• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Netflix's Live-Action Death Note Film Director Deletes Twitter After Harassment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:14 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
How about Hollywood and Netflix stops wasting everyone's time on these pointless adaptations to prevent incidents like this?

People can and will be harassed for just about anything, any excuse of flimsy justification can be enough. So know, Hollywood and Netflix stopping anime adaptions won't prevent future incidents like this, people will just be harassed for other reasons.
0nsen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:44 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
This whole internet trend of giving credence to both "sides" when one side is clearly in the wrong needs to stop, honestly.

True, he was clearly in the wrong for making this movie. The other side only reacted in kind and didn't do as much damage as him to anime as a whole.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:36 am Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:

True, he was clearly in the wrong for making this movie. The other side only reacted in kind and didn't do as much damage as him to anime as a whole.

You could just be a bit more honest with your criticisms instead of unnecessarily being backhanded about it.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:
In Japan people do not worry about such stuff. The Japanese film industry has been adapting manga into movies for many decades now (Rose of Versailles had a live action movie adaptation well over 40 years ago) and people there are used to it.

to be fair, that's because it's Japanese manga being adapted to a Japanese movie.
Generally there aren't complaints when a Western (i.e. American) source is adapted to a Western movie (unless there's like some major whitewashing going on for a particular character)

The Japanese don't complain when they Koreans adapt a Japanese manga into a movie like Oldboy and the Koreans don't complain when the Japanese adapted a mahwa into an animated film.

Also, notions like "white washing" and "cultural appropriation" are present only in Anglo American culture. That is, feeling insulted because someone adapted the material by casting actors of the "wrong race" or that the "wrong race" adapted it. In other words, these are fundamentally racist notions. Now, regarding Death Note, I think that some fans might have interpreted the manga/anime as being a holy scripture and it's adaptation as heresy. In Japan I think that fans take these shounen manga titles less seriously in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6