• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: RWBY Web Series' Volume 4 Japanese Dub Trailer Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
RWBY's success reminds me of Kemono Friends in that the bad CG did not hinder its popularity, except the latter has endearing characters and a compelling story.

cute looking girls really can take your franchise a long way.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
rtil wrote:
RWBY's success reminds me of Kemono Friends in that the bad CG did not hinder its popularity, except the latter has endearing characters and a compelling story.

cute looking girls really can take your franchise a long way.

RWbY at least looks better with time Kemomo stays bad CGi but RWBY has had clear visual improvements since its first episodes.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm impressed by how popular this has gotten (in the US at least). Was at Target recently and they had RWBY posters in stock. Of course there's merchandise at Hot Topic and those places too, but I was surprised to see it in a big-box store.
Can't speak to the quality of the show though as I've never watched it.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Cerceaux wrote:
I'm impressed by how popular this has gotten (in the US at least). Was at Target recently and they had RWBY posters in stock. Of course there's merchandise at Hot Topic and those places too, but I was surprised to see it in a big-box store.
I'm sure this show is a big gateway for American anime fans despite it not being from Japan.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow this has a serious voice cast.
MJKS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
I'm sure this show is a big gateway for American anime fans despite it not being from Japan.

Not least because one point of access for it is Crunchyroll.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:50 am Reply with quote
Here's the new voice actors for the Japanese dub.

Rie Kugimiya (Oscar) - Alphonse Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist), Happy (Fairy Tail), Kagura (Gintama)
Toru Okawa (Watts) - Roy Mustang (Fullmetal Alchemist), Tokyo Ghoul (Kureo Mado), Soul Eater (Death Scythe)
Shioya Tsubasa (Tyrian) - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Will A. Zeppeli), Science Ninja Team Gatchaman (Jinpei the Swallow), Sailor Moon (Misha)
Akio Ōtsuka (Hazel) - One Piece (Blackbeard), Bleach (Shunsui Kyōraku)

Funny fact: Oscar's english voice actor used to play Alphonse Elric in Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood anime, a role that Kugimiya also played in the Japanese dub.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:08 am Reply with quote
Cerceaux wrote:

It's one of those things where everything improved over time. Not to say that it was at any one point "bad" but if you look at the first episode and compare it to the most recent, it's like an entirely different show.

In terms of acting, visuals and even plot, everything has evolved to amazing levels.
John J. Ronald

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad it seems to be doing well enough in Japan to screen theatrically and I've been importing and collecting the Japanese Limited Edition Blu-Rays. They have both audio tracks, so you can still watch the show in English (with optional Jp. subtitles) if you want to, and the special features are in English with Japanese subtitles. Plus each Limited Edition has some pretty sweet artwork for collectors as well.

I've enjoyed RWBY since Volume 1 and it just keeps getting better. I watch it all in English first but I enjoy going back to the story and watching it in Japanese for fun. My only complaint is that they use "dubtitles", i.e. the subtitles are just the ADR script recapitulated. It's more or less correct, but I know enough Japanese to spot differences...i.e. Neon Kat is much more blunt in Japanese, she tells Yang "you have big tits!" (ooki oppai) where in English she just just says "aren't you a little top-heavy?"

Still see a fair bit of RWBY cosplay at Anime conventions, too.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Cerceaux wrote:

It's pretty much every weeb's wet dream. Making an Amerianime and putting it on a big boy anime site like Crunchyroll rather than having it play on Nick or CN like a typical cartoon. It's like the new Megatokyo or whatever for Americans who want to 'make their own anime'
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1