• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: It's pretty hilarious that the game mentions outright stuff like death threats made to the heroes and has Beep-0 actually bleep swearing at times, all within Mario's presence. It's got great gameplay, and a string of commands to win a first round no damage victory is certainly possible, which is majorly satisfying to see. Now this is a crossover that does it right, and the Rabbids actually aren't halfway as annoying as they are in their own franchise (and that's quite a feat to pull off). If only Mario and Dragon Quest could team up again and do things right as an RPG instead of wasting both IPs on Japanese Monopoly, then they could have another potential winner like this.

Miiverse: All people are doing with it now is posting nonsense with alternate troll accounts in an attempt to be as immature and edgy as possible before the thing finally shuts down. Some people really need to learn to grow up.

Knack II: I don't care what annoying naysayers say, I'm happy for this. Hopefully Knack II goes into more story detail than its predecessor because the previous title left me with so many questions. I hope we learn more about Knack, the world he inhabits, and the whole humans vs. goblins conflict. The combat is also smoother now too.
xchampion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I look forward to this column every week. I was a little sad when Todd wasn't going to write the column anymore, but Dustin has proven to be a worthy successor. The commentary is always on point, and the column is always enjoyable. Now let's talk about some games.

Yakuza
I've never played the series, but all the hype for the remakes are making me want to try this series. It seems everyone is raving about it.

Mario + Rabbids
I want to to play this game, but I've fallen behind on my switch releases. I'll probably get it after I finally buy Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I may even get Pokkan Tournament Deluxe before it too.

Destiny 2
I played the first Destiny and its expansions and enjoyed it for what it was. Sadly I never did any raids since I don't have friends(I'm only being slightly serious) so I've never played all it's content. It seems the sequel will follow the same structure so I'm a little disappointed it that respect, but if it gets good reviews then I'm there.

No More Heroes
I can't wait for this game and I love this series so much. I hope we get remastered version of the first 2 games on switch. That would be freaking amazing. Too bad we have to wait til probably the end of next year, but at least we know it's coming.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
If only Mario and Dragon Quest could team up again and do things right as an RPG instead of wasting both IPs on Japanese Monopoly,

Given the Mario's series shakiness on story....don't know honestly.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
If only Mario and Dragon Quest could team up again and do things right as an RPG instead of wasting both IPs on Japanese Monopoly, then they could have another potential winner like this.

Said "waste" on "Japanese Monopoly" was part of the highly-successful Itadaki Street series, which has been around since 1991 on the Famicom. In fact, upon a quick search, there's going to be a brand new entry coming out this year in Japan for PS4 & Vita featuring a Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy crossover.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Mario RPGs have generally had fairly fun and whimsical stories as is the norm for them. Blending it with the mostly lighthearted storytelling of Dragon Quest doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.

Lord Geo wrote:
Said "waste" on "Japanese Monopoly" was part of the highly-successful Itadaki Street series, which has been around since 1991 on the Famicom. In fact, upon a quick search, there's going to be a brand new entry coming out this year in Japan for PS4 & Vita featuring a Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy crossover.

I'm aware of the series, and I've researched it thanks to TCRF, so I know it's popular there. However, I find it a waste in that they didn't make more interesting use of both IPs. It just felt like squandered potential; I'm not bashing Fortune Street for existing. As for the new game you mentioned, there have already been previous Itadaki Street games that crossed over both franchises, so the use of both of those IPs together isn't anything new.

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
The Rabbids' visit to the Mushroom Kingdom has finally caused their notorious wackiness to settle, it seems...Perhaps for the better...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:43 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
s
Mario RPGs have generally have had fairly fun and whimsical stories as is the norm for them.

Fun and whimsical doesn't make them good or memorable though which is more or less why they seem to be remembered more for their characters (and sometimes how they're written) then the story themselves. That's not saying they can't have good stories as Super Paper Mario was one such example...(too bad people complained about there being too much text).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
That's not saying they can't have good stories as Super Paper Mario was one such example...(too bad people complained about there being too much text).

I agree, Super Paper Mario was a Mario title with a very well-written story. It wasn't just too much text, it was the fact it went platform RPG that earned it people's ire. Then again, the Mario RPG fandom is impossible to please.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to miss Miiverse, even if it's because I want to post images on Splatoon 2 without using a social media account.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

The Mario RPGs themselves have had some very nice entries in them though. The only real stinker among them is Sticker Star, which is also the only one witha bare-bones "defeat Bowser and rescue Peach" plot.

belvadeer wrote:
I agree, Super Paper Mario was a Mario title with a very well-written story. It wasn't just too much text, it was the fact it went platform RPG that earned it people's ire. Then again, the Mario RPG fandom is impossible to please.

There's also the fact that it was very, very easy, even for Paper Mario standards. I liked Super Paper Mario, but the main gripe I had with it is that while it felt like a Paper Mario game, it didn't feel like a Super Mario game due to nearly all of it taking place in dimensions where the standard Mario enemies and environments didn't exist.

Also, there was a very nice touch in Mairo & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story: Plots in those games tend to be nonsensical (though they really got it organized with Paper Jam), but I really liked the stinger in which spoiler[Bowser was grateful enough to Peach to bake a cake and send it to her]. More than any other moment in the entire franchise, this shows that deep down inside, Bowser really cares.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
There's also the fact that it was very, very easy, even for Paper Mario standards. I liked Super Paper Mario, but the main gripe I had with it is that while it felt like a Paper Mario game, it didn't feel like a Super Mario game due to nearly all of it taking place in dimensions where the standard Mario enemies and environments didn't exist.

I could tell you stories of the constant posts about cries of "It's not turn-based, there's no strategy!" that I've seen. Some fans really don't know how to lighten up and have fun with something. They just feel the need to complain about it.

Quote:
Also, there was a very nice touch in Mairo & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story: Plots in those games tend to be nonsensical (though they really got it organized with Paper Jam), but I really liked the stinger in which spoiler[Bowser was grateful enough to Peach to bake a cake and send it to her]. More than any other moment in the entire franchise, this shows that deep down inside, Bowser really cares.

I haven't yet played Inside Story or Dream Team, but I have seen the cutscene. The RPGs do allow for more depth of character due to the need for more detailed writing, and giving depth to the Mario crew is always a nice touch. Dream Team especially gave us a deeper look into Luigi's heart than any other title, and I think it's a wonderful what you learn about him.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:28 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I could tell you stories of the constant posts about cries of "It's not turn-based, there's no strategy!" that I've seen. Some fans really don't know how to lighten up and have fun with something. They just feel the need to complain about it.

I'm not surprised, considering this was the same segment of the Mario fanbase that refused to give the first Paper Mario a chance simply because it wasn't the Super Mario RPG 2 they wanted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1