• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Code Geass: Akito the Exiled BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I keep debating whether I should pick this up. I really liked Code Geass. It has its faults to be sure, but it's one of my favorite anime of all time. And what makes that possible is primarily Lelouch. I've never felt entirely comfortable with how they kept having him be morally grey at best, but it was so fantastic to see an intelligent character doing cool stuff rather than the more typical dumb guy who believes in his friends winning through sheer willpower (which can be fun too but is way overdone IMHO, whereas really intelligent main characters seem to be much more of a rarity). Lelouch is what made that show work so well for me, and I just can't see having anything be Code Geass without Lelouch. That's not to say that having Lelouch is enough - if they really are bringing back Lelouch for the sequel like has been said in this thread (I hadn't heard about that, but I haven't been paying close attention either), then I think that that show at least has a chance of being good, but it could also be total trash (and given how the original ended, I don't know how you continue it in any way and have it not ruin the ending). I expect that best case, it'll be a fun show but not as good as the original, but we'll have to see.

But all of that being the case, I have a hard time bringing myself to watch Akito the Exiled. It may very well be worth it, but clearly, it needs to be approached with the idea that it's really not Code Geass much as it's set in the same world. So, I don't know. I may pick it up eventually, and I may end up really liking it if I do, but what I want from Code Geass is more Lelouch. Anything else just isn't Code Geass. It would be like calling something a Gundam show when it had nothing to do with Gundams.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2