Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Essential Sentai Teams


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 10223
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:05 am Reply with quote
Considering "Cyborg 009" creator also created the "Super Sentai" franchise, I would say 009 is the essential sentai team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FenixFiesta



Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 2487
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:10 am Reply with quote
Why can't I vote for Rider of Black for Best Hero.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
killjoy_the



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 1502
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
Archer of Red's a heroine. Archer of Black is the dude (who incidentally I want to vote for). Assassin of Red is also a heroine. Why aren't Caster of Red and Rider of Black in the poll?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ouran High School Dropout



Joined: 28 Jun 2015
Posts: 160
Location: Somewhere in MA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:58 am Reply with quote
Wonderful to see Shinesman on anyone's radar! It's one my all-time favorite comedy OVAs. And Lynzee is right about mentioning the English dub--the script is wonderful, and in general well executed.

"I'm gonna die in a Godzilla suit!" -- Princess Shina


Last edited by Ouran High School Dropout on Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
XerBlade



Joined: 11 Jul 2005
Posts: 86
Location: Depletion Garden, Nashville, TN
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Archer of Red's a heroine. Archer of Black is the dude (who incidentally I want to vote for). Assassin of Red is also a heroine. Why aren't Caster of Red and Rider of Black in the poll?

This.
Incidentally, every time Apocrypha has appeared in one of these polls so far this season, there's been a distinct lack of some very basic research. But this one outright breaks the polls.

In other news, it's actually kinda hilarious that a guy placed in the top 10 in last week's Best Heroines poll.

P.S. There are outright villains and serial killers in these polls. Do those still count?
P.P.S. Yo, so you guys painstakingly put practically every character in Fate/Apocrypha (incorrectly) in these polls, but didn't put in a single one of Mahmut's allies from Altair? I'm confused now. Especially considering, all things considered, there are probably more people on the ANN staff who know actual things about Altair than the probably 0 for Fate/Apocrypha (as demonstrated by the other issues).
P.P.P.S. Wouldn't it have been far easier from all angles to just use the Fate Servants' true names and get it over with? Those aren't really spoilers in this one like they are in classic Fate. The show tells us all of them when we first meet them. Of course, you'd have to have at least done enough research to maybe have already found out the actual setting of the show and who the characters are or something to know that....


Last edited by XerBlade on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 4060
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
Just pointing out, is that Gaim never had a team. At most, we had maybe 2 or 3 team up for a few episodes, but it never lasted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
angelmcazares
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 3374
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
My choice for the new poll was an easy pick for me: Reg from Made in Abyss.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Codeanime93



Joined: 28 Jul 2017
Posts: 354
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
If you can believe it, Saint Seiya's characters are about in the same age range as Sailor Moon's characters. Especially jarring is Dragon Shiryu who is aged as being about 15 during the show despite looking like he's in his early 20s and voiced in the Japanese version by a manly sounding Hirotaka Suzuoki.

In fact all the characters in that show suffer from "younger than they look" syndrome, even Athena herself. And Seiya himself is younger than Sailor Moon's character was by a year when they started the show. Yet again he's drawn like he's about 16 or 17.


Last edited by Codeanime93 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DmonHiro



Joined: 06 Jan 2007
Posts: 3068
Location: Romania, Bucharest
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
What's funny is that the frilly action duo of the first season ever were considered too violent. And it's kind of true. By kids shows standards Cure Black and Cure White kicked so much ass they would have been at home in Dragon Ball. The phisical violence was toned down from then on to the point that the current Precure has almost none of it. Which is sad because all the A La Mode attacks looks and act the exact same except for the color.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
octopodpie
ANN Associate Editor


Joined: 02 May 2011
Posts: 1361
Location: Washington State
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I've reset the Fate/Apocrypha characters. I used the official TV website but I should have figured that Mordred would go the same route as Arturia in this case. I'm going to go ahead and disregard the rest of "assume the worst of the author" crap being thrown around in here though.

If you voted for one of the Fate characters before, please go back and do it again.

Quote:
In other news, it's actually kinda hilarious that a guy placed in the top 10 in last week's Best Heroines poll.


That was intentional. They were included in the original Japanese heroine poll, which they won. Astolfo presents feminine and their canon gender is listed as a "secret." Interpret that as Japanese "wink wink, I'm actually a guy hee hee" trope if you want, that probably has some to do with it, but I'd rather categorize a character on intentional presentation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
FilthyCasual



Joined: 01 Jun 2015
Posts: 935
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I've reset the Fate/Apocrypha characters. I used the official TV website but I should have figured that Mordred would go the same route as Arturia in this case. I'm going to go ahead and disregard the rest of "assume the worst of the author" crap being thrown around in here though.

If you voted for one of the Fate characters before, please go back and do it again.

Quote:
In other news, it's actually kinda hilarious that a guy placed in the top 10 in last week's Best Heroines poll.


That was intentional. They were included in the original Japanese heroine poll, which they won. Astolfo presents feminine and their canon gender is listed as a "secret." Interpret that as Japanese "wink wink, I'm actually a guy hee hee" trope if you want, that probably has some to do with it, but I'd rather categorize a character on intentional presentation.

Still seeing Archer of Red (a girl) in the hero poll. Also it looks like Amano Keita from Gamers! is missing too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AsuraTheDestructor



Joined: 24 Dec 2013
Posts: 217
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:50 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
What's funny is that the frilly action duo of the first season ever were considered too violent. And it's kind of true. By kids shows standards Cure Black and Cure White kicked so much ass they would have been at home in Dragon Ball. The phisical violence was toned down from then on to the point that the current Precure has almost none of it. Which is sad because all the A La Mode attacks looks and act the exact same except for the color.


Not in all the seasons.

Heartcatch in may ways is more action heavy, as is Go Princess.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lostbirdinatree



Joined: 25 Sep 2013
Posts: 56
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
For the poll, "Hidekiri" should actually be "Higekiri". It's in his backstory that he got this name from being used to slice off a dude's beard (hige).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 10223
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:10 am Reply with quote
This list came at an appropriate time as Gatchaman creator Tatsuo Yoshida died 40 years ago on 9/5. Also, next month is the 45th anniversary of the classic anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yuna49



Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 2403
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:37 am Reply with quote
Princess Principal continues to score highly among ANN users with Ange placing second just behind Riko in the heroine poll (I voted for both). My sense is that it has less of a following in Japan and in other parts of the Western fandom. For the latter, is it the lack of exposure due to being carried on Amazon?

In my attempt to get a sense of pre-orders for PP, I came across the two official dakimakura covers, one each for Ange and Princess. By dakimakura standards, both are pretty modest.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group