe the same thing with what happened with Lupin III.

Lupin III - Legal issues

The name Lupin III caused a legal problem for the series. Monkey Punch did not seek permission to use the Lupin name from the estate of Maurice Leblanc. The estate agreed not to pursue any legal action, provided that the usage of the name remained within Japan. Therefore, when Lupin material was licensed for overseas usage, the name had to be changed. Streamline Pictures renamed Lupin "Wolf." Animeigo went with "Rupan III," which is how Lupin's name is actually pronounced in Japanese....

(The issue was later resolved.)

As long as it stayed in Japan, the rightsholders don't care as much. It's when it goes West when it becomes a problem.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
[quote="GATSU"]
Quote:

ikillchicken:
Quote:
It's so annoying though when I'm looking for some item and I see one sitting there day after day in limbo just because the seller is trying to squeeze some ridiculous price that's not happening out of people.

You mean like Baoh for $50?

Or like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure DVD vol 4 for $200.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
In regards to Brian's first answered question, I have to roll my eyes whenever I see people talk about streaming as if that were the future of anime distribution (or distribution of other media, for that matter). Out of all the forms of digital distribution, streaming is the worse. Want to watch a show but the site is down or your internet connection is down? Well, you're just SOL. Find something else to do with your time until then. Distributor stopped carrying the title (license expired or whatever), or even worse went out of business? Well, you're really SOL. Just like when your favorite Youtube video gets pulled for some idiotic reason, a stream that goes away is G-O-N-E gone. Not so with downloads and especially not so with DVDs. I have 30 different properties from Pioneer-Geneon spread over about 130 discs. The withdrawal of Geneon from the R1 market didn't cause my collection of Geneon DVDs to suddenly disappear (and you can sometimes still find OOP Geneon series online or at B&M stores that sell used DVDs; that's how I finished Fafner, Stellvia, Gankutsuo, and Starship Operators). However, your favorite shows would be lost forever with no way to watch them again if the only way to watch them were via streaming and the distributor suddenly ceased to exist. A DTO service (which Crunchyroll had but discontinued) would be preferable to streams, since at least you still have the files if and when the distributor goes under (and one wonders about the viability of a business like Crunchyroll). Those files don't suddenly cease to exist (though if they get corrupted or your computer tanks, or you never got around to DLing the show...).

Brian says the home video market for anime is shrinking, which is true, but I wonder how much of this is due to ways to watch anime for free online (often illegitimately). People who don't want to pay won't if they can help it (though some people do pay for their anime but still DL fansubs of shows that aren't licensed). Spending on anime peaked in 2003, long before there were legitimate options for streaming or downloading content, and has slowly declined ever since. The DVD market probably declined because of "fans" who are too sorry to pay for their anime, as well as certain boneheaded mistakes made by the anime companies (Bandai Visual's pricing scheme comes to mind; that didn't work out too well for them) rather than the availability of legal digital distribution. The recession probably didn't help things over the last couple of years either. But even though it has declined and might not be able to support as many shows as it once did, the market for anime on home video is still viable, and people like me who prefer physical media will still gladly fork out the cash to own our anime. I'm quite proud of my collection.

Last edited by Deadwing on Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I share Ali's desire to have the 49ers' manga here. I've only read the stories in Moto Hagio's A Drunken Dream and Other Stories, but if the 49ers' work compares to its quality, then I'd be quite excited when a publisher decides to bring more over. There's a lot of appeal for teenage girls that can be used from Hagio's stories alone, such as Angel Mimic, Iguana Girl, and Hanshin Half-God. But alas, exposure is always easier said than done when about widespread popularity and success.

Brian's Answerfans question has got to be because of Bunny Drop. Laughing
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:37 am Reply with quote
darkhappy1 wrote:

Brian's Answerfans question has got to be because of Bunny Drop. Laughing

Even with that, I'd have rather I never had been spoiled about the ending. But, it was pretty obvious what it was due to Zac's reaction to the spoiler. So, that falls under the inadvertant spoiling that there really can't be much done about, other than never go into any discussion about anime in general ever again I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4