• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Record of Lodoss War OVA + Chronicles Of The Heroic Knight TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raikuro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Is the TV opening an extra on the dvds or blu-ray? Even if the crappy TV series is unworthy of the full blu-ray treatment, it would be a shame to not have at least the great opening available in higher definition.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:36 am Reply with quote
The TV series is deadweight AFAIC, but if the OVAs look as good as people are saying, it may be worth it to me anyway.

Regarding the anime adaptation:

OVA covers books 1 (gray witch), 3-4 (fire dragon mountain), 6 and 7 (attack on Marmo/Wagnard). Instead of Spark & co, we stick with Parn's group all the way through to the end.

TV covers books 3-4 and 6-7. The plot is more faithful to the books, but the execution IMO isn't very good at all. Also, the whole motivation for books 3-4 rests on a pivotal moment in Book 1, which was significantly changed in the OVA. By not readapting Book 1 first, I really felt like the Fire Dragon Mountain story had its legs cut out from under it.

Books 2 and 5 have never been adapted to anime. Book 2 is a self-contained story set in King Kashue's desert kingdom, and it did get an audio drama. Book 5 consists of three novellas that add a few more tales before heading into the finale.

When the books start coming out in English, I highly recommend checking them out if you love the OVA. There'll be new scenes that you haven't seen before, as well as improved character development (especially on the villain side of things).
sk1199

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:52 am Reply with quote
After all this time, I seriously doubt the books will get an English translation (unless this becomes a monster hit).
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
Seven Seas is translating them. First book comes out 11/7.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Record-of-Lodoss-War-The-Grey-Witch
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
sk1199 wrote:
After all this time, I seriously doubt the books will get an English translation (unless this becomes a monster hit).

Why not? We got a prematurely cancelled publication in France despite not being that much of a fantasy novels country.

_Emi_ wrote:
Seven Seas is translating them. First book comes out 11/7.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Record-of-Lodoss-War-The-Grey-Witch

I immediately pre-ordered the book to express my support but I still need to see the books fifth and sixth in my hands to believe it. Casterman (France) stupidly stopped right after the Mountain of Fire second book (tome 4) and since then...
I don't even dare to dream about seeing the Crystania campaign or other novels coming from Mizuno's game franchises translated.

vanfanel wrote:
Books 2 and 5 have never been adapted to anime. Book 2 is a self-contained story set in King Kashue's desert kingdom, and it did get an audio drama. Book 5 consists of three novellas that add a few more tales before heading into the finale.
When the books start coming out in English, I highly recommend checking them out if you love the OVA. There'll be new scenes that you haven't seen before, as well as improved character development (especially on the villain side of things).

I think the second book was also adapted into a manga (just like the first one).
What kind of villain was better developed in the original novel series? (I found that Ashram was decently rendered in the TV adaptation of the Fire Dragon so I doubt you mean him)
You might also warn people looking for a certain "tourmented" love story to suppress their expectation.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
The Encyclopedia lists the following manga based on The Record of Lodoss War:
The Grey Witch
Chronicles of the Heroic Knight
The Lady of Pharis
Deedlit's Tale
Welcome to Lodoss Island

CPM Manga published them all in English, though they have been out of print for many years.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What kind of villain was better developed in the original novel series? (I found that Ashram was decently rendered in the TV adaptation of the Fire Dragon so I doubt you mean him)

I only saw the TV series once when it first came out, and my memory of it is pretty fuzzy at this point. The OVA version left a much stronger impression.

With that in mind, I found spoiler[Ashram far more compelling in the books, since he had a legitimate beef with Kashue over how Beld was killed. I could understand why the members of his party (Groder and that priest of the war god especially) would follow him. I don't remember this in the TV series, and if it was there it would have had to have been done in flashback, since they didn't redo book 1. There was a bit more to Beld as well, and even Wagnard had more of an arc, and a bit more interesting endgame. Finally, book 5 had a story involving a competent Marmo commander who was stuck between incompetent leadership and trying to admininister conquered territory with a degree of mercy.]

Overall, it just seemed to me that everyone on the Marmo side in the books had more interesting motivations.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:13 am Reply with quote
That godly TV series OP.

