• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What's The Worst Anime Release You've Ever Seen?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I heard the first (and only) set of the TV series of Galaxy Express 999 released in the US was pretty horrendous.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:37 pm Reply with quote
ADV also screwed up when releasing the first two seasons of Sailor Moon uncut, the video quality wasn't that great, the sound was all garbled, episode 24 had video corruption/frame rate issues, and episode 68 (they also skipped 67 at the time) also had a sound glitch where the DiC dub version played briefly. It got to the point to where they had to try to set up a replacement program but it didn't always work and there still were problems.

These two articles explain it best here:
https://www.smuncensored.com//editorial.php?article=14
https://www.smuncensored.com//editorial.php?article=15

Pioneer's releases at the time were better, even with its grain and such the picture still looked bright and crisp to me.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Media Blasters' old Anime Works release of Madonna has no menu, just goes straight to the movie/OVA (VHS quality like the article says of some of their releases) and during the second OVA episode there's a minor glitch in the picture/maybe audio. It was also just a sub only release, which well that wasn't a big deal to me.

The Voyager releases of the Space Battleship Yamato movies, at least they gave them a menu but dear god, VHS rips with non-removable subtitles. They spent money on nice linear notes on the DVD. And also Voyager's releasing on the show itself which was just the freaking English dub Star Blazers butchered edit with the uncut scenes as extras and no Japanese language option.

The old Image DVD of Babel II the OVA which had a Japanese language track but NO Subtitles on it. Well they also had the Carl Macek Streamline dub too. They didn't even bother to provide a translation, just the raw Japanese track. In fact the old Image DVD of Lupin the 3rd: Mystery of Mamo released back in the day was a pretty big disaster with a non-anamorphic widescreen transfer with only one language option and it was the streamline English dub. Though to be fair Pioneer's version had logos censored out of it. And if I can remember past DVD releases of 8 Man After and Casshan Robot Hunter didn't have an original language track either, just the Streamline dub.

And yes I actually watched Gundress, though it was odd seeing a 1999 anime movie that looked like a GI Joe cartoon at parts in character design.

Oh and the CPM release of Venus Wars was pretty terrible, squashed picture that looked like it was in scope or something and interlaced and just awful looking, the subs weren't good either.
And thank god I still have those Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex DVDs.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:19 am Reply with quote
I must be the only person on the planet not really that annoyed about the video quality on those Sailor Moon Blu-rays. How much of that is because I couldn't afford to get the DVDs back in the day and thus just want to have it at all, and how much because I've got pretty low expectations video quality-wise for any release of a Toei early 90s show, I'm not sure.

I've copped a few of the DVDs from early in the format's life where video quality's not really there due to crummy masters and/or steps in the production process using older analogue technology, which Justin talks about in another article. And some of the earlier PAL->NTSC conversions left a bit to be desired. A couple of movies which had letterboxed video instead of anamorphic widescreen. Some of ADV's misguided efforts in using overlays instead of subtitles for translating on-screen text.

Otherwise, I've dodged all the really bad bullets. And some of the aforementioned that I did cop, I've managed to get a better release of later on.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:23 am Reply with quote
I'm very happy to have my South Korean Blu-rays for Ghost in the Shell: SAC. I recommended them to everyone who I knew was looking for the show on BD before this Anchor Bay mess even happened, and even more after I heard about it. It's a shame those are out of print now, but that's really the only and best English-friendly release for GitS: SAC out there.
tsog

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:00 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I'm very happy to have my South Korean Blu-rays for Ghost in the Shell: SAC.

Same. I found out about them just in time before the special edition ones went OOS. Pretty amazing that it's a straight-up copy of the Japanese release, from what I can tell. It's a sad state of affairs that we still don't have a good BD release of SAC here.

Anyone know how does the NISA Toradora BD's video quality compare with that of the JP's release's? When I first watched my NISA one the quality was definitely below expectations. While I know it's an upscale, it felt more like something that your typical home BD player can do than something done professionally.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:51 am Reply with quote
For me, it was probably the stream version of the Chinese bootleg fansubs of "Cyborg 009" (2001 version). Those fansubs were horrible.
Shokara

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:28 am Reply with quote
For me it wasn't an anime release, but it was a DVD from ADV Films. It was the 1968 Godzilla movie Destroy All Monsters. It was the Hong Kong produced "international" English dub (not the 1969 American produced English dub by New York based studio Titra for American International Pictures' theatrical release of the movie in the USA).

The master was the letterboxed VHS they released in 1997/98. There was no DVD menu. No extra features. No audio options. No subtitles of any kind. No chapter stops. You "skipped" to the "next chapter" and it would just start the movie all over again.

Granted, this was largely not ADV's fault but more the fault of Godzilla's owner, Toho Co., Ltd. At the time Destroy All Monsters did not yet have a domestic Japanese DVD. Thus, to prevent reverse importation by Japanese consumers, Toho mandated that ADV's DVD had to be as sub-par as it was if ADV wanted any release of said film.

Since that time the North American DVD and Blu-ray rights to Destroy All Monsters have shifted over to Media Blasters. Their current edition of the movie on both DVD and Blu-ray is fairly bare-bones. However, it's still a far cry better than what I considered one of the worst DVD releases from a professional company I've encountered in my whole personal experience with the DVD format.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:47 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
I heard the first (and only) set of the TV series of Galaxy Express 999 released in the US was pretty horrendous.

