• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise to Release Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny With New English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Nyren wrote:
It's possible that's their reasoning, but I had a friend suggest that there might be something more to it than that. A SEED movie was penned and reportedly finished well before the director(Or was it the writer?) passed away, just never animated. SEED is one of the most popular Gundam series in Japan, so perhaps the HD remasters are being redubbed so that the new voice cast can be used for the movie, rather than having a disconnect? Assuming Sunrise has actually decided to move ahead with the movie after all these years that is.

Admittedly though, that sounds like a crackpot theory now that I've said it out loud.

It's worth noting the Seed remasters are actually pretty old by now (they started back in 2011), so if they were gonna strike (heh) while the iron was hot, it's not so hot anymore in Japan. Still, on the other hand, it's very much in Nostalgia Anime territory by now, where a Gundam Seed movie could just as well capitalize on that instead, so the theory that it might pop out one day persists. But I dunno if a new English dub for an old new old series tells us anything either way.

...by the way, did you used to post on Gundam.com a million years ago? Maybe there was just someone with a similar name...
I can safely say that wasn't me. Haha
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
That penguin is so predictable

This is the only unbiased comment in the thread. The old dub is good, the old dub is bad, other Gundams are too old to dub, those should be dubbed because they're better... Canada...

If they're paying for a new dub, I'm ok with it.

On one hand, Sunrise continues to use NYAV's dubbing services, keeping them in the mix but on the other, I'm not sure if they have any talent left that's just unique to them.

Last edited by Animegomaniac on Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Looong time, no post, but this I had to chime in on this.

Personally, I loved the Gundam SEED dub (won't really get into the SEED Destiny dub) and am sad to hear they are going this route. IMO a solid dub for its time - not perfect but not horrible either. However, the fact it is getting a new dub is not a surprise as others have pointed out - the dub is Canadian; pushing 15 years old (dub was most likely done started 2003); and must be re-done for the HD re-master due to it not being the same show as the TV version. As much as I'm a Gundam SEED fan girl, I know the show wasn't well received by US online fandom and part of me is feeling like why are we wasting money re-dubbing when some shows never got a dub to begin with. On the other hand, I can understand wanting to re-dub it because the market needs a English dub to help sell it in more English speaking markets and this is really aimed at those who may not have heard the original dub. So I'm kind of feeling like "whatever, probably won't pick this up anyway" but I never say never Laughing I wish NYAV post well and while it would be nice to think their dub could hopefully make GS more popular I just don't think that's what is going to happen. A new dub isn't going to "fix" anything that people who didn't like the show originally to begin with said they disliked back in the day. The main issue was I remember hardcore Gundam fans not liking the plot-line - no dub could ever fix that sort of issue and Sunrise worked with/on both of these dubs so I don't see major differences happening here, other than changes that might be made due to the time that's past.

As for Canadian actors returning - the only major one I know (that is, VA in a major part) that's working in the U.S. is Trevor Devall (Mu) and I feel his returning is 50/50. Trevor is currently working in a lot of Pre-Lay shows (one roll he plays is Rocket in the TV version of Guardian's of the Galaxy) and he may not be available to do the part, even if he's interested. However, I do remember he did like playing Mu, as well as returned to reprise a roll in another Canadian dubbed shows that later got U.S. dub for its continuation, so I wouldn't rule him out if he is asked. Personally I'd love to have him, Lisa Ann Beley (Murrue), as well as Mark Oliver back, but I'm not expecting it. FWIW, David Kaye wasn't in this dub so it's not even a issue.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
What the KLAC-ing you got be why this happen?!

(Blame barry allen for again messing timeline)

Yet how come call bring back some of them origimal dub voices give some still active looking at pony series & others.

Well at least still it original dubs on discs series still own indeed so rare to have it.

Overall wait & see give still fond of it original especially Strand's Lacus voice.

