• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Questions about Ranma 1/2 DVD Set 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
Does the DVD set 1 contain episodes 1-23 like the blu-ray? And are the episodes "The Abduction of P-Chan" and "Close Call! The Dance of Death... On Ice!" are in or on Set 2?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:15 pm Reply with quote
That depends on which set you buy. According to the Encyclopedia here, the DVD set that came out at the same time as the Bluray also has 23 episodes. It likely has the same content the Bluray did. If you get one of the earlier sets (The Digital Dojo) the first set will have only 18 episodes as did the first season on TV. The episodes you mention are included in the second set.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. I was hoping those episodes would be on the first set since I think Viz had them out of order to match the manga, but I guess the new release is in the correct production order.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
@Haterater

The older (pre 2014) DVD sets are in broadcast order. The story is that the show was cancelled after the first 18 episodes. When they found that out, the studio skipped the two martial arts ice skating episodes and went straight to the introduction of Shampoo. After a month's delay the show was renewed beginning with the skipped episodes.

As you noted, the current reordering restored the show to the manga order. For what it is worth the Blurays have a couple of other episodes moved in later box sets. For instance, episode 28 is moved to 30 and episodes 29 & 30 are moved up one step each. Episode 63 is moved to 69 and the intervening episodes are moved up one. Also episode 88 is moved to 90. I have no idea why these changes occurred. I assume the new DVD sets probably follow this ordering.

Instead of the fake "seasons" the old DVDs claimed to represent, the new release is broken into seven sets of 23 episodes each.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Just so that I'm clear... the old DVD sets (which I have) do have all the episodes, correct? It's just that some appear in different sets relative to the newer releases? No episodes got dropped completely?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

Yes all of the episodes were present on the old DVDs. They are just in broadcast order. The new version puts them back in the order that follows the manga. Reportedly, the two episodes Haterater mentions were already in production and possibly completed when the decision to cancel was announced. They substituted the Shampoo episodes to give a better ending (and possibly to get better ratings).
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for that information Alan45. Was hoping to have alot of my favorites in one set, but don't mind getting Set 2 for the rest.

I assume the original release had them in Viz order here: [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ranma_½_episodes_(season_2)] Season 2 episode list[/url]
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:34 am Reply with quote
Yes, as far as I remember the original DVDs had the episodes in what is called Viz order. I got rid of my DVDs when the Blurays came out.

Interestingly, the encyclopedia here used to provide the Viz order for air dates. However it has been revised to match the Wikipedia list you referenced. Presumably that provides the correct order and air dates. I'm going to have to redo the pamphlet that I keep with the disks.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:52 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, peeps. I'm glad I have all the eppies, regardless of what order they're in. Really should watch the show one of these days. Ironically, I own almost every Rumiko Takahashi TV anime adaptation that's been released in North America (except for Urusei Yatsura, an admittedly major missing piece, and Rin-ne) yet the only things I've watched so far are Rin-ne (I'm up to date on it) and a few episodes of Mermaid Forest which, when I watched them, I didn't realize were an adaptation of a Takahashi manga. I'll definitely get back to that show some day.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:00 am Reply with quote
The order isn't really important. Ranma 1/2 is very episodic. Most stories are one episode long and few are longer than two episodes.

The anime does follow the stories in the manga fairly closely. I suspect what happened is that when they decided to do the Japanese Bluray edition that Takahashi requested that the episodes be reordered to match the manga. In that case Viz just followed the Japanese Bluray order when they brought out the Blurays and the latest DVD edition.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:16 am Reply with quote
Yes, I'm sure Ranma 1/2 is a lot like Rin-ne that way. Mind you, even though Rin-ne is fairly episodic itself (an episode will sometimes have three different stand alone stories), what it often does is refer back to things that happened several episodes (or even in previous seasons) ago. Not really essential to understanding the story, but it's nice to have been aware of them.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
There are several threads in Ranma 1/2 you need to keep some track of:

The big one is the ever increasing list of girls Ranma was promised to.

Anyone who has visited one of the springs in Jusenkyo (Ryoga, Mousse, Pantyhose Taro etc.)

All members of the Kuno establishment. They come back like cockroaches.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
The episodes I asked about are in the first set, so happy they're in that order of episodes. For Set 2, hoping Tsubasa debut episode is in that one, which I think it is.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
@Haterater

Tsubasa Kurenai is introduced in episode 45. That is the next to the last episode in volume 2.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks again Alan45! Trying to get the sets that have most of my favorites on it, so very much appreciate the help.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2