• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise to Release Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny With New English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
...Why? I don't understand this to be honest. Both shows already have english dubs which to me are perfectly servicable. I realize not everybody likes it that much, but that's pretty much with any dub.

Look, I absolutely love these voice actors (Stephanie Sheh is simply the best), but I don't see the point of this.

I have a feeling this version's going to end up on Toonami soon or something. I'm guessing the old dub is now considered outdated.
professorwho

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Remember, the remaster has new scenes, and is shorter than the original series (48 vs 50), so this was inevitable.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
So somehow Seed, which is reasonably popular, gets a brand spanking new English dub for no reason at all, whereas Gundam X gets the shaft? Uhhh...why?
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
They should just include both dubs into the DVD release. That way everyone will be happy.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Pfft. I'd rather see (hear, really) a new dub for a Gundam series that either has never been dubbed (Turn A, X, ZZ, Victory) or for one that needs redubbing more (Zeta).

Gundam SEED's dub wasn't great, but then, neither was the show (soulless dreck). At least it was tolerable (unlike the show itself).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I feel like it needs to be stated more clearly that this dub is for the HD remasters of SEED and SEED Destiny, which, as someone else in these comments pointed out, is a few episodes shorter and features new scenes and I imagined new dialogue, meaning the old dub won't work without calling the actors back in, and that could get expensive considering its been a decade and a half, not to mention the VA's have gotten older and likely couldn't put out the same performances as before. This was really the only option other than just making it sub-only.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:
Remember, the remaster has new scenes, and is shorter than the original series (48 vs 50), so this was inevitable.

I think there's no surprise we're getting the remaster in general, but a whole new dub rather than sub-only really is a bit of shock, especially considering how long it all is. It's not really obviously super popular like Gundam Wing, is the thing. I suppose they expect it can do especially well - it is more shiny and new than any of the other old Gundam series and all.

I'm not a fan of either of the Seeds, so I'm not...super...excited, personally, but, interesting news for those who do like them.

Last edited by Kicksville on Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
I feel like it needs to be stated more clearly that this dub is for the HD remasters of SEED and SEED Destiny, which, as someone else in these comments pointed out, is a few episodes shorter and features new scenes and I imagined new dialogue, meaning the old dub won't work without calling the actors back in, and that could get expensive considering its been a decade and a half, not to mention the VA's have gotten older and likely couldn't put out the same performances as before. This was really the only option other than just making it sub-only.

Very little.

The main issue is that there is new and rearranged footage so the original won't necessarily line up but anybody who's got a good hand with it could probably make it mesh together.

As for "it's been a decade a half," have you seen how garbage the CAD is right now? If anything, it'd be cheaper than it was to do originally.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Canaime is dead. This just makes me upset. What's next, recasting Brad Swaile's Amuro with Bryce Papenbrook?

Not Gundam related, but Viz is going to have to pick up those newer Japanese live action Death Note productions eventually. They haven't dubbed anything in Vancouver since InuYasha: The Final Act, so Brad Swaile's Light replaced with [insert LA actor here].

Lynx Amali wrote:
Under. Goddamn. Statement.
The USA has Wing; Canada had SEED. It's funny because I don't even think SEED did well enough to get more than a single run in the US. While as in Canada, we got 4 and a half runs of SEED and 1 and half of Destiny.

Like, this is kind of ass backwards. I'd kind of expect Wing to get the redub considering how popular it is in the states (especially since that could mean Kaye and Hildreth could kind of reprise their roles as Treize and Heero respectively).

Eh, I think you're the one that's got that backwards. Wing being so popular in the US means that dub and its cast is nostalgic sacred ground (whether that's justified or not). SEED being forgotten means Sunrise can do what they want and not expect too much backlash.

It's important to stress that they're only doing a redub because the HD remasters of SEED and Destiny are recuts. They're not the same as the original version. Now, of course, the question could be asked why they didn't get Ocean to dub this, but post-Bandai Entertainment, nothing Sunrise has gone there. IIRC, even the season of Gintama Crunchyroll had Ocean do was under the Bandai Pictures branding.

Allegedly this dub will feature some of the original cast, but outside of Trevor Devall as Mu (who they suspiciously didn't announce today) and whatever minor characters David Kaye may have played, I don't see how. This is clearly not an uber rare US-Canada dub. They're probably just grabbing whatever Vancouver VAs moved to Los Angeles and are still willing to work on anime.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
So somehow Seed, which is reasonably popular, gets a brand spanking new English dub for no reason at all, whereas Gundam X gets the shaft? Uhhh...why?
I don't think Bandai/Sunrise really gives much of care for Gundam X, it's a failed show to them, trying to give it a English dub and market it to the west apparently is too much time wasted for them on that title. Then again it's the same way with Turn A Gundam.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
They should just include both dubs into the DVD release. That way everyone will be happy.