I know been hooked on series since 04.
MadHi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice to know why they're doing this since fans of this series and it's dub would rather hear it with the original VA's. I'm really sick of when drastic decisions are made with no explanation validating them. Just to give an example I still can't fathom why FUNimation didn't reuse Kyle Hebert to narrate Dragon Ball Z Kai and instead opted to go with that cheesy semi-whimsical one they ended up with. And I won't accept the 'trying to be as close to the Japanese version as possible' excuse because Z Kai still retained more attributes of the original dub than it did trying to be an accurate translation (especially the one liners and westernized jokes).

Why are they redubbing it entirely when all but a few episodes of the remastered versions sync up well with the original dub? All they need to do is hire Ocean Group to record, really, just SOME lines. That sounds easier, saves time, and costs much less than starting from scratch. If FUNimation can get them to record the dub for Black Lagoon: Roberta's Bloodtrail, there's no reason Rightstuff can't contact Ocean Group. I know most of the VA's from when they first dubbed it are still working there, so an explanation is warranted. I'm sure the new cast is good and all, but come on, there's nothing wrong with the original. Plus Canada doesn't do dubs anymore so why erase an old fine one?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
New dub and they cast the same god awful Lacus...

Primus wrote:
The Gundam series partially set in Canada becomes the first mainline Gundam released in North America not dubbed in Canada.

The most well known Gundam series in Canada gets redubbed to remove all the Canadians.

I don't think they ever go to Canada though? Closest they get is Japan and Alaska with the other area of the planet significant time was spent being Africa.

MadHi wrote:
It would be nice to know why they're doing this since fans of this series and it's dub would rather hear it with the original VA's. I'm really sick of when drastic decisions are made with no explanation validating them.

You realize this isn't just an upscale right? It is recut with edited and additional scenes. If they could slap the old dub on there, I seriously doubt they would be bothering.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
New dub and they cast the same god awful Lacus...

Chantal Strand isn't returning, though?

SilverTalon01 wrote:
I don't think they ever go to Canada though? Closest they get is Japan and Alaska with the other area of the planet significant time was spent being Africa.

IBO literally has a city called Edmonton that pilfers landscape from the real city: http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonton/2016/03/23/famous-anime-series-models-city-on-edmonton.html
curtisd88

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I for one have no problem with this. They can't reuse the old dub because the HD remasters have new scenes so that's out of the question. Also it was stated that they don't the time or funds to get ALL of the original cast back together so a new casting for a lot of roles was in order. If this is what it takes to get the HD remaster over here and in English I'm all for it. I just can't wait to own this on Bluray FINALLY!
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Chantal Strand isn't returning, though?

Not sure how I fucked that one up, but good news!

Primus wrote:
IBO literally has a city called Edmonton that pilfers landscape from the real city: http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonton/2016/03/23/famous-anime-series-models-city-on-edmonton.html

I figured your comment was related to the seed dubs the article was for.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:10 pm Reply with quote
curtisd88 wrote:
I for one have no problem with this. They can't reuse the old dub because the HD remasters have new scenes so that's out of the question. Also it was stated that they don't the time or funds to get ALL of the original cast back together so a new casting for a lot of roles was in order. If this is what it takes to get the HD remaster over here and in English I'm all for it. I just can't wait to own this on Bluray FINALLY!

The time thing I'm calling bs on. Most if not all of the VAs that did the original dub still do voice work for series' that air on the discovery family channel.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Allegedly this dub will feature some of the original cast, but outside of Trevor Devall as Mu (who they suspiciously didn't announce today) and whatever minor characters David Kaye may have played, I don't see how. This is clearly not an uber rare US-Canada dub. They're probably just grabbing whatever Vancouver VAs moved to Los Angeles and are still willing to work on anime.

Hmm that's interesting, but It would depend on the actors themselves (e.g. Trevor Devall, David Kaye) if they would be interested in reprising their roles, but another thing that will prevent them from appearing is that they are Union-ONLY voice actors making them impossible to appear in ANY non-union productions. This is mainly for personal reasons to avoid getting fined by SAG-AFTRA, or a personal choice/decision by themselves and their agents (e.g want voice work that pays more, or those that allow improvisation and working in an ensemble). Lastly, they have been primarily doing pre-lay animation these days even after the move to LA, especially David, so tomayto tomahto.

