• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Strike Adds The Garden of Sinners Film Series

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaRoss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully these get added to the Canadian Amazon Prime video service. I would love to be able to watch these without having to try to hunt down Aniplex's initial releases.
xchampion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
This is a pretty big deal. These movies have never been available to stream before, and the physical versions are still pretty expensive. I'm still pretty surprised they are not on Hulu considering they have been getting a lot of Aniplex shows recently.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
The most expensive anime film series can now be watched in the most expensive streaming service. That's... cool?
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
This is a pretty big deal. These movies have never been available to stream before, and the physical versions are still pretty expensive. I'm still pretty surprised they are not on Hulu considering they have been getting a lot of Aniplex shows recently.

They were available for rental on the PlayStation Network, I watched them there.
Each movie was like $2.99.
Still cheaper than the limited quantity Aniplex offered for physical release.

I enjoyed them, but not too sure about the rewatch value for me.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
The most expensive anime film series can now be watched in the most expensive streaming service. That's... cool?

Only the most expensive anime streaming service for those that didn't already have Prime. If one already had Prime, it is a lower monthly subscription cost than any other anime subscription service in the US except HIDIVE.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Only the most expensive anime streaming service for those that didn't already have Prime.

You do realize that is a cage right? This is no different that getting i.e. a verizon contract and getting sling at half price. The key phrase here is "as long as you par for".
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
Only the most expensive anime streaming service for those that didn't already have Prime.

You do realize that is a cage right? This is no different that getting i.e. a verizon contract and getting sling at half price. The key phrase here is "as long as you par for".

Sure, but it's also no different from saying if I subscribe to any streaming service that I am paying for shows that I will never watch. The value proposition involves more than just price, and will vary for different people. Even a really cheap service isn't a good value if it only has exactly one thing I want to watch (e.g. HiDive and LoGH) that I don't get from other sources.

Some bundles make more sense than others (Amazon Prime shipping benefits have less of a connection with streaming anime than the rest of the Netflix or Hulu portfolios do), but since I don't watch Netflix but do buy things on Amazon, I would rather a new anime be bundled with Amazon than be bundled with a bunch of Netflix shows I don't watch. YMMV.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
8-film series plus 2 sequels now streaming

...You mean 7-film series plus 1 epilogue/sort-of-sequel OVA plus 1 random spin-off film plus 1 random side story OVA....

On a separate note, it still really bugs me that "the Garden of sinners," the subtitle and not main title of the series, became the official Western title for the series. That's just kinda dumb. Then again, changed Western titles for anime tend to be far worse than this (and some, like #$^^&#$ "Case Closed," keep reminding us about themselves until the end of time because the series lasts for all eternity... on a series that already had a perfectly good and fitting English title, so there was no reason to make up a new one to begin with).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
it's also no different from saying if I subscribe to any streaming service that I am paying for shows that I will never watch.

No, they *are* different. One is bundling, say, I will sell you this liter of milk only if you buy this loaf of bread (since you like bread, you do not mind), the other is simply a bad decision (buying something you do not need nor use).
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex film release on streaming sites is a big deal. I hope they get the Kizumonogatari films next! And I'd like to check out the Blue Exorcist film, even though it's filler.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:11 pm Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
Quote:
8-film series plus 2 sequels now streaming

...You mean 7-film series plus 1 epilogue/sort-of-sequel OVA plus 1 random spin-off film plus 1 random side story OVA....

Yeah, the phrasing is a little misleading, in my opinion. This is basically 8 films of content, total. The spin-off/side-story stuff was not really worth the time and if they were even shown in theaters to technically make them "movies", they are, in actuality, just random shorts.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

My point is, a lot of people have Prime. To any of them, Anime Strike looks like the cheap spread.

There is also the fact that while it could be argued they have "stolen" some titles that other services would have gotten if they didn't exist, there are also those they've gotten that no other service had (or showed any indication they would), with this being the latest example.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:36 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
My point is, a lot of people have Prime. To any of them, Anime Strike looks like the cheap spread.

It no doubt it looks like a tasty morsel, but it still is in fact the lure to a cage.

Quote:
There is also the fact that while it could be argued they have "stolen" some titles that other services would have gotten if they didn't exist, there are also those they've gotten that no other service had (or showed any indication they would), with this being the latest example.

For us (the rest of the world) those shows are still unavailable since Anime Strike is USA only. There is a higher probability that Crunchy would stream it outside the USA.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:

It no doubt it looks like a tasty morsel, but it still is in fact the lure to a cage.

Only if you don't already have Prime does this kind of suck! If you have Prime, as many do, and use it on a regular basis, this is not a bad deal, I'm not sure why you're struggling so much to understand TheAncientOne. I definitely sympathize with those outside of the service area, but you're acting like those who already have Prime are still get swindled. Nah dude. I am actually saving money now because I dropped Hulu and Funimation. I already pay for Prime and use it to get free shipping multiple times per month, I also listen to music on their service for free, and now I pay a minor $5 per month to also have an anime streaming service through them. Compared to the $20 I was paying with Hulu and Funi, this is a much better deal for me. Sorry Anime Strike isn't the worst thing in the world for everyone out there, it might not be ideal for many, but not everyone is losing out here.
Not to mention, even people who don't have Prime can get a monthly subscription off and on when they want to watch something specific. $14 and you have a month to watch all of these movies(and whatever else you want!). That's easily worth it.
MJKS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote
Kudos to Amazon for having the good sense to pony up whatever fee Aniplex was asking for this. Although Netflix would have been preferable, I'm glad to see that it's available somewhere for new viewers besides physical media.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2