• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: .hack//G.U. Last Recode PS4/PC Game Slated for November 3 in N. America

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
So the new content is an entirely new 4th volume? That's pretty great! Being released on a Friday is a little strange, but oh well, I'm on a long vacation starting the next day.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zaig

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:23 pm Reply with quote
At long last the release date is official! I will be supporting this by purchasing the limited edition Japanese version, and English PS4 plus PC releases. May this be the signal of a brighter future lying ahead for the .hack franchise.

Emerje wrote:
So the new content is an entirely new 4th volume? That's pretty great! Being released on a Friday is a little strange, but oh well, I'm on a long vacation starting the next day.

Emerje

While the vacation seems coincidental for you, now that the release date is known, I will be requesting to use a week or two of my PTO in order to play this. .hack//GU quite literally is my favorite game series - just a few months ago I replayed all of the games near the lowest level possible.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I've been meaning to play these games for a long time, but the high price on the secondhand market always out me off and I never got around to using "other methods". .hack fans, will this be a good place to jump in?
Zaig

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
I've been meaning to play these games for a long time, but the high price on the secondhand market always out me off and I never got around to using "other methods". .hack fans, will this be a good place to jump in?

It would be the ideal place to jump in considering there are only two series available in English: the original 4 games (Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, Quarantine) that are part of a series, and GU which is this remastered release with more content. While I love the original series, I don't think it's aged well because the battle system mostly comes down to pressing x or selecting skills with repeated dungeon and monster designs, as well as multiple frustrating item fetch quests that are required to advance in the story that only serve to bloat the gameplay time a bit. GU either doesn't suffer from any of this at all, or it's at least nowhere near as bad, with improvements in basically every area, so yeah - it's indeed a great place, arguably the best place, to jump in. The two series are also loosely related, thus you won't be missing out by solely playing GU.
hikura

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
That is cool they added extra material.I was on the fence on buying it initially.But Now i am going to get for the extra material.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh my I heard December 31 but this is so much sooner than I anticipated. I was kind of hoping for the end of December. Happy it's earlier but now I really gotta get to saving for my PS4 and hurry and replay the originals. I'm eager to compare and contrast what will be the same and what might be changed. Exciting to see some extra content.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:06 am Reply with quote
Yesssss the hype is real!
Flare-kun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:48 am Reply with quote
Such an unexpected treat. I never finished the third game, so I'm really looking forward to diving back in. This Fall has some amazing releases. Stoked!
Amiantos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:45 am Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Oh my I heard December 31 but this is so much sooner than I anticipated. I was kind of hoping for the end of December. Happy it's earlier but now I really gotta get to saving for my PS4 and hurry and replay the originals. I'm eager to compare and contrast what will be the same and what might be changed. Exciting to see some extra content.

Usually when a game has a Dec. 31 release date that's just a place holder until they release a actual date.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Flare-kun wrote:
Such an unexpected treat. I never finished the third game, so I'm really looking forward to diving back in. This Fall has some amazing releases. Stoked!

The final quest spoiler[the Forest of Pain] is worth it. Be ready for it!
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I am getting the local PS4 game and the Japanese LE too. GU is my favorite series from .hack and I wanna support it in hopes of more future .hack projects. I also really like how they are going beyond simply porting this to the PS4/PC.

Emerje wrote:
So the new content is an entirely new 4th volume? That's pretty great!
Yes and no. We are indeed getting a new scenario that is called Vol. 4: Reconnection - but it is more like an epilogue, not a full 40h game.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
After barely getting to know Haseo through Roots, and him appearing in Project X Zone 2, I guess this is as good a time as any for me to snatch this remaster up.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
I am getting the local PS4 game and the Japanese LE too. GU is my favorite series from .hack and I wanna support it in hopes of more future .hack projects. I also really like how they are going beyond simply porting this to the PS4/PC.

Emerje wrote:
So the new content is an entirely new 4th volume? That's pretty great!
Yes and no. We are indeed getting a new scenario that is called Vol. 4: Reconnection - but it is more like an epilogue, not a full 40h game.

I don't know, they've made it sound like this is a full fledged sequel on top of the original three volumes. They're even giving Haseo a new form for volume 4 as is tradition for the GU games, which would be kinda pointless if it was some small scenario.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:52 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
I am getting the local PS4 game and the Japanese LE too.

Me too! I decided to spring for the LE because I want the extras (dat OST and Returner OVA Very Happy)
population_tire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
I hope it does well enough to get the first 4 games remade too. Over 200 bucks on ebay for them is not going to happen and I've always wanted to play them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2