I don't know if that technically counts as an edition, as most have passed S'More's off as a big fat fraud:
They basically repackaged Toei's existing hard-subbed digital online-streaming files, and slapped them in bulk onto a DVD collection, without remastering or bothering to use original sources.

That hits so below the minimum level of "Worst Actual DVD Edition", it almost disqualifies on technicality.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:10 am Reply with quote
The Beez release of Fantastic Children was a nightmare encode. On top of that, the English dub was a Singapore jobby

Quoting from what I've written elsewhere...

Quote:
If the dub isn't bad enough, another reason why this series may not have found many to appreciate it, may be that the discs are authored by the hard of thinking. A normal disc would just have the episodes on it sequentially ordered, and you could just play all the way through. Not here. Someone has decided to split everything up. The episodes proper are all in one chunk. The opening credit sequences are in another chunk, the closing credits are in yet another chunk, and the previews in another, with the extras bunched together after that. Playing an episode involves jumping forward to the opening credits, jumping back to the episode, jumping ahead to the end credits, jumping elsewhere for the preview… As you can guess, there is a whole lot of disc crunching and grinding involved. It's even worse if you select Play All. Only someone had the half-baked idea or running the episodes through like a movie, but only omitted the opening credits after the first episode, all the end credits and previews are still in there.

As always, I was watching in Japanese with the English subtitles, but in five out of the six discs, the subtitle stream automatically switched to French after the layer change. Normally I'd just select Play All and sit back, but these are discs that instead of keeping the Play All option on the front menu screen, sticks it with the episode select, and it's actually more convenient with all the grinding and clicking, to watch each episode individually. Note that you can't just go to episode select, go straight to the chapter listing and play the first episode on the disc, you have to go through the rigmarole of actually selecting which episode you want to watch first, otherwise you get a black screen and the disc hangs.

As Beez is a European company, inserting the discs start you off with an option of English and French menu screens. The animated menus that the discs get are quite splendid, although the transitions get long pretty quick. The one disc that didn't have the subtitle swap nonsense, disc 4, actually hangs on the main menu screen when it gets to the end of the music loop, you can't select any of the options or navigate the disc, use any other of your remote buttons until you press play and start the menu screen loop again.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:25 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

They actually released two sets before giving up. Both were the exact same kind of bad. The company, S'more Entertainment, apparently refused to put any actual effort in, so they used the generic masters Toei gave out without bothering to check if there were any better ones. (Which there were, apparently Toei offered them a little later in the process, but S'more turned them down.)

You know how a few of the streaming sites have Galaxy Express 999 and Space Pirate Captain Harlock available for streaming, but the subs are burned into the video, huge, and timed really badly? S'more used those files, but made them look worse by cramming way too many episodes on a disc. The first set initially sold kind of low numbers, but the second set just failed completely. And the head of S'more complained about how picky anime viewers are.

Hey, maybe when your product is noticeably worse than the free streaming options, people have a right to be picky about it?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:59 am Reply with quote
tsog wrote:
Anyone know how does the NISA Toradora BD's video quality compare with that of the JP's release's? When I first watched my NISA one the quality was definitely below expectations. While I know it's an upscale, it felt more like something that your typical home BD player can do than something done professionally.

I haven't watched that particular version, but let me guess... ...Q-Tec upscale?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:02 am Reply with quote
Sakura Shinguji wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood had a really poor release in the UK, where they didn't make a menu system, instead just used the standard out of the box default one, didn't even replace the buttons.

That's the standard now for all of Warner Bros.' domestic mainstream (i.e. Hollywood) Blu-ray releases, which strikes me (and plenty of others) as embarrassingly lazy and unprofessional. But hey, think of all the pennies they're saving!
Oh yeah, I have Mad Max Furry Road on Blu-Ray, and that has the same lazy menu authoring, and it is made by Warner Brothers. My cope of Blade Runner has a nice menu screen, and is made by Warner Brother, though I don't know if it was authored before they got lazy or it was an exception.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:44 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Quote:
I have Mad Max Furry Road on Blu-Ray

Please tell me that is a typo for "Fury Road" I'm having a bit of trouble imagining a Mad Max movie with furries. Twisted Evil
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:31 am Reply with quote
Anchor Bay has always kinda sucked. I can't begin to name the small and large flubs they've had on various horror films and anime (as Manga Ent) over the years. Their release of End of Eva was trash too. They're a very ignorant company that routinely puts little effort into their releases. They don't seem to care much about fans either. Hoping that eventually changes since Lionsgate owns them now. Hell, I wish Lionsgate would just shut them down and take everything over themselves.

All of Warner Bros' releases have the cheap menu design. All of them. Everything from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure to IT (1990) to Batman v. Superman.

Really glad S'more gave up on anime. The guy running that company treats fans like crap if they complain, sometimes lying. He used to be one of the people running Rhino Entertainment, and did the same thing whenever fans dared complain about the problems in their Transformers releases. The good people from Rhino went to form Shout! Factory. The bad went to S'more.

As for Sailor Moon's Blu-rays, my problem isn't so much the video quality. It's how EXPENSIVE they are. You can get Viz's DVD volumes for about $20 each after they drop in price. The Blu-ray volumes are still in the neighborhood of $60-$70+ per set. The difference in quality isn't remotely worth it, and the DVDs may even look slightly better upscaled, since there's less ugly color blotching.
Yeah FUNimation's Blu-rays for DBZ have the same flaws are the orange bricks, but at least you can buy each season for less than $25.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6