• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise to Release Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny With New English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:06 am Reply with quote
The more mention i keep reading around still wonder give still why give original dub was back in 2004 forward 13 years later get re-dub.

Of course it remaster hd yet why yet bring back any originals voice give some are still active right now.

Give i might do sample hear but it rather have same feel like it original dub or yet so KLAC-ing calling a return original dub version to watch again.

I know too attach fond of original GS series dub even had discs to watch all again really it like a part of my life.
redranger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:27 am Reply with quote
Does the remastered version improve on all the recycled animation? Or is every action scene still literally EXACTLY the same?
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:49 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
This is probably going sound rather awful, but I hated IBO's second season worse than Seed Destiny.

Comparing that to IBO's second season which was all over the place and pretty much sunk a pretty good first season.

I agree, and that is exactly why. Destiny was bad, but it was consistent with characters making logical choices throughout and the different aspects of the plot coming together at the end. Some of those choices should/could have gone the other way, but I can understand the reasoning even if I don't agree. It certainly continued to go in the worst direction possible though so the show is still pretty awful.

IBO S2 on the other hand was just a complete mess, and like Destiny, it also just kept moving in the worst possible direction. I also agree that it was kind of shocking to see them ruin it half way through where as Destiny was never that great from the start.

But hey, the less stinky pile of shit is still a pile of shit.

I'm really just indifferent to Destiny, it's not awful to me, it's just meh. Unlike others I was just really not upset over Kira being the savior or anything. Shinn was unlikable and so I was fine with Kira and Athrun taking over as the protagonists (Athrun was already basically the protagonist) and literally punching Shinn down in the final episodes.

IBO season 2, had a lot of writing problems, A LOT. Starting from Rustal's character down on. Even McGillis was pretty much given really murky writing, I mean even Gilbert Durandal got better writing.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:

This is probably going sound rather awful, but I hated IBO's second season worse than Seed Destiny.

There is no part of IBO that even approaches as bad as even the original SEED, let alone Destiny. Even at its worst, it's no worse than parts of 00 (still better than SEED) or Wing (doesn't hold up, but still better than SEED). At least the characters in IBO are actual characters, and not just vague character outlines.

The misplaced nostalgia for CE era Gundam is baffling to me. It's just candy-coated UC rehash that doesn't even try to be its own thing. At least IBO took some risks. SEED didn't even attempt to go anywhere with Coordinators, except as victims of oppression. If an AU series is going to have a Newtype analogue, it should at least explore the implications, instead of taking the easy route.

But that said, I don't recall the English dub being particularly awful. There are certainly worse in the franchise, like the old dub for the original movie trilogy.

Oh penguin I knew you would disagree with that statement.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:05 am Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
Does the remastered version improve on all the recycled animation? Or is every action scene still literally EXACTLY the same?

Lucky you! The remaster makes the best Gundam series even better!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:09 am Reply with quote
While I can not recall the dub being anything amazing, there wasn't anything wrong with it, so a re-dub seems a bit strange. Well i can wither take it or leave at the end of the day. I'm more interested in the dub for season 2 of IBO.
Velshtein

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:18 am Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
Does the remastered version improve on all the recycled animation? Or is every action scene still literally EXACTLY the same? Piece of shit anime.

Lots of mecha series have recycled animation. So I've never understood why C.E. Gundam gets exclusively shat on for it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

Thats not very encouraging considering everything since Unicorn has been mediocre to awful. Not sure to say if its VA direction but you've got stuff like Io not being not enough of a sleezeball in Thunderbolt, Orga being hilarously miscast in IBO but also things like recasting established characters like pretty much the entirety of Origin. I love Silverstein's Frontal but his Char's eeeeh.

I've been rather enjoying the NYAV dubs for Gundam titles. The Origin has a solid dub, even though it takes a little bit to adjust to new voices for a couple of characters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
In general, I just miss the Canadian VAs. Wish they were in more anime titles.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
Velshtein wrote:
redranger wrote:

Lots of mecha series have recycled animation. So I've never understood why C.E. Gundam gets exclusively shat on for it.

Its popular. People hate it when the series they dislike is popular and liked by many.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
I'm legitimately surprised since I don't know why it would need a re-dub. It's been a long time since I watched SEED so maybe I don't recall it well enough, but it seemed like it was fine, certainly not so bad that it needed to be redone. Both series were completely dubbed too. Rather odd considering how so many shows never get a dub at all because of the cost.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
When a re-mastered version of an Japanese anime gets a new English dub or even when there 's an non-remastered new English dub, there is a strong feeling of nostalgia for many fans of the old dub. This can happen even when those fans are aware of how butchered the old dub may have been. This specifically applies to the Canadian "Sailor Moon" and 4kids "One Piece" dubs. Also, there are fans that have seen both the old and new dubs but prefer a particular character's voice in the old dub.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Velshtein wrote:

Its popular. People hate it when the series they dislike is popular and liked by many.

Yep. That's precisely why you'll see so many people attack UC and CE. Because their the 2 juggernauts of gundam. Juggernauts by anime standards in general really.
macattack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Velshtein wrote:
redranger wrote:
Does the remastered version improve on all the recycled animation? Or is every action scene still literally EXACTLY the same? Piece of shit anime.

SEED and especially SEED Destiny tend to use recycled animation more than their peers, including reusing a lot of frames in the openings. When Gundam 00 aired and used approximately zero recycled animation, the criticism of SEED and SEED Destiny got particularly heated and left it with the reputation it has today.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I'm legitimately surprised since I don't know why it would need a re-dub. It's been a long time since I watched SEED so maybe I don't recall it well enough, but it seemed like it was fine, certainly not so bad that it needed to be redone. Both series were completely dubbed too. Rather odd considering how so many shows never get a dub at all because of the cost.

As has been mentioned a few times in this thread, when they released the HD version in Japan, they messed with it. I don't know exactly what they changed, but some stuff was added or removed, so the existing dub could not be used exactly as-is. Whether fulling redubbing it was the best decision, I don't know, but it was what Funimation decided to do with Escaflowne, which has basically the same problem.

Personally, I have very mixed feelings about this. Gundam Seed is by far my favorite gundam series, and I'd love to have it in HD, but it's going to be very disappointing to have to deal with a new dub. I really liked the orginal dub, but with any dub, it's always hard to see actors take over roles, let alone the entire cast. Depending on my reaction to it, I may just end up watching it in Japanese, since with the language switch, it won't bother me as much, but I prefer to watch stuff dubbed. So, I don't know.

On the bright side, I definitely still have all of my DVDs, so I can still watch the original version regardless, but it won't be in HD, and higher video quality really matters to me - though truth be told, I don't know how much of an improvement the HD is in this case. That depends on how much better it looks with their changes. I don't know exactly what they did when they "remastered" it, but it's hard to believe that they redrew everything at higher quality, and without doing that, I don't know that it would look enough better to be worth dealing with the voice actors changing. I may end up buying these and then deciding that on future rewatches, I'll just rewatch the orignals. I don't know.

Truth be told though, even if they had decided to have Ocean Studios dub the new version, and even if enough footage stayed the the same that large portions of the dub could be reused, I bet that they would have had to redub somebdody, and that would have been annoying too. So, I don't think that there was every any way that we were going to completely win on this.

Regardless, it's good to see these coming over. I'd been wondering what they were going to do about the need to redub portions of the show, but I figured that I'd be stuck with the decision of watching it in HD or watching it with a dub, not watching it in HD with a new dub vs watching it in SD with the old. So, this is certainly a surprise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7