• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Netflix's Live-Action Death Note Film Director Deletes Twitter After Harassment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
Guess What? He got to make an adaption of Death Note while y'all didn't.

Okay, Adam, if you're having trouble telling which ones on the Internet are "trolls"...
(Apparently, directors, like presidents, are free from all blame or public censure if they Win-Win-Win! Razz )

Quote:
He gets to direct King Kong vs Godzilla while yall sit on your butt and doing nothing.

And....that's a GOOD thing, right?
Am I a bad person for considering myself lucky to have the personal life-opportunity not to direct King Kong Vs. Godzilla, leave both originals alone, and feel free to pretend "Kong: Skull Island" never existed? Confused

FWIW, it wasn't particularly fun for Kong's director, either--Jordan Vogt-Roberts' Internet "troll" battles decided to take on Honest Trailers, and when he made a so-there stunt of helping HT Kong: Skull Island, he found himself getting a little too Honest about Warner's script, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saTFPCuQfvw (Some language NSFW, because big budget FX directors now talk and dress like gang/fratboys.)
Be ye warned, Adam--Escape the Warner Franchise-Universe dungeons while you can.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
If you're going to have social media presence on the internet, then you've got to have a thick skin.

By your logic people in everyday life should have thick skin even when they're called racial slurs or threatened with violence 9 times out of 10 for no reason. It's not that some people need to have thick skin (though some should) but that others need to know that sometimes there are things you shouldn't say especially if it has no meaningful purpose behind it.

Araki wrote:
"Mixed reviews". Mixed. Lol.
Also it wasn't the changes that bothered most people as this biased article tries to imply,

Which is strange since a good number of the complaints did actually revolve around the movie changing certain things, hell when it was originally being considered as a theatrical film you had a lot of people worrying themselves to death over how the movie would be tweaked from the source material (like most adaptations). So saying those changes didn't bother most people isn't really true.

Lord Oink wrote:

I have zero sympathy for the guy. Playing a professional victim can be profitable, and people know it.

What people?

Lord Oink wrote:
Bait and mock people until one person says 'lol kill urself douche' and then you can grieve how you were viciously attacked and threatened by evil internet trolls and how you were almost murdered. Seen it so many times before.

....Just because you think you've seen it many times before does not in anyway justify this behavior since you've had people actually kill themselves over stuff like this. Even if you want to throw up the Megan Kelley's of the world as examples of people playing victims and getting a book deal (and a TV hosting gig) out of deal it's still a terrible thing to do.
ArnisEnthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to mention that harassment is still inexcusable even if the target of said harassment is using it to play the victim. You can feel no sympathy for the target of the harassment and still acknowledge that harassment (especially over something essentially meaningless like this) is bad.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha, seriously some people actually tries to be needlessly emphatic/sympathetic. He could've considered that making an ADAPTATION of his own would result a backlash from the very start. Besides, it is a normal thing happening in the industry since a long time ago, he could've seen it coming. I am not one to send death threats or hate mails and the likes, but if I were in his position, I would've put it number 1 in my priority to not piss billions of fans who already liked an established work.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
I am not one to send death threats or hate mails and the likes, but if I were in his position, I would've put it number 1 in my priority to not piss billions of fans who already liked an established work.

2 things wrong here

1. Death Note does not have that many fans.

2. When you're adapting an existing work to another medium or even making an original work it's pretty much a guarantee you're going to upset or disappoint audiences one way of the other even when you don't try to as we humans are picky about things especially the media we consume.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I generally believe there's no valid reason for death threats unless, MAYBE (and that's a big MAYBE), the other person threatened your family to begin with, but even then I still think there are more civilized and sane ways to resolve issues than the threat of violence. I hated the Death Note movie, as an adaptation and as an independent film, but hating a product should never serve as a reason to threaten anyone's life. I'd probably stay clear of his movies from now on if possible.

Having said that, I totally forgot that he's helming Godzilla vs Kong until people started mentioning it recently, and I am truly bummed out about that. At this point, I'm hoping for a miracle: that maybe he'll choose to leave that project in pursuit of something else before he ruins that too. His recent track record--the shitty Blair Witch sequel, this horrible Death Note movie, and the mediocre Outcast series--gives me no faith whatsoever in his abilities as a director to make a good, solid movie, and man, I WANT Godzilla vs. Kong to be awesome so bad! I guess all we can do is keep our fingers crossed that he does better than expected (and for those who thinks he's great anyway, I'm glad you have nothing to worry about).