They can't, Sunrise changed stuff around for the HD remaster to the point that syncing the old dub might be a problem.

https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/us-blu-ray-dvd-and-simulcast-industry-news/37363-rightstuf-sunrise-to-release-gundam-franchise?p=605392#post605392 (posted by someone back in February)

Quote:
The problem with SEED's dub is that they shuffled scenes around, shortened some, and inserted scenes from the Special Edition movies, and when they redrew certain scenes, they altered the mouthflaps to better line up to the Japanese audio. They didn't add anything that requires new voicework thogh. If they have the seperate dialogue stems, they could "easily" remix them with the HD Remaster music+effects track and resync the dub. The mouthflaps might be an issue, but it'd work. I say "easily" because it's still a good bit of work to mix all that stuff again.

If they don't have the separate stems, which, being that SEED's dub is 10+ years old, wouldn't surprise me at all if they final mix is all they have, then the issue you run into is the change don't allow the dub to sync properly. It can be made to work through selective edits, but the music and effects make noticeable jumps if you do that. It also becomes a bigger issue later on where they altered things more, like the scenes with the new Perfect Strike. The launch sequence for that was changed up because the Strike has all 3 Strikers mounted, so the effects hit much faster as they are attached. If you try and use the original version of that scene from the dub, only the Aile Striker was installed, so the effects fall totally out of sync.

As for your suggestion of an edit to match the dub, the problem there is, they would need to have upscale a whole bunch of material that was removed or reanimated, like the aforementioned Strike changes. All those battle scenes would need to be restored to the Aile Strike version. The HD Remaster episodes run the same length as their old counterparts, it's just the shortening of scenes to account for new stuff like the Special Edition scenes and such. If they're just gonna upscale the whole thing across the board, it loses it's luster a bit.

The whole situation is a mess. Honestly, at this point, if they don't have the separate stems, I'd expect a sub-only release unless they decide to have Ocean redub the whole series, which is probably not gonna happen.

This explains why Sunrise's recent streams of SEED & SEED Destiny have been subtitled-only because it has only been the HD versions,

Primus wrote:
Not Gundam related, but Viz is going to have to pick up those newer Japanese live action Death Note productions eventually. They haven't dubbed anything in Vancouver since InuYasha: The Final Act, so Brad Swaile's Light replaced with [insert LA actor here]

Can't speak for the 2015 series but it looks like FUNimation has the 2016 film.

Last edited by NJ_ on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:17 pm; edited 4 times in total
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
ZZ Gundam, V Gundam, Gundam X, Turn A Gundam, etc, are all old. At this point it's safe to assume none of them are either popular enough or marketable enough to warrant new, full 50-ish episode dubs. Well known enough to get out there with sub only Blu-rays or whatever, but not much more than that.

This would seem to suggest they believe the HD remastered Seeds are more marketable or that the Seeds are sufficiently popular to begin with. I guess.
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
ZZ Gundam, V Gundam, Gundam X, Turn A Gundam, etc, are all old. At this point it's safe to assume none of them are either popular enough or marketable enough to warrant new, full 50-ish episode dubs. Well known enough to get out there with sub only Blu-rays or whatever, but not much more than that.

This would seem to suggest they believe the HD remastered Seeds are more marketable or that the Seeds are sufficiently popular to begin with. I guess.
It's possible that's their reasoning, but I had a friend suggest that there might be something more to it than that. A SEED movie was penned and reportedly finished well before the director(Or was it the writer?) passed away, just never animated. SEED is one of the most popular Gundam series in Japan, so perhaps the HD remasters are being redubbed so that the new voice cast can be used for the movie, rather than having a disconnect? Assuming Sunrise has actually decided to move ahead with the movie after all these years that is.

Admittedly though, that sounds like a crackpot theory now that I've said it out loud.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
That penguin is so predictable
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
It's possible that's their reasoning, but I had a friend suggest that there might be something more to it than that. A SEED movie was penned and reportedly finished well before the director(Or was it the writer?) passed away, just never animated. SEED is one of the most popular Gundam series in Japan, so perhaps the HD remasters are being redubbed so that the new voice cast can be used for the movie, rather than having a disconnect? Assuming Sunrise has actually decided to move ahead with the movie after all these years that is.

Admittedly though, that sounds like a crackpot theory now that I've said it out loud.

It's worth noting the Seed remasters are actually pretty old by now (they started back in 2011), so if they were gonna strike (heh) while the iron was hot, it's not so hot anymore in Japan. Still, on the other hand, it's very much in Nostalgia Anime territory by now, where a Gundam Seed movie could just as well capitalize on that instead, so the theory that it might pop out one day persists. But I dunno if a new English dub for an old new old series tells us anything either way.

...by the way, did you used to post on Gundam.com a million years ago? Maybe there was just someone with a similar name...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7