Last edited by DisneyXAnimefan95 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quote
curtisd88 wrote:

They could though. That's the thing. Sunrise would most likely have the master audio for the English dub that was produced. The only thing that makes it hard to just transplant the original onto it is the new scenes and rearranged scenes. Anyone with a good hand for video manipulation could make it work actually. I've tried doing it with my Japanese copies of the remaster and I made it work for the most part. The only exceptions being some of the SFX didn't match up completely but I also didn't have the raw audio files that Sunrise would most likely have.

They are very few actually new lines in it. They cut the recaps, add the Perfect Strike in the Battle of Orb but nothing else is really brand new. This isn't like the Escaflowne situation (which ended up being really goddamn minor, considering the scenes that weren't dubbed totalled up to like 10 or so minutes.) Considering fans have already matched the English dub to the HD Remaster too, I don't see why a company who would most likely have access to the original dub files would need to redub it, unless they've lost access to the files or sound FX files (which is unlikely considering SEED uses the exact same SFX that Sunrise used for a ton of shows.)

At the very least, they could include the original dub for people who want it because the HD Remasters are kind of garbage anyway and not a worth a completely new dub, especially considering how awful SEED did in the USA and yet it did absurdly well in Canada, who's probably going to get burned by this anyway.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I figured your comment was related to the seed dubs the article was for.

The second part of my comment was. I thought it was obvious the first wasn't.

curtisd88 wrote:

I call BS on that. Outside of Trevor Devall who moved to LA, almost all of the major VAs are still regularly doing shows in Vancouver. Many have even appeared in Ocean anime dubs within the last few years (Hill is currently playing a lead on Beyblade Burst). There would have to be some recast voices, but it wouldn't be everyone.

The real reason is that post-Bandai Entertainment, Sunrise has been cheap and doesn't want to pay ACTRA rates.

DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
Primus wrote:

Allegedly this dub will feature some of the original cast, but outside of Trevor Devall as Mu (who they suspiciously didn't announce today) and whatever minor characters David Kaye may have played, I don't see how. This is clearly not an uber rare US-Canada dub. They're probably just grabbing whatever Vancouver VAs moved to Los Angeles and are still willing to work on anime.

Hmm that's interesting, but It would depend on the actors themselves (e.g. Trevor Devall, David Kaye) if they would be interested in reprising their roles, but another thing that will prevent them from appearing is that besides being Union-ONLY making it impossible to appear in ANY non-union productions. This is mainly for personal reasons to avoid getting fined by SAG-AFTRA, or a personal choice/decision by themselves and their agents (e.g want voice work that pays more, or those that allow improvisation and working in an ensemble). Lastly, they have been primarily doing pre-lay animation these days even after the move to LA, especially David, so tomayto tomahto.

That's why I said allegedly. I agree with you that both are probably too "big" for a non-union anime dub (Devall is on Marvel stuff, Kaye does John Oliver's show). It's just that with the cast announced, there's not exactly a lot of room for any original members to return. La Flaga is one of the only majors they didn't reveal.

Well, okay, they didn't reveal Rau, but as far as I can tell, Mark Oliver still lives in Vancouver, so that's very unlikely.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Good for Gundam Seed to get another chance over here as I thought that it was a much better series then hardcore Gundam fans discourages and dismiss it as being. (Indeed I find most of criticisms of it to be massively hypocritical coming from fans of Zeta, Victroy, 0083, Unicorn etc.) Seed Destiny on the other hand... is exactly as bad as most of the fandom says (though in part because it is derived from the already awful Zeta) and nothing short of total remake could fix it.

I wonder if they'll try redubbing Gundam 00 as well given that it's still relative new?
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
I wonder if they'll try redubbing Gundam 00 as well given that it's still relative new?

00 was produced in HD and doesn't have a recut that would make recycling Ocean's work a pain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7