• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kumamiko Sub BD/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
The first eleven episodes were uneven but overall fairly okay, providing you don't mind a middle-school girl being fetishised. I really liked the ending song, thought it was quite catchy.

That last episode however with its psychological horror was like something out of Higurashi, minus the gore.
nechronius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
<----

Another anime series deserving of a left arrow pointing to the avatar. No, it wasn't the worst series ever overall. It's just that the ending was such a letdown compared to all of it that came before. Not that what came before was THAT great, so the really disappointing ending was just the icing on the cake. I just wish that the series could have treated the main character with a little more dignity and respect instead of just being the punch line of a not funny joke.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really watch the show because the surprise sexual jokes in episode 1 were pretty off putting, but I saw bits and pieces and know what happened with the end. I mean, the show wasn't as cute and innocent as it first seemed to be, but that ending was still pretty distressing. I feel bad for the mangaka.
If the story was actually a psychological horror/drama about Machi's mental state then the ending choice would've been better. I would've watched the series if that had been the case.

mangamuscle wrote:
Could have been worse, at the end they could have shown spoiler[Machi twenty years in the future when Natsu is dead (bears live to 30 and he seem to have be born when Machi was very young), the whole village is deserted and she has to forage in the mountain for food since she escapes every time someone tries to take her to a city.]

That would've been a more interesting ending.......

Last edited by harminia on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
I didn't really watch the show because the surprise sexual jokes in episode 1 were pretty off putting. . .

Yeah, that was unfortunate, as it's definitely not the norm for the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Severefun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:48 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
I'm still wondering, "What kind of ending was that?"

I do hope [...]this become a cautionary tale for any mangaka to not blindly trust that an anime original ending they have not read beforehand will be ok.

I want to correct the record here, as seemingly the only person who's read the manga (it is obscure, but it also has had an official print US release for about a year)... the anime ending isn't original per se, it's an expansion and adaptation of the end of volume 3. I would say the most significant change is in tone. spoiler[In the manga chapter, Machi has a nightmare about the audience throwing rocks at her while performing, so she refuses to go. The anime turns her nightmare into a panic attack during the performance, and crucially, ]the ending spoiler[where she mentally regresses in Natsu's arms] is pretty much verbatim from the manga, but using it to end the series makes it seem more dramatic and final. The manga ultimately plays it off as just another in the string of "Machi gets fatally embarrassed" gags and basically resets her in the next chapter (and continues for multiple volumes from there).

The anime is just taking the lampshade off the emotional cruelty so much of the manga's humor revolves around by treating Machi as subject instead of object for once. It's debatable how much of that was intentional, mind...
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:16 am Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
I hate the ending too. It makes me regret watching the show.
Quoting Nagato Yuki I regret nothing. I hope people can watch the first ten episodes for the charming stories they are (possible sexual harassment aside). I almost agree with Mr. Martin that Yoshio had no sexual intent, but his ultimate treatment of Machi and the relationship with Hibiki says to me that he is an emotional abuser at least. Hard to get past the ending though...
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:56 am Reply with quote
Severefun wrote:
I want to correct the record here, as seemingly the only person who's read the manga (it is obscure, but it also has had an official print US release for about a year)... the anime ending isn't original per se, it's an expansion and adaptation of the end of volume 3. I would say the most significant change is in tone. spoiler[In the manga chapter, Machi has a nightmare about the audience throwing rocks at her while performing, so she refuses to go. The anime turns her nightmare into a panic attack during the performance, and crucially, ]the ending spoiler[where she mentally regresses in Natsu's arms] is pretty much verbatim from the manga, but using it to end the series makes it seem more dramatic and final. The manga ultimately plays it off as just another in the string of "Machi gets fatally embarrassed" gags and basically resets her in the next chapter (and continues for multiple volumes from there).

The anime is just taking the lampshade off the emotional cruelty so much of the manga's humor revolves around by treating Machi as subject instead of object for once. It's debatable how much of that was intentional, mind...
I also recall that the one specific objection the manga's author made in that deleted tweet was about something Yoshio said, presumably referring to his speech about how spoiler[it's okay to force Machi to go through with the performance because the future of the village depends on her]. But yeah, even if he never said it that explicitly in the manga, that sort of thinking isn't really inconsistent with how he had treated her prior to that.

mangamuscle wrote:
I do hope the director never gets to work in anime ever again
Hate to break this to you, but Kiyoshi Matsuda is still around and is heavily involved in this season's Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul. The ANN encyclopedia entry only mentions his work as episode director for episodes 12 and 20, as well as key animation work in episode 4, but the series' top credits also describe his job as 演出チーフ, which I'm guessing is a role comparable to "assistant director" (in the context of TV anime 演出 is usually translated as "episode director", which makes the translations awkward when the job description is applied to someone working on the whole series, like Naoko Yamada in Sound! Euphonium). Judging by this chart, him being a "chief episode director" likely means that he has little to nothing to do with outlining the story. But yeah, it'll probably be years until he's entrusted with the role of series director (監督) again, assuming that Matsuda himself will even want to go through that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2