TurnerJ wrote:
I also learned why Ortiz dropped out for Deedlit for episode 20-21; she was sick and out of state. And they were rushing the TV dub. Big time. Hence why she was replaced. That was really disappointing, because she was THE reason I loved the OVA dub so much. (Well, one of the many reasons -- Winant, Timoney, John Knox, SImone Grant, Chris Yates, Greg Wolfe, and even Ted Lewis also turned in fine work IMO, although Lewis DID struggle for the first three episodes or so, he improved by the end of the OVA and sounded especially good in the TV series.)

That whole post was really cool info.

Just quoting this part also because I agree, Lisa Ortiz's Deedlit won me over immediately too, right in the first ep of the OVA, made me a huge fan, and hearing her and some of the others back in the first 8 eps of the TV series redoing some of the later OVA stuff was very cool.

vanfanel wrote:
The TV series is deadweight AFAIC, but if the OVAs look as good as people are saying, it may be worth it to me anyway.

Yup worth it. Especially that first episode as mentioned in the review.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the TV series just never clicked and is in dire need of a remake. Still, that OP is one of the greatest anime OPs ever. Pity it had to be attached to a middling tv show. The OVA might have limited animation, but its atmosphere is amazing and gives the feeling of an epic adventure. Good stuff. Glad it got a rerelease and that the novels are finally getting brought over
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
Of course to get it you must swallow the price tag of about 60 something dollars. That's what I see a lot of people charging for this set.

Dude, you're getting two whole series, 40-ish episodes in all. Compared to other releases *cough*Aniplex*cough*NoGameNoLife*cough*ThatOtherOneIDon'tFeelLikeLookingUp, this one's a fair steal.

I'm sorry I'd think 40 something would be a better steal. But anyway, I do realize that the Blu-Ray included jacks the price up a little.

Sixty-five bucks for 13 Blu-Ray episodes of the OVA, and for all 27 DVD episodes of the TV series, seems pretty fair to me. I complain about Aniplex prices all the time, but I see nothing to complain about this. Those who like the TV series can complain about the lack of Blu-Ray through.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
Of course to get it you must swallow the price tag of about 60 something dollars. That's what I see a lot of people charging for this set.

Dude, you're getting two whole series, 40-ish episodes in all. Compared to other releases *cough*Aniplex*cough*NoGameNoLife*cough*ThatOtherOneIDon'tFeelLikeLookingUp, this one's a fair steal.

I'm sorry I'd think 40 something would be a better steal. But anyway, I do realize that the Blu-Ray included jacks the price up a little.

Sixty-five bucks for 13 Blu-Ray episodes of the OVA, and for all 27 DVD episodes of the TV series, seems pretty fair to me. I complain about Aniplex prices all the time, but I see nothing to complain about this. Those who like the TV series can complain about the lack of Blu-Ray through.

Actually I forgot to say Amazon hiked the price up recently and they themselves want about 80 dollars for the set now. It jumps down sometimes to 68 dollars though and every other sell sets it about 60 something dollar range.
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:25 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know why the "next episode" previews have been removed from the episodes and relegated to the extra features? This might bother me after seeing the OVA episodes with the previews attached for so many years. I'm also not thrilled about the forced subtitles when viewing with the Japanese audio, although I understand why this is done. I wish more reviewers would comment on these kinds of things.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
ZenAmako wrote:
Does anyone know why the "next episode" previews have been removed from the episodes and relegated to the extra features?

When this happens with a more recent series, it's a case where the Next Episode preview was released online but didn't actually air with the episode. Hence I'm guessing that with the OVA series it was a case where the Next Episode advertisements weren't included with each OVA release but were used for advertisement in between. Someone just tacked them on later for viewing room screenings and physical releases.

Quote:
I'm also not thrilled about the forced subtitles when viewing with the Japanese audio, although I understand why this is done. I wish more reviewers would comment on these kinds of things.

Honestly, most reviewers (including me) aren't going to notice this unless we check for it, and I usually don't since the only reason I'd have to turn off the subtitles during a Japanese language viewing would be to take a clean screenshot. Besides, that's pretty much the universal standard for anime Blu-Rays these days, so noting it in a review would be about like mentioning the inclusion of trailers for other titles the American company is releasing; it's ubiquitous and expected.

Last edited by Key on Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rosiero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
I'm weirdly disappointed that the episode previews aren't in the show itself here... one of my favourite funny things in the OVA dub is the way Parn says "I will protect the peace of Lodoss... with my life~" I'll miss having that in my viewings.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Yeah, despite its flaws it still would have been nice if they put the TV series episodes on a couple of blu-rays too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3