• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Cyborg 009 The Cyborg Soldier, Tomorrow's Joe, Project ARMS, NieA_7, Lupin I

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't really watch dubs anymore (not that I hate them) and I've never actually seen the series yet, but I will get Bananya on Bluray to hear Mike Toole narrate it.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Divineking wrote:

Sounds like the problem is TMS and TMS alone https://twitter.com/Jose_CNN/status/896811166122561537

At the very least, Discotek shouldn't have teased us with a dub featuring the Red Jacket cast if they knew they were only going to dub the Italian TV version.

TMS paid for the dub for whatever reason. Discotek just used it since it already existed.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
It is unfortunate that Discotek will have to split the release of Lupin III, Part IV. But I can live without the dub version because I am not attached to the Part 2 dub cast. I am set as long as the subbed version comes in 3 BD's and has the correct audio and video. And watching Fujiko Mine being voiced by the great Miyuki Sawashiro is a joy.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
God, I love Discotek.
I've never seen Robot Carnival, but I certainly appreciate that fancy release and all the work they're putting into it.

It's a little TOO 80's Streamline-era "arthouse"--All but three of the segments are without dialogue, but that leaves more room to show just how many genres Jo Hisaishi CAN musically score outside of Ghibli....He'll surprise you on this one. Otherwise, pretty much just historical homework.
And yes, thought this one would be in post-Streamline limbo forever too, after the company bought it back, but like the Beautiful Dreamer Blu-ray, Discotek can do anything. Anime smallmouth

As for Lupin: Babylon Gold, it's the last of the vintage theatricals, and....not their best moment. A little too loud, gaudy, and early-80's sexist even for Lupin.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
With Cyborg 009 rerelesed. I do believe that's now makes every single anime that aired on the classic Toonami block readily available again. Strange situation with Lupin though. Oh well, I'll just buy the sub-only release then.

Nope. We're still missing a proper rerelease of Rurouni Kenshin after the Media Blasters version went out of print and a rerelease of Zoids New Century Zero and Chaotic Century as well.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
As usual some people just can't be happy no matter what.

I'll definitely be picking up Bananya & Project Arms. I have to say I find it interesting they're using Teamfourstar for the dub of Hells. Didn't see that coming. They better have a gag reel on the extras for that show.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
As usual some people just can't be happy no matter what.

I'll definitely be picking up Bananya & Project Arms. I have to say I find it interesting they're using Teamfourstar for the dub of Hells. Didn't see that coming. They better have a gag reel on the extras for that show.

No kidding! Mr. P doesn't do anything BUT complain! Definite trend in his posts towards being a grump.
(I try to do at least 50/50 in my posts or I'd annoy myself...)

In the end, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised...

Lots of interesting licenses there. I'm not sure how well Legend of Gold of Babylon will end up doing since it's a very eccentric-looking Lupin film. It looks more European than Japanese... More like something Bruno Bozzetto or Guido Manuli would have created instead of the Japanese studio TMS. What the article doesn't tell you is that AnimEigo had plans at one time to release it on DVD but they didn't get that in place until it was too late and their license expired. AnimEigo did release Babylon on VHS and LD in the 1990s. There have been a few licensed anime that were literally put out on DVD a month before licenses expired. I think that happened with AnimEigo's Baoh DVD (even though personally I felt it wasn't a great anime to begin with).

Yeah, I think the 2001 Cyborg 009 is the most appealing version of that series to get... Hopefully, it gets finished THIS time. There's a few episodes that never aired on Cartoon Network.

Oh, and the article did make a boo-boo where Robot Carnival is concerned. It's NOT a 2000 anime. Try more like 1987! It was previously licensed by Streamline Pictures and one portion of the film (the segment with the female android entitled "Presence," I think) was dubbed into English. That's the only part of the film where there was dialogue. It was released on VHS and LD in the US previously. I've still got the LD.

One of the start-up licensing companies in the early 2000s called Sync Arts or something like that announced they had the license to release it on DVD but they never did release it OR ANYTHING before they disappeared into oblivion.

I would definitely get Robot Carnival on Blu ray... It's one of the better anime compilation films.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I love discotek. More Lupin III <3 including legend of babylon never been on dvd. Project Arms which I missed when viz released it and when it was on hulu for a while after the dvd went out of print. Finally a full dvd release of Cyborg 009 Very Happy
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Seriously never expected Bananya to get licensed, let alone with an English dub. It's certainly cute, but I feel like it's really only worth watching to hear a very silly and ridiculous Kaji Yuki.
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering the other day if Cyborg 009 would ever get a proper release here, I'll definitely buy it when it comes out. Now if only the 1979 anime could get a release over here.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:

Sounds like the problem is TMS and TMS alone https://twitter.com/Jose_CNN/status/896811166122561537

So it's another case of a Japanese production company being ridiculously unaware of its international audience. Terrific!

Last edited by Top Gun on Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
If you recall, the trailer Discotek had for the Part IV dub featured the Japanese OP. So apparently TMS allowed them to have it for a trailer but not for the show?

Unfortunately, it's impossible to find that trailer anymore, because Discotek scrubbed it from their Facebook. Maybe they got in trouble.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm shocked that Bananya is getting a release, let alone a dubbed one. Not that Bananya is a bad series per say, but it's nothing, really. Why put out so much money on a show like that when they could put their expenses towards something more noteworthy?
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm... incredibly disappointed actually. I was SUPER exicted for Lupin III Part IV, but hearing that the dub gets a separate release without the japanese score is SUCH a shame... I'm seriously doubting whether I'll buy it, but at the same time I do want to support it... urgh.

Aside from that though, Bananya and HELLS getting dubs!? I am so in for that. Also Babylon was a very fun Lupin movie and even on BD, that's awesome!
Still no date for Beautiful Dreamer though... so impatient for that one.

Also looking forward to move from Lupin III Part II, been waiting for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If you recall, the trailer Discotek had for the Part IV dub featured the Japanese OP. So apparently TMS allowed them to have it for a trailer but not for the show?

Unfortunately, it's impossible to find that trailer anymore, because Discotek scrubbed it from their Facebook. Maybe they got in trouble.

They had to take that trailer down specifically at the request of TMS.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4