Last edited by razberry_yum on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
While the death threats are 100% uncalled for, the harsh criticism is not uncalled for, he should report the users making said threats and suck it up on the rest of it (also, don't feed the trolls). This is a good lesson for Hollywood to learn, the fans do not want live action anime adaptations unless they respect the source, if they can't do it, than don't make it.
Adrian Robotnik

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry for this guy, apparently he did a very grave mistake to direct a shitty movie (almost) nobody would like! Very Happy
Seriously, I really hope they don't make a sequel, or, at least, change director, screenwriters and other people who create this abomination!
Jay Leon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Look I never saw the movie myself (want to but just haven't found the time to) but honestly all these people that get angry over live action adaptations really just make me mad. I watched Avatar: The Last Airbender religiously, Dragonball and Dragonball Z religiously, Speed Racer just a little bit, and Ghost In The Shell recently and I'll say this. I loved all of those live action adaptations. I still watch Avatar's live action adaptation and wish that it could get a part 2 but cause of people that get so critical over an adaptation making a few changes, it's not happening. If you're going to watch an adaptation, watch it with the expectation that it won't follow the story you're used to and you'll be just fine with whatever happens and maybe even generally pleased with how much of the original story was kept in. I've seen bad reviews of Death Note but I bet that if I watched it myself, I'd probably enjoy it.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Jay Leon wrote:
Look I never saw the movie myself (want to but just haven't found the time to) but honestly all these people that get angry over live action adaptations really just make me mad. I watched Avatar: The Last Airbender religiously, Dragonball and Dragonball Z religiously, Speed Racer just a little bit, and Ghost In The Shell recently and I'll say this. I loved all of those live action adaptations. I still watch Avatar's live action adaptation and wish that it could get a part 2 but cause of people that get so critical over an adaptation making a few changes, it's not happening. If you're going to watch an adaptation, watch it with the expectation that it won't follow the story you're used to and you'll be just fine with whatever happens and maybe even generally pleased with how much of the original story was kept in. I've seen bad reviews of Death Note but I bet that if I watched it myself, I'd probably enjoy it.

No offense but just because you loved the adaptations doesn't mean that other peoples' criticisms of them aren't valid. I mean, good for you that you loved them, but why should the end-all-be-all judgement of those movies be based on your opinion of them alone?

Plus, I would argue there have been live action adaptations that seem to be pretty well received...just look at how well the Gintama live action movie is doing. The Rurouni Kenshin adaptations were pretty solid too, imho. For the failed attempts, maybe the problem isn't just with the audience being too militant but also with the filmmakers themselves who choose to completely scrap almost everything that people loved about the source material because they believe they have the artistic free reign to do so. I just think that if filmmakers are going to take someone else's material and change it so that it's almost unrecognizable to the original source, why not just come up with their own new idea instead because it's obvious they didn't like most of the things that made the original what it is anyway. They'd spare themselves a lot of grief that way.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
This whole internet trend of giving credence to both "sides" when one side is clearly in the wrong needs to stop, honestly.
So everyone who criticized the Death Note movie on Twitter was "clearly in the wrong"?

Did you even read their reply or are you just trying to pick a fight? They're referring to blaming the director for being harassed because he responded to the jerks with an admittedly not so mature reply. Not even close to your ridiculous "you think the one's who hate the movie are WRONG!??" response.

I don't care how much you hate the movie. No one should have to deal with harassment on their social media because of it.
Jay Leon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:39 am Reply with quote
razberry_yum wrote:
Jay Leon wrote:

No offense but just because you loved the adaptations doesn't mean that other peoples' criticisms of them aren't valid. I mean, good for you that you loved them, but why should the end-all-be-all judgement of those movies be based on your opinion of them alone?

Plus, I would argue there have been live action adaptations that seem to be pretty well received...just look at how well the Gintama live action movie is doing. The Rurouni Kenshin adaptations were pretty solid too, imho. For the failed attempts, maybe the problem isn't just with the audience being too militant but also with the filmmakers themselves who choose to completely scrap almost everything that people loved about the source material because they believe they have the artistic free reign to do so. I just think that if filmmakers are going to take someone else's material and change it so that it's almost unrecognizable to the original source, why not just come up with their own new idea instead because it's obvious they didn't like most of the things that made the original what it is anyway. They'd spare themselves a lot of grief that way.
I think you aren't getting my point here exactly. 1. Not saying that other people's negative opinions of the movie don't matter, never once said that. Just said that they make me mad. And even with that, it's still slightly taken out of context of what I really meant cause I just mean that people are too critical of live action adaptations. 2. The examples you used were made in Japan. Which adds to another point, how most anime fans think that any adaptation made in Japan is the best thing ever even though I have seen some of Japan's adaptations and they do the very thing that you said you hated about the live action adaptations made here in America, they cut important stuff out and just go whichever way they want to with it. It's the exact same way with both sides. Only difference is the language that is spoken and the white washing but let's be honest about the complaint on the latter here, most anime characters aren't even drawn to look asian. Death Note, though, I'll give the creators of the anime credit cause a few characters in there probably looked as similar to real life asians as you can get without going full on Aku No Hana style with it but others make the characters look more similar to white americans.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:19 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
While the death threats are 100% uncalled for, the harsh criticism is not uncalled for, he should report the users making said threats and suck it up on the rest of it (also, don't feed the trolls). This is a good lesson for Hollywood to learn, the fans do not want live action anime adaptations unless they respect the source, if they can't do it, than don't make it.

The fans don't all want the same thing so the idea of respecting the source is going to be different among individuals there's also the fact these adaptations aren't soley for fans familiar with the material (that and retaining certain things from the source material wouldn't be....practical).

razberry_yum wrote:
why not just come up with their own new idea instead because it's obvious they didn't like most of the things that made the original what it is anyway. They'd spare themselves a lot of grief that way.

Because original ideas are not a surefire recipe for success and if they bomb (which they tend to do) studios are not going to feel enthusiastic to back such things. That's a good reason almost everything you see in media is an adaptation of something or has ideas gleamed from other sources.
anddo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
How about Hollywood and Netflix stops wasting everyone's time on these pointless adaptations to prevent incidents like this?
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Jay Leon wrote:
I think you aren't getting my point here exactly. 1. Not saying that other people's negative opinions of the movie don't matter, never once said that. Just said that they make me mad. And even with that, it's still slightly taken out of context of what I really meant cause I just mean that people are too critical of live action adaptations.

Pardons, because you kept on mentioning how you loved the movies, I mistook that as you inferring everyone else's negative opinions of them are therefore wrong. My mistake.

Jay Leon wrote:
2. The examples you used were made in Japan. Which adds to another point, how most anime fans think that any adaptation made in Japan is the best thing ever even though I have seen some of Japan's adaptations and they do the very thing that you said you hated about the live action adaptations made here in America, they cut important stuff out and just go whichever way they want to with it. It's the exact same way with both sides. Only difference is the language that is spoken and the white washing but let's be honest about the complaint on the latter here, most anime characters aren't even drawn to look asian. Death Note, though, I'll give the creators of the anime credit cause a few characters in there probably looked as similar to real life asians as you can get without going full on Aku No Hana style with it but others make the characters look more similar to white americans.

Well, it if makes you feel any better, I'm one anime fan that absolutely did not think the Japanese adaptations were good either. I'm just...generally puzzled by some of the drastic changes that Adam Wingard made. I mean, just the difference between his Light and the Light we know in the animanga series is kind of astounding. The Light meeting Ryuk scene pretty much sums up how off-base he went: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cixE6d9gW9A. Like, how does one, who appears to be familiar with the anime or manga version of Light, even come up with the movie version of Light and think that's honoring the source material in any way??

As for the white-washing issue, I actually never thought this American Death Note movie was as guilty of white-washing as some other movies are, since L is played by a black actor and Watari is played by a Japanese actor. Plus, if a certain country adapts a story, you would expect them to populate it with their own race (for example, an Indian adaptation of Death Note would probably be composed of mainly Indian actors), and Hollywood generally still casts in favor of the racial majority in America. Casting has definitely improved over the years, but there's still a lonnnng ways to go. So I kind of expected it enough to not be as up in arms about it as many folks were. Frankly, I don't care what skin color the actors are, as long as they embody the characters well and put in a good performance. Unfortunately, with this movie, I did not think any of the actors